Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 05:01 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
With a Master Gardener wife(a GEORGIA Master Gardener--VERY different here in cen-Tex ), my job was to care for the trees and keep the lawn looking good. ... Etc.
I'm worn out just reading about all that work...

This reminds me of another benefit of xeriscaping... ease of maintenance. The whole manicured lawn thing is very time-consuming, and you either have to invest a lot of time and effort in it yourself, or invest the money to hire someone else to do it for you, and frankly, I'd much rather invest my time and money in other things.

Of course you COULD pasture sheep, or maybe llamas (if you have the acreage for it) to keep the grass clipped for you, but your HOA might disagree.

That's another thing that wears me out... HOAs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 10:24 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,548,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I'm worn out just reading about all that work...

This reminds me of another benefit of xeriscaping... ease of maintenance. The whole manicured lawn thing is very time-consuming, and you either have to invest a lot of time and effort in it yourself, or invest the money to hire someone else to do it for you, and frankly, I'd much rather invest my time and money in other things.

Of course you COULD pasture sheep, or maybe llamas (if you have the acreage for it) to keep the grass clipped for you, but your HOA might disagree.

That's another thing that wears me out... HOAs.
Good one! Actually, the 'work' is more an approach to caring for the lawn(and trees). Sure, I mow more often than most neighbors, but I have a 1/3 acre lot...half of what we had in Atlanta. Thirty minutes in the front, thirty minutes in the back. Add 15 minutes to edge/trim every other mow. Blowing doesn't 'count' since I have to blow/sweep even on some days with no other work(this time of the year and for the next couple of weeks, anyway). All the other 'stuff' is just a thought process...no extraneous chemicals, mow at the right time, etc.

The xeri/zero-scaping will take place in our back yard this year. I'll likely reduce the lawn area by 25% or so, primarily in the areas hardest hit by the sun and last years drought. Main interest is the large Live Oaks and couple of Cedar Elms that provide nice early day shade for the house/deck/patio. It's not exactly a 'football-frisbee' type of yard, anyway. No need for a great expanse of grass. Fortunately, we have a couple hundred yards of 'greenspace' behind our back fence...makes the yard look like it never ends!(AND, so far this year, it's actually GREEN ! )

Old 03-22-2012, 01:00 PM

1,445 posts, read 3,267,649 times
My lawn is coming out of dormancy earlier this year. With the all recent rains, it's pretty much green now. (for the most part)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neddy View Post
At this point my yard has some weeds but lots of grass (bermuda) seems to still be "dormant". I have lived here most my life but never seen this before..seeing that the drought seems to be going on should I just start digging and put in xeriscaping or give it another month To see what happens? I know spring was really early this year so my timing is off..
TIA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin