Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 01:58 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,550,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by S6Sputnik View Post
Cops are a pain in the neck!

But if we didn't have them around, we would deal with much greater pains, so I'll take what they dish my way with a smile and write them a check when required!

I'm on year 7 in Texas without a front licence plate
and only one fix it ticket so far it came with a speeding ticket in Bastrup.
Maybe the PO-lice thought our Volvos were some sort of wise-guy vehicles and used the non-tag as an excuse to check us out! It pained me greatly to drill those holes in our nice vehicles; but comply we did. Actually, when we got here in '08, we heard the legislature was considering eliminating the front tags(until they were persuaded otherwise). Of course, the front tag requirement doesn't really work if it's not enforced. Think of the money that could be saved with only one tag required. At the rate they are changing speed limits signs, the savings would come in mighty handy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 02:04 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,094,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S6Sputnik View Post
Cops are a pain in the neck!

But if we didn't have them around, we would deal with much greater pains, so I'll take what they dish my way with a smile and write them a check when required!

I'm on year 7 in Texas without a front licence plate and only one fix it ticket so far it came with a speeding ticket in Bastrup.
Yes and yes.

But hmmm...7 years in Texas (I'm assuming Austin) without a front license plate? 13 years in Austin for me without a front license plate, and within weeks of moving to Round Rock...bam....for both me and my husband.

But as another poster pointed out, apparently, RRPD has more of a presence, so they can pay attention to the trifles. So you win some, you lose some.

Oh!!...but I forgot about one generous RR police officer. I was on my way to drop my son off at school, and I got pulled over in a neighborhood. First, I was like...WOW...in heart of a neighborhood, they FOUND me. Seriously, though, this was deep in a neighborhood where I'd never seen a police officer. But anyway, when he asked why I thought he stopped me, I seriously had no idea, but since I'm a lead-footer, I automatically assumed I might have been speeding a tad, so I said..."Going too fast????" He told me no, I was driving the speed limit, but I barely rolled to a stop at the stop sign, so he got me for the notorious "Hollywood Stop." He asked me where I was headed, and I told him football practice for my son. That seemed to light a sparkle in his eye, and he told me he'd let me go for the "Hollywood Stop," but in exchange, he was going to write me up for my expired inspection - but he didn't write it before informing me that it won't be too much trouble to get it taken care of.

Needless to say, that was a good day. So as I said before, I know the purpose of the PD. I know that there is more good than bad. I just sometimes want to get on my soapbox and vent. That is all!

Old 05-07-2012, 02:31 PM

33 posts, read 126,998 times
Quote:
I must say, I really do not get why it is such a big deal around here NOT to put a front plate on your car.
Seriously? That's probably because of the fact that a lot of cars don't have brackets for front plates, or pre-drilled holes, so it often means drilling holes into your car. On certain makes, there isn't even a good place to mount the front plate due to the design of the car.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:43 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,633,631 times
Quote:
On certain makes, there isn't even a good place to mount the front plate due to the design of the car.
So, the design of the car is different if it is sold in Texas to provide a place to put the plate?

Old 05-07-2012, 02:50 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bld44 View Post
Seriously? That's probably because of the fact that a lot of cars don't have brackets for front plates, or pre-drilled holes, so it often means drilling holes into your car. On certain makes, there isn't even a good place to mount the front plate due to the design of the car.
Funny, it doesn't seem to be a problem anywhere else. But then again, in other 30+ states where two plates are mandatory dealers do that for you automatically.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
So, the design of the car is different if it is sold in Texas to provide a place to put the plate?
Wow. Just wow.

Quote:
Funny, it doesn't seem to be a problem anywhere else. But then again, in other 30+ states where two plates are mandatory dealers do that for you automatically.
I guess you've lived in those "30+ states" and can speak for each and every one of them? Are you trying to say that the dealerships are causing the problem?

And FYI, there are currently 21 states that don't require front plates, not including DC or US territories.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:55 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
Quote:
I guess you've lived in those "30+ states" and can speak for each and every one of them?
Relax. I've lived in enough of them, and I've visited all of them many, many times. It's enough of a sampling for me. It's not neuroscience here, it's a casual conversation.

Quote:
Are you trying to say that the dealerships are causing the problem?
At the very least it's aiding and abetting. What else would you call it when the law requires two license plates and the dealer only mounts one license plate holder?

Quote:
And FYI, there are currently 21 states that don't require front plates, not including DC or US territories.
I took an offhand stab at 30+. Guess I was a tad premature, but then again, a couple of states are changing over to dual plates soon. Why? Because it's better redundancy for the new camera technologies, which are increasingly being used for toll collection and traffic enforcement.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:33 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
OpenD, your offhand stab was pretty accurate. Let's see: 51 states total. 21 states that don't require front plates. That leaves 30 states that DO.

In any case, just because you don't like a law, however minor, or it isn't the law where you USED to live but is where you now live, doesn't mean that the police officer who is charged with enforcing ALL of the laws is being mean to you because you get caught breaking it. It's called taking responsibility for the consequences of your own actions (or inactions, in this case). If you choose to break that law, fine. Just admit that you are in the wrong when you get caught (as some on here have, others, not so much), and take your medicine like a big boy or girl without whining.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:54 AM

125 posts, read 293,886 times
I have to agree with the analysis that the Round Rock police are out of control. But I can also understand if you have not experienced this you would disagree. If you have a teenager in Round Rock you have seen the abuse. I have not received a ticket for any infraction and have no axe to grind. There are some overly aggressive police officers in Round Rock. While I appreciate the low crime rate here I do not appreciate the constant abuse of power against kids.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
51 states total.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin