Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 10:09 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,896,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramones85 View Post
there's absolutely things i do like, the weather being the main thing. i suppose my post was overly negative, and i'll probably find little quirky things i like here soon enough. i think i had my hopes a bit too high for the city, assuming that we'd be able to go out at all times in the night and find something to do...which doesn't seem to be the case. does everything really close around 9, like any suburb in america? or am i just missing parts of town?
I'm not sure where you're living or hanging out at, but my wife and I have had no problem finding places to hang...early and late. In fact, we had a meeting the other night and agreed we need to let up on the pedal a bit or we'll be broke

Try the South Congress/South First area and some of the clubs etc...West of Lavaca(4th/5th etc...)

The thing about Austin that's different from the northeast is the spacing. With the exception of downtown, things are not always right next to each other.

For example, here's the proximity of places in a typical Northeastern city:

Here's Austin:

Get it

The reason for this is that Austin developed during and after mass automobile use(hence the poor sidewalk design and general disrespect towards pedestrians) whereas the Northeast developed initially around pedestrian/mass transit traffic.

P.S. This was not meant to cast judgement as to which is better, just an observation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 11:32 AM

290 posts, read 1,180,834 times
I hope Austin stays boring for most of you

Old 10-03-2007, 12:39 PM

106 posts, read 391,656 times
twange-i suppose we'll give that area a shot, maybe i'm just not trying hard enough to find the right things to do. thanks!

Old 10-03-2007, 08:04 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,107,813 times
If living in Austin bores you, try San Antonio .San Antonio's downtown will keep you busy, 2 historic arts districts, hundreds of dining possibilties, scores of clubs street level and on Riverwalk.Festivals of all sorts going on weekly.Austin is a nice place to live, and you have San Antonio close by.The San Antonio-Austin region is one of the fastest growing in the country.Give Austin a try.

Old 10-04-2007, 01:23 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,872,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramones85 View Post
twange-i suppose we'll give that area a shot, maybe i'm just not trying hard enough to find the right things to do. thanks!
Don't try too hard, Austin is overhyped and is an acquired taste. Always has been. Many people do not acquire it. It doesn't mean anything if you do or do not like it here -- just go where it seems right for you!

Old 10-04-2007, 08:40 PM

118 posts, read 296,120 times
If my wife and I can find decent jobs and raise our 3 kids in a nice neighborhood, and enjoy hot/warm weather 10 months of the year we are all for it!!!!Beats the Northern snow anyday

Old 10-04-2007, 10:34 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texastea View Post
Welcome and I hope you've found things you DO like

You say "sluggish". We say friendly and laid-back...
she's right though. i'm a native (just returned here from 15 years in calif), but i forgot just how slow the people are over here. good customer service also seems to be lacking, except for the abundance of yessir, no sir, excuse me, thank you. i am still shocked at how friendly my people are here (texans). i had forgotten all of these things, but i'm glad that i have discovered them again. when i find myself cursing the ubiquitous slow driver (there are many) or the customer service rep that won't get back to me when they say, i try to focus on the positive ways that people here enhance a stressful/uneventful day with their kindness/smiles.

Old 10-06-2007, 01:30 AM

343 posts, read 1,608,043 times
Thumbs up Since when is laid-back NOT a good thing?

Per the aggravation of Austinites chatting each other up in the grocers'
queue, I would think that a very good thing. In Chicago, you get the
elevator effect, when everyone essentially pretends no one else is there,
whereas the chatting up actually affirms other folks existance. In this
short little life we have on earth, a 5-minute unexpected segue like this
is greatly welcomed. You see the same thing on the streets. You can chat
up the majority of people here, even in the suburban outposts. While road
rage is similar to the rest, at least when Austinites get out of their cars,
they can be mighty good and kindly. I remember the first couple weeks I
first came here, a package fell off my cart at Target, and a guy walks over
and places it back on the cart. The kids at the H-E-Bs here actually smile
and seem to enjoy life here. I had a kid walk through the whole store to get me a copy of the Chronicle once. It's pretty much like that everywhere here.
I've met people at outdoor events here, and end up walking down the street
chatting with them after the event like old friends. Finally, I made more friends here in 3 months than I did the last 10 years in Chicago. I mean,
I go to a minor league game in round rock, and end up good friends with this
guy sitting next to me with his kid, and he ends up getting me a job at DELL.
I'm going to a monthly get-together by Barton Springs that has been going on for 35 years, and met lots of people there. If you are into people that
give you the New York - Chicago -LA "elevator effect", totally dissing your
existence, staring straight ahead, then stay and wear that comfortable
cloak of group anonymity. It's ironic, but so true, that you can meet far more
people in Austin than NY - Chicago - LA ETC. On the other hand, you can
spend 10 years in Chicago and meet no one, though you certainly pass by thousands. Give me the easy, sometimes conversation-clogging in the supermarket aisle ways of Austin anytime over the souless masses in the major cities!

Old 10-06-2007, 10:21 AM

1,035 posts, read 4,464,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking2tex View Post
If my wife and I can find decent jobs and raise our 3 kids in a nice neighborhood, and enjoy hot/warm weather 10 months of the year we are all for it!!!!Beats the Northern snow anyday
Then you'll love it!

Old 10-06-2007, 09:19 PM

106 posts, read 391,656 times
i think i'm in a much better mood about austin now. i've seen a bit more of the life around here and am enjoying it. although i think i'll leave for NYC after my lease is up, it's a nice place to spend a year. i've been thinking austin is the place i'd love to settle in and raise a family...but i'd like to spend more time in a faster area before that happens. thanks for the advice on getting to the right areas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin