Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 02:05 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times

Advertisements

50 states and D.C, I guess.....they can enact their own laws (such as right turns on red used to be (maybe still are) illegal).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 03:25 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
50 states and D.C, I guess.....they can enact their own laws (such as right turns on red used to be (maybe still are) illegal).
My memory ain't what it used to be; but I recall South Carolina(my home state) being the last to allow right-turn-on-red and that was back in the '70s or '80s. I got a kick whenever I drove on Ft. Jackson and could make the right on red legally back then.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:44 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Yes, way back in the day when the last state was added, we were taught that District of Columbia counted when counting or listing the states.

Right turn on red used to be illegal in Texas, come to that. That changed after I learned to drive and I had a hard time believing it!

Old 05-22-2012, 06:34 PM

7 posts, read 13,277 times
I have seen their budget and would volunteer more of my taxes. They don't get paid enough and have to deal with way to many idiots just to keep RR safe. No support here buddy!

Old 05-22-2012, 09:30 PM

719 posts, read 2,666,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
I have to agree with the analysis that the Round Rock police are out of control. But I can also understand if you have not experienced this you would disagree. If you have a teenager in Round Rock you have seen the abuse. I have not received a ticket for any infraction and have no axe to grind. There are some overly aggressive police officers in Round Rock. While I appreciate the low crime rate here I do not appreciate the constant abuse of power against kids.
the consensus among teenagers here is that RRPD (and WilCo. law enforcement in general) is particularly merciless. i've never had any experiences, but i've heard stories about people getting pulled over and searched under questionable grounds (like having "dim" license plate lights, etc.).

Old 05-23-2012, 05:48 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
"I hear stories".

I haven't heard any stories about RR cops shooting "good kids" every year like APD does.

Yes, there are some abusive cops in every large PD and should be dealt with properly according to local & state policy, but they are vastly outnumbered by multitudes of criminals, crazed drug addicts, & juvenile delinquents that are running free 24/7 everywhere.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:31 AM

3,787 posts, read 7,000,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
"I hear stories".

I haven't heard any stories about RR cops shooting "good kids" every year like APD does.

Yes, there are some abusive cops in every large PD and should be dealt with properly according to local & state policy, but they are vastly outnumbered by multitudes of criminals, crazed drug addicts, & juvenile delinquents that are running free 24/7 everywhere.

And, some of those "crazed drug addicts" all have valid prescriptions from a licensed doctor. To the question are RR police out of control: I don't know but will chime in if I get stopped or someone in the family has an encounter. So far so good in RR. No comment on Wilco.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:10 AM

Well, if you want to go that route, then IIRC legal prescription medications from a licensed physician have a warning about operating machinery and/or vehicles.

"Under the influence" isn't restricted to alcohol & illicit drugs. Remember the lady who ran over & killed the fellow at a Guadalupe bus stop a couple months ago?
The Hydrocodone Mrs.Sco was prescribed by her physician after her ankle operation had such a warning.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:15 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
FWIW, I've been pulled over a few times in Williamson County over the past 15 years. Quite rightly, I might add - an expired inspection sticker in one case, speeding a bit in another, and changing lanes without signaling in the third. (Late at night, didn't think there was anybody around.) In all cases the officers, whether city police or highway patrol, were polite.

I was also pulled over a couple of times as a teenage driver back in the dark ages in Dallas. Yes, I earned it by doing one of the dumb things teenaged drivers do when their parents aren't looking, but do you think that was the story I told my Mom? Not hardly!

Hint, parents. If your kid is being pulled over a lot, don't automatically think it's all the fault of harassment by the Big Bad Cop. Could be, but the odds really are that it isn't.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:36 AM

Nobody's denying there are bad cops in Wilco or Round Rock.

Like bad doctors, lawyers, teachers, etc.....they are everywhere, but that doesn't mean those professions are "out of control".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin