U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 11:06 PM

28 posts, read 42,691 times

Advertisements

After a lot of research on good elementary schools we moved into a rental in the NW Hills neighborhood (between 2222 & far west) that feeds into Doss. Really happy with the school, my son needs some accomodations and the school/staff has been wonderful. The issue that is nagging at me is that the people in the neighnorhood are not very friendly and seem cold. Ex. Lots of people walk outside but no one says hi unless you do, even then a reply is not common, if we see one of our neighbors, we'll go up to them but they don't come up to us or really try and converse. Actually, the few interactions I've had have been because of a complaint (our dog was whining and we got yelled at the first day we moved in for not driving the moving truck down the middle of the road--apparently.we could've hit a tree. I've only been here a couple of months but that's normally been more than enough time to get to know people.

We hope to buy in a year but I've kinda changed my mind about this neighborhood. Maybe we've been spoiled. we had block captains (welcome committees) and parties at my old hood. People sat out in their front lawns and had a glass of wine or two while the kids played and people made an effort to get to know each other.

Anywhere like that in Austin porfavor? suggestions?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 11:11 PM

1,938 posts, read 5,977,729 times
We loved our time in Circle C Ranch. Our street was very close knit and family-like and this included many families in the mix...retirees, those with young kids, some without.

One thought...do you think people see you as renters and therefore "temporary" and maybe not people they want to develop a relationship with only for them to leave? I know that sounds kind of silly...but people can be, well, silly sometimes.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastrigirl View Post
We loved our time in Circle C Ranch. Our street was very close knit and family-like and this included many families in the mix...retirees, those with young kids, some without.

One thought...do you think people see you as renters and therefore "temporary" and maybe not people they want to develop a relationship with only for them to leave? I know that sounds kind of silly...but people can be, well, silly sometimes.
I thought the same thing. Would we be treated differently? It's been a long time since we've been renters but find it hard to believe that it would make that much of a difference. We're older, have kids, and when we're walking no one knows we rent. At first I thought it was a fluke but my husband and I almost laugh about it now. Is it this particular neighborhood, just our immediate area, or is a lot of austin like this.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:08 AM

709 posts, read 1,209,772 times
Pretty much all of South Austin is extremely friendly. Especially the neighborhoods in 78704. It very much reminds me of by neighborhood in London, Camden Town. Only much smaller. lol. But it still has that same friendly, fun and outgoing feeling.

We used to live in the Bouldin Creek neighborhood and would walk every night and visit with all our neighbors. Everyone in that area does that pretty much every night. We would also go over to friends in other neighborhoods in 78704 and walk with them and their neighborhoods all had different flavors but the neighbors visit one another much like ours did.

In addition to South Austin, some other neighborhoods we have walked with our friends and enjoyed and found very friendly are Allandale, Hyde Park, and more recently some friend moved to the new Mueller Developments in East Austin and we have been enjoying visiting them and walking and visiting their neighbors.

We currently live in Westlake and it is far less neighborly than South Austin was. Everyone is kind as can be. People stop and talk for a bit, and always wave as you walk past or they drive by. It is just that people in my neighborhood in Westlake seem a lot busier and not as outgoing as Bouldin. In Bouldin we would take our glasses of wine and it would be refilled far to many times by the time found our way back home. lol. In Westlake that just doesn't happen.

On the renter thing.. I have found renters tend to be far more outgoing. So in neighborhoods with more renters just seem to be much friendlier areas. This is probably one of the reasons my neighborhood in Westlake is so much less friendly. Everyone owns their houses in Westlake.

Last edited by BevoLJ; 03-28-2012 at 12:16 AM..

Old 03-28-2012, 07:00 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,603,251 times
Our neighborhood in Cedar Park, Walsh Trails, is very much that way but we have no amenities other than an underground tunnel access to the Brushy Creek trail/park system across Brushy Creek Road from us. So if you're looking for a place with amenities, our neighborhood wouldn't be it. But we are friendly and social!

Old 03-28-2012, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoLJ View Post
Pretty much all of South Austin is extremely friendly. Especially the neighborhoods in 78704. It very much reminds me of by neighborhood in London, Camden Town. Only much smaller. lol. But it still has that same friendly, fun and outgoing feeling.

We used to live in the Bouldin Creek neighborhood and would walk every night and visit with all our neighbors. Everyone in that area does that pretty much every night. We would also go over to friends in other neighborhoods in 78704 and walk with them and their neighborhoods all had different flavors but the neighbors visit one another much like ours did.

In addition to South Austin, some other neighborhoods we have walked with our friends and enjoyed and found very friendly are Allandale, Hyde Park, and more recently some friend moved to the new Mueller Developments in East Austin and we have been enjoying visiting them and walking and visiting their neighbors.

We currently live in Westlake and it is far less neighborly than South Austin was. Everyone is kind as can be. People stop and talk for a bit, and always wave as you walk past or they drive by. It is just that people in my neighborhood in Westlake seem a lot busier and not as outgoing as Bouldin. In Bouldin we would take our glasses of wine and it would be refilled far to many times by the time found our way back home. lol. In Westlake that just doesn't happen.

On the renter thing.. I have found renters tend to be far more outgoing. So in neighborhoods with more renters just seem to be much friendlier areas. This is probably one of the reasons my neighborhood in Westlake is so much less friendly. Everyone owns their houses in Westlake.
I think I would get the cops called on me if I walked around with a glass of wine! but I had that before too and loved it. I'll have to look at allandale. Not sure what the borders are but from what I hear they have that community feel. We would've moved there but when we were looking I didn't see any rentals so we rented where we could later buy. We would like to stay central or north for our commutes.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:11 AM

3,032 posts, read 5,248,012 times
That's tough and I can sympathize. We currently rent a home in a nice neighborhood -- the first time we've EVER rented a house -- and, no matter how you present yourselves, I do believe that there is something to folks treating renters differently, especially if there have been a number of renters in the home prior to you and the neighbors have seen a lot of turnover over the years, so to speak.

That aside, I was curious, have you made friends through your son's school that also live in the neighborhood? That's the magic bullet, in my opinion. Or, do many of the kids (families) attend private school and go elsewhere so the sense of community isn't as strong?

Certainly there are empty nesters and seniors making up a decent percentage of your neighborhood as well, and that's perfectly fine, but if many of the young families (the remaining percentage) send their kids to various private schools, there's an even smaller chance for a sense of community because the majority aren't going to the same place, doing the same thing, not allowing for as much in common.

This is what Circle C has going for it -- people move there for the schools and the sense of community. If we worked south, we'd probably live there. Also, to a similar extent, RRISD/NW Austin has this going for it as well even though many of the homes and the neighborhoods are very similar to where you live in NW Hills (older homes) and it's s not a master planned community like Circle C. Families move to RRISD/NW Austin for the exemplary schools so nearly everyone living there is going to the SAME schools. The rest of the people living there are seniors who are now selling and a few empty nesters headed elsewhere... it seems to be converting to more families faster than where you currently are likely because of the schools being on par with Eanes.

I really think schools play a big part in sense of community in neighborhoods if you're a family, and especially if your children attend public schools. For those families who send their children to private schools, they are getting their sense of community through their school first as well. I know two families in your area with children attending St. Theresa's and they'd tell you this.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:17 AM

913 posts, read 789,350 times
I second the mention of Allandale. That was just about the most neighborly place we have ever lived - frequent outdoor potlucks in good weather, and many evenings or weekend afternoons just chatting (at length) on the sidewalk with neighbors when out walking dogs or doing yardwork, etc. And there is a very active listserv that keeps everyone up to date on various happenings.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:45 AM

2,627 posts, read 5,819,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by em2018 View Post
Maybe we've been spoiled. we had block captains (welcome committees) and parties at my old hood. People sat out in their front lawns and had a glass of wine or two while the kids played and people made an effort to get to know each other.

Anywhere like that in Austin porfavor? suggestions?
I think some of this can depend on the street or block that you're on in a neighborhood. You might go two streets over and see little block parties, but just not in your immediate area.

However, I know that a lot of people don't like HOA's, but HOA's often set aside money to fund holiday parties for the entire neighborhood. If you don't have an HOA then it's up to individuals to form party planning committees which is very time consuming and without any centralized fund, it's tough. Areas with lots of kids and more stay at home parents like the outlying suburbs have people with more time to focus on getting to know their neighbors because it greatly benefits their kids in making friends and knowing the neighbors is another layer of safety/security for the kids in the neighborhood.

Just curious, does your current neighborhood have an HOA that could fund something like a welcome committee? Did your old neighborhood have one or was it strictly a volunteer welcome committee?

Old 03-28-2012, 08:50 AM

7,234 posts, read 13,807,343 times
Did you go to the 4th of July parade? Lots of community feeling! But NW Austin tends to be a little less friendly than south austin for some reason. And "community feeling" can vary by block in any area -- north or south. There is never a guarantee. Doss seems to have a strong community feeling in general. But NW is slightly wealthier and has been forever (most of the original buyers in the 60s were doctors and lawyers) so there is a more distant feel. Ex. there is a list serve for the area but the messages are very infrequent and not the type of community building feel that you get on the Allandale list (as well as Crestview, Brentwood, South Austin, etc). No one seems to ask for contractor recommendations, lost dogs, or gardening tips via the NW list!

If you need to stay north for your commute, just cross MoPac to Allandale/Crestview/Brentwood! Very friendly! And Gullet is a great elementary school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or