Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 10:12 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMJ27 View Post
Property taxes in IL are very high too. My property tax rate in suburban Chicago was the same as it is in Travis County. However, Texas has no state income tax, so we feel like we are ahead compared to IL.

To the OP...what is you or your husband's job situation? We moved here from Chicago for employment reasons. We love Austin, but I wouldn't move here strictly to escape the "urban ness" of Chicago and to have a lower COL. There are a lot of places closer to home that would satisfy that need and you could probably get by cheaper too.

Agreed, Illinois is a pretty high tax state. Property tax rates are in the 4.6%-5% range on 1/3 of the market value of the house. So your actual rates are something like 1.5% - 1.6%.

Homestead exemption is only 4.5K, in texas it is 15K.

So on a 200K house in chicago you could pay as high as 3.25K where in texas you might pay as high as 5.5 (3%), but more typically more like 4.6K (2.5%)

Old 03-29-2012, 10:20 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
JayBrown80 - I think you overstate the impact of property taxes in Texas compared to other states. I also don't think property taxes per se are a major factor in lower home prices in Texas. The most basic answer is that the supply of homes is high, whether new or used. It's high because land is relatively plentiful and most parts of Texas are developer friendly. Most cities in Texas are not trying super hard to prevent people from living in suburbs.

Texas does have higher property tax rates than much of the country. But the only thing that really matters is how much you spend every year on property taxes. Rate times assessed value.

So that 2.5% rate against $225,000 = $5,625 per year. Is that high, kinda high, or really high compared to Chicago?

The Tax Foundation rates Illinois 10th highest nationally in per capita property taxes. They rate Texas 14th.

Although I don't think it should be a federal income tax deduction, property tax is deductible for most people. So the true cost of property tax may not be so high for many.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:21 AM

16 posts, read 36,004 times
Austin97- Thanks so much for such helpful insights! I really do appreciate it. Everyone is really giving me a little food for thought. I'm sure that the cost of living isn't hugely different, but doing some research on comparable consumer spending, Austin does seem a bit more reasonable than Chicago. Honestly though, it isn't mainly a money thing for us. I have talked with friends who have lived in Texas (Austin area and San Antonio) extensively and I just really like what I hear. Again, the only negative things are the distance from family and the heat. I guess it's something my husband and I always tossed around, and I've always said, "Oh no! I can't survive without my family!" But over the years, siblings and cousins have started to move on as well. Things are changing, as they should naturally. I've become more confident as a wife and mother. And I don't want to have regrets. I love that Austin keeps coming up as one of the top ten places to raise a family. And I begin to think, "Why not? We could do it! Let's strike out and try something totally adventurous and different!" Maybe it's silly, but I love country/western. I picture our kids running around a big, fenced in backyard, with two big goofy dogs, learning to ride horses, learning to appreciate the beautiful natural landscape, and the community feel of a small town. I think, even though it is a lot hotter, the year round temperatures would be healthier for my kids as it affords them way more out door opportunities.
(BTW- how's the allergies down there, specifically the mold count?)
We love U of T too.
We just want to try living a life where we depend on each other, and make our nuclear family the number one priority, instead of my whole extending family (with good but misguided intentions) sort of interfering a lot.
Again, there are a lot of reasons. Sorry for the rambling! English-major. Old habits die hard!

Old 03-29-2012, 10:34 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,571,990 times
Maybe you would be happier in Georgetown, Dripping Springs (if it fits your price range?), or maybe even one of the further out smaller towns. Just remember that if you want a small-town atmosphere and it sounds like you do, that your husband will probably have to commute about an hour each way to work and that all depends on where his job is.

I live in Round Rock and drive into downtown Austin everyday. I rarely see a cowboy hat. I see 100 exposed tattoos for every single cowboy hat that I see. It really sounds like you need to plan a weekend visit without the kids. Many of us in the Austin area are California transplants and we definitely didn't move into a "small-town country area in the South" when we moved to the Austin area. You're getting some extra questions from those of us that live here because perceptions of this area that are put out there by the media and the top-ten lists can be a bit mis-leading. The Austin area is definitely a great place to raise a family, but it might not be completely what you're expecting if you've never been here.

I'll let someone else answer about Austin area allergies because I don't want to sound too negative. I have no doubt that the Austin area could provide your large family a good home if you have all the facts.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:36 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,848,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
JayBrown80 - I think you overstate the impact of property taxes in Texas compared to other states. I also don't think property taxes per se are a major factor in lower home prices in Texas. The most basic answer is that the supply of homes is high, whether new or used. It's high because land is relatively plentiful and most parts of Texas are developer friendly. Most cities in Texas are not trying super hard to prevent people from living in suburbs.

Texas does have higher property tax rates than much of the country. But the only thing that really matters is how much you spend every year on property taxes. Rate times assessed value.

So that 2.5% rate against $225,000 = $5,625 per year. Is that high, kinda high, or really high compared to Chicago?

The Tax Foundation rates Illinois 10th highest nationally in per capita property taxes. They rate Texas 14th.

Although I don't think it should be a federal income tax deduction, property tax is deductible for most people. So the true cost of property tax may not be so high for many.
Ok. Which is why I told her to research property tax and actually factor in it's cost when she makes her decision. No judgement on her part, only trying to point out something she might not have though of, that causes a large shock to other people.

I mentioned the wide open spaces too.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:57 AM

16 posts, read 36,004 times
No judgment felt. You both have been so helpful and I really do appreciate it. It sounds retro, but my husband does most of the bills, so I really do need to educate myself better on concerns like property tax rates, etc. Again, thank you so much. Your advice is really appreciated.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:37 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
Generally, if you have mold allergies, you will be bothered all year round!

Old 03-29-2012, 11:53 AM

522 posts, read 657,462 times
While the public transportation is not good right now, there are ambitious plans to make a quantum leap forward in coverage and quality:

Project Connect

Old 03-29-2012, 11:54 AM

254 posts, read 280,971 times
The Tax Foundation lists the average property tax for Travis County to range from 1.79% to 1.87% for the years 2007-2009. I don't think this accurately reflects what the typical Austin area homeowner pays. I've lived outside the Austin City Limits for over 10 years and have never paid less than 2%.

I agree with JayBrown80 that one should compare what they are currently paying to what is typical for the neighborhood they are thinking about buying in.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:59 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Pollen allergies all year around, too, especially the dreaded "Cedar Fever" early in the year. There is something blooming here every month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin