Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 02:56 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,869,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_spirit View Post
Yea when Mom2Feebs stated "please let Austin stay just like it is" I was thinking not today's Austin. I would have asked for Austin pre-1990 if I could make a wish and have it come true!
It's all perspective my friend. I would never have moved here pre-1990. As quaint as they are, small college towns are not my thing Not yet, anyway...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 03:44 PM

15,232 posts, read 35,410,327 times
Actually, even in pre-90, it was more than a college town. The two main differences I see are the traffic and pollution. See the clear sky over the city today? That is what it looked like on a bad day .

PS Sorry 'bout the Indians, Twange . I was actually rooting for them, 'cause I had no reason at all to root for the sox....

Old 10-23-2007, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Actually, even in pre-90, it was more than a college town. The two main differences I see are the traffic and pollution. See the clear sky over the city today? That is what it looked like on a bad day .

PS Sorry 'bout the Indians, Twange . I was actually rooting for them, 'cause I had no reason at all to root for the sox....
Thanks. I'm actually angry not bummed. What a choke job. Both 1 &2 pitchers sucked and our lead-off and clean-up hitters totally disappeared. Same old song and dance in that sports town...

Go Browns.

Old 10-23-2007, 05:17 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,316,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
No place stays "just like it is". That's simply unrealistic. Try to manage the change in a positive manner.

Your's truthfully,
Lord

It's called tongue-in-cheek. Trying to be a bit lighthearted, that's all.

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 10-23-2007 at 05:20 PM.. Reason: personal

Old 10-23-2007, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
It's called tongue-in-cheek. Trying to be a bit lighthearted, that's all.
I know, I know. I was just being silly...

Old 10-23-2007, 06:06 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,316,211 times
Gotcha!

Old 10-26-2007, 09:58 PM

343 posts, read 1,604,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by white rob View Post
Please enlighten me: how is a comparison of NYC and Dallas fair while a comparison of NYC and Phoenix requires categorisation?
I would include Phoenix as well, considering the city is the 4th largest now, and the metro is over 4 million. Just simply overlooked it. I do think that covers all big cities that are comparable in any way with NYC.

Old 10-26-2007, 10:26 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,959,837 times
Here's an idea. You won't like it hear. Your mind is already made up. So, don't move here.

That was easy. Next subject please.

Old 10-30-2007, 03:17 PM

12 posts, read 52,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramones85 View Post
I've just moved to Austin from the Northeastern part of the U.S (Pennsylvania) and have found it quite boring as well.
First off, alcohol isn't sold after midnight?!
Secondly, the accessibility of the city surprised me. In New York (or even Philly) I could be in a different part of town in minutes, which is definitely not the case here.
Another thing I'm having trouble getting accustomed to is the sluggish-ness of the people. It seems like everywhere I go, (namely the H.E.B) people are taking their time. I expected things to be a bit slower here, with it being the south and such, but my god, people just stop to chat anywhere they please.

I suppose it may take some getting used to...I'm living here for the next 12 months, at least. I'm trying to give austin a decent chance, but so far, it seems like a pseudo-city to me. Any advice on how to feel more comfortable would be appreciated.
I actually consider the "chatty" thing to be a good thing. I was born in New Orleans, and lived there until Katrina. New Orleans tends to be the kind of place where people chat in line at stores and so forth. If you're in a line of four people at the grocery store, you talk to the people around you, it's that simple.

After the storm, I spent six months in rural western Massachusetts. There , if you tried to talk to someone in a long line at the store, they looked at you as if you had lost your mind. It's nice to be somewhere again where people actually talk.

Granted, I'm from the south natively, but I still found the NE to be very unfriendly, and Austin much more so. (Also, Austin is much more polite. People in Massachusetts didn't have any problem saying thing to me like, "You don't talk like you're from the south, you talk like you've had an education.")

I can see, however, how the lack of the fast-paced "get everything done yesterday" attitude of the NE can make someone frustrated if life moves a little slower. A dedicated city-boy, I didn't do well in the rural areas.

As far as my suggestion as to how to fit in better. . .well, doing more in the area north of the city might give you more of the move move move, business-first attitude that you're used to. I can't really speak on the transportation situation, I think that that is a problem with the way the city is laid out. Except for downtown, nothing is a grid, so there are few short cuts. If you try to get off the main drag to cut through to another, you're likely to wind up in a maze of curving streets.

I agree with the alcohol after midnight problem, but to me, it's more a problem of the fact that surprisingly, Austin is *not* a 24hr town. That was the biggest adjustment for me. I've always been nocturnal, and almost always worked nights (including now). In New Orleans, I could get just about anything I wanted at 3am that I could get at 3pm. In Austin, it's hard to even get coffee 24hrs. (Check out Epoch, though, best 24hr coffee place I've found.)

I'm pretty high-strung myself, (as you can guess from the fact that I'm looking for espresso at 3am) and I can get frustrated when I have to wait, but you get used to it. Break out of your shell, and chat with the people in line, thumb through a magazine, something.

Still you have to realize, that it's not a pseudo-city, it's just a different city. I lived in New Orleans (a city that many people, before and after the storm, loathe) all my life until the storm, and I loved it. I'm counting the days until I can move home, but I'm not going to pretend that I can change Austin into New Orleans. Yes, if I had unlimited power, I would make all the streets grids, make it rain more, make everything open 24hrs, and make a less-optimistic bohemian scene, but I can't. I'm willing to also recognize that if Austin would become New Orleans overnight, my fellow evacuees and I might be happy, but native Austinites would miss their city.

So find your own little slice of Wherever, wherever you are. We have to realize that the cities are there before us. I had a possible job offer (which fell through) which would have required me to move to the Rio Grande Valley. I asked for advice, said what I wanted, and was told, "Your best bet is Brownsville, but you'll probably find it someone boring, you'd be bored out of your skull elsewhere in the RGV." Which is probably true. But if I had chosen to move there (if hte offer had worked out) for more money in order to move back home quicker, I would have taken my lumps, and adjusted as best I could.

Austin isn't Pennsylvania. It isn't New Orleans either. Personally, I'm counting the days until I move home, but, realistically, that's a couple of years away, most likely. Rural Massachusetts and I had irreconcilable differences. There is *no* way I would have been happy there. I like Austin and can get along here for quite some time, until it's time to go. That doesn't mean that I don't want to go home, but it also doesn't mean I won't come back to visit Austin when I do.

Until then, when in Rome. . .

Old 10-31-2007, 01:05 AM
fil

364 posts, read 1,622,018 times
ramones85,
You're almost there, Austin is really a large town disguised as a city. Think Harrisburg, PA.

I'm from Albany, NY and Austin is about the same less the weather difference and liberal makeup.

Frankly speaking, Atlanta also is a bunch of suburbs thrown around a lame downtown.

As for boring, it's what you make of it.
Look for the things that you like/love and it can be home.

I can say this about almost any city/town at this point; altough the beach sounds appealing to me again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin