Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 02:15 PM

37 posts, read 87,908 times

Advertisements

What's the definition of "a piece of trash"? In fact, you can be a piece of trash in RRPD's eyes or any police. There are only < 1% of our population are truly criminally evil. Disadvantage is a friend when people found themselves caught in bad cycles. Police work is to assistant folks to going through the bad cycles with order and respect, not adding more violence and chaos. I really do not want to hear one more police deadly shoot out for non-crime incident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 02:44 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,399,291 times
Speak English.

Old 09-15-2013, 03:27 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,693,254 times
Police Work is not to assist people through hard times. There are other State Agencies for that. The job of a policeman/woman is to serve and protect and to arrest people who are breaking the law. And by Serve, I mean in a rule of law sense.

Old 09-15-2013, 09:03 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Yes, and no. Some of the freedoms that are restricted did not exist 200 years ago. I am free to go to Tokyo tomorrow, if I want. I am free to talk to pretty much 1/2 the people in the world in the next 5 minutes if I have a number. I live in a country with no slaves, women can vote, etc. There was no biological warfare 200 years ago, and many of the deviants that we need protection against would have been executed/let die 200 years ago.

Isn't liberty, sweet!
Enjoy!

Old 09-15-2013, 09:05 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
Police Work is not to assist people through hard times. There are other State Agencies for that. The job of a policeman/woman is to serve and protect and to arrest people who are breaking the law. And by Serve, I mean in a rule of law sense.

Well. I'd like to know when serve & protect, turned into bully and clean up the mess, after the fact.

Old 09-17-2013, 06:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,530 times
Not just RR, Austin, Cedar Park, Leander is about the same. I am a retired Air Force officer, 22 yrs. Lived in Austin area now over 20 yrs. We travel twice a year to visit relatives and to sight see the USA. We have never, ever, seen such a "police state" as the Austin / round rock areas. Now, we haven't had any tickets or issues with the police in many years, it is just sad to say I cannot drive 15 minutes without seeing 5 or 6 police cars hiding between the 40mph and 45mph speed signs just waiting to pounce. Pathetic waste of manpower. Not whining, just an observation!
Austin is crying it doesn't have enough officers....really? How about toning down the traffic cops and dealing with real crime issues. How about training officers not to shoot or harass unarmed citizens. When we travel we always get a rental car and never see near the police presence as in the Austin area. Large cities, Vancouver, Seattle, Milwaukee, Salt Lake City, none of them come close to what is going on here, we rarely even see a police car when we travel other major cities. I am NOT talking about crime statistics, I am talking about how we now seem to have police on every other street corner.
I just don't trust the cops I have seen or spoken with here. It's a very different world from what I worked, when a cop car gets behind me now I just pull over or into a gas station because I don't trust them anymore and I don't want them behind me. They tend to shoot first and ask questions later, or pull you over for just because they are bored. We are now in our 60's and we can still handle ourselves in emergencies. We don't need so many predatory cops out there, we don't dial 9-1-1 here, and we don't get traffic tickets because we don't speed. So, why does Austin / RR need so many traffic cops? We were always taught that as police officers we needed to keep a low profile and deal with the problems as they occur, now the police seem to be out there causing more problems than they fix. The police need to quit stirring up trouble and quit stalking honest hard working citizens with bogus speed traps, harassing the homeless, and stop shooting unarmed citizens in the back of the neck.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:11 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,550,348 times
Interesting first post.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:24 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
First, if you aren't speeding, then it doesn't matter how many cop cars are out there, does it? That's the whine (yes, it IS whining) that I hear from people who get caught doing something wrong and don't want to own up to it.

Second, I live here year round, have since 1969, and in my job drive a LOT of the area. I do see cop cars occasionally (saw two today, in fact, but given that I was one block from the police station at the time, that didn't particularly surprise me), but hardly hordes of them all the time. Certain times I'll see a lot of them on I35, usually holidays that are famous for both travel and drinking. I just set it on cruise control and don't worry about it. Where the heck are you driving that you're seeing five or six cop cars every 15 minutes?

You may be seeing more than you're used to, however, because with so many people from so many other places with so many different driving customs/laws moving here, many of them trying to keep driving by the same laws and custom as where they came from or just not acclimated yet, you can get some real dangerous driving going on out there even if someone hasn't decided that the traffic laws don't apply to them. If having a cop car visible makes folks pay more attention to their driving, that's money well spent on prevention, I'd say. But, then, I do take responsibility for the consequences of my own actions and don't blame the cops if I get caught speeding or doing something else wrong - that is, after all, what we pay them to do.

Old 09-29-2013, 06:07 PM

37 posts, read 87,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldkarma View Post
Not just RR, Austin, Cedar Park, Leander is about the same. I am a retired Air Force officer, 22 yrs. Lived in Austin area now over 20 yrs. We travel twice a year to visit relatives and to sight see the USA. We have never, ever, seen such a "police state" as the Austin / round rock areas. Now, we haven't had any tickets or issues with the police in many years, it is just sad to say I cannot drive 15 minutes without seeing 5 or 6 police cars hiding between the 40mph and 45mph speed signs just waiting to pounce. Pathetic waste of manpower. Not whining, just an observation!
Austin is crying it doesn't have enough officers....really? How about toning down the traffic cops and dealing with real crime issues. How about training officers not to shoot or harass unarmed citizens. When we travel we always get a rental car and never see near the police presence as in the Austin area. Large cities, Vancouver, Seattle, Milwaukee, Salt Lake City, none of them come close to what is going on here, we rarely even see a police car when we travel other major cities. I am NOT talking about crime statistics, I am talking about how we now seem to have police on every other street corner.
I just don't trust the cops I have seen or spoken with here. It's a very different world from what I worked, when a cop car gets behind me now I just pull over or into a gas station because I don't trust them anymore and I don't want them behind me. They tend to shoot first and ask questions later, or pull you over for just because they are bored. We are now in our 60's and we can still handle ourselves in emergencies. We don't need so many predatory cops out there, we don't dial 9-1-1 here, and we don't get traffic tickets because we don't speed. So, why does Austin / RR need so many traffic cops? We were always taught that as police officers we needed to keep a low profile and deal with the problems as they occur, now the police seem to be out there causing more problems than they fix. The police need to quit stirring up trouble and quit stalking honest hard working citizens with bogus speed traps, harassing the homeless, and stop shooting unarmed citizens in the back of the neck.
Sarah Harrington -only 31 years old from Williamson County......someone's daughter, sister or mother. We do not even allow to kill a street dog but why 2 shootings in one week were okay? She was killed by ....

• Martin Flores - employed with Round Rock Police Dept. 11 years, 9 months
  • Logan Harper-Hill - employed with Round Rock Police Dept. 2 years, 2 months
  • Aaron Ballew - employed with Round Rock Police Dept. 1 year, 9 months
We need justices.

Old 09-29-2013, 07:15 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,693,254 times
Out of curiosity, I googled her name. The story says she came out of a bar in Downtown Round Rock, and someone called 911 saying she had a gun. They found her at the Plaza, and she wouldn't give up the gun. Somewhere in there they used pepper balls and tazers, but the article says she pulled the gun and aimed it at the officers. They then shot her. Maybe I'm just a dumb old Gen-X'er, but I was always taught that it's NEVER a good idea to point a firearm at a cop. Yes, she was someone's daughter, sister or maybe mother (the article doesn't say), but that didn't help her to make a very good choice in what she supposedly did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin