Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 07:14 PM

206 posts, read 370,140 times

Advertisements

Once in a lifetime rates so good that no one will want to ever sell their houses. Will this phenomena freeze the pre-2013 built housing ma buying am experket for the next 15 years? Why would anyone ever sell what they have and buy back into rates of 10% or more? Are the days of move up buyers over when the rates climb? Houses paid off and all others paid for cash afterwards . Thats my plan and im nit the only one. I plan to pay off in 10 year save cash for the next one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 08:01 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,873,665 times
Well, logic would dictate that when rates creep back up, there will be some downward pressure on prices (unless of course there is across the board inflation, including in salaries). So people won't stop moving, but the "sweet spot" of affordable monthly payments will cause some prices to come down.

Regardless, though... buying a house in cash when rates are at such historical lows is a really bad idea. It's almost financial malfeasance, if you carry any other existing debt whatsoever (which will have a higher percentage rate), or even plan on carrying debt in the future for anything (cars, credit cards, school, etc). All of those would be better places to put your cash than in a home when you can get such cheap financing.

Please do check with a financial planner before making such a decision.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:14 PM

361 posts, read 1,163,506 times
I think the opposite...it's adding liquidity to the market. If you own now, you don't necessarily have a great rate depending on when you bought and if you have refinanced. Also, if you sell now, it makes sense you will also buy now and the interest rate risk is mitigated to a great extent.

It's a great time to upgrade and I think many people are doing so.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:51 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suit-n-tie white guy View Post
Once in a lifetime rates so good that no one will want to ever sell their houses. Will this phenomena freeze the pre-2013 built housing ma buying am experket for the next 15 years? Why would anyone ever sell what they have and buy back into rates of 10% or more? Are the days of move up buyers over when the rates climb? Houses paid off and all others paid for cash afterwards . Thats my plan and im nit the only one. I plan to pay off in 10 year save cash for the next one
"housing ma buying am experket for the next 15 years?"

"and im nit the"

???

Old 03-15-2012, 12:40 PM

My smart phone butchers my posts every once ina while.

housing market for the next 15 years

thats the english version

Old 03-15-2012, 12:42 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,622,212 times
Eh, I remember (although I was too young to own a house ) when interest rates were 10% plus. People still bought houses. At some point it will affect the amount a house can sell for (depressing prices), but when ya gotta move, ya gotta move.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:45 PM

361 posts, read 1,163,506 times
Okay, I think read your question incorrectly. I guess you mean down the road when rates eventually rise. As someone pointed out, prices should adjust til an equilibrium is met.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenPlastic View Post
Okay, I think read your question incorrectly. I guess you mean down the road when rates eventually rise. As someone pointed out, prices should adjust til an equilibrium is met.
So if prices adjust and homes are going to lose inflation-adjusted value then how are the people buying now going to unload their houses and walk away with any significant profit to roll into the next house???? The underwriters only want to know how much the house is worth, and how much it selling for. they dont care if interest rates are 3% or 15% or what effect that has on the monthly payment. The people buying now will basically need to pay off the house and bring all cahs next time or get bent over when the try to trade up in a 15% loan environment. THey wont want the new 15% rate after paying 4% for the last decade. They wont have the equity they were planning on. The lock-step rate increase from now on will cap the prices. People buying now out of panic are going to have real regrets if they find out they didnt really like the house as much as they thought they did.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:02 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,622,212 times
Quote:
15% loan environment.
When was the last time we were there? Not saying it can't happen, but it is more likely a 6-7% peak loan rate. It was 10-12% (IIRC) in the late 70s. People had bought at much lower rates prior to that, yet the housing market did not freeze up.

I am not an economics expert by any stretch, but for 15% rates to exist, there would have to be hyper inflation, which would affect your pay, as well.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:07 PM

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin