Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 03:32 AM

6 posts, read 17,421 times

Advertisements

Hey south side chap. Do you know if there are any scooter clubs / ride outs in the Austin area?
Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I will stick to the car and just use the scooter at weekends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2007, 06:49 AM

101 posts, read 383,640 times
Hey Charlie

I've not investigated, but I'd be amazed if there is not a scooter club in Austin. You know how you can just tell looking at a bod on a scooter whether or not they are into them, as opposed to just using a scoot as transport. Well I've seen plenty of candidates that I've put down as being into them.

Really old bean, apart from I35 the traffic is not too bad! Feel free to get in touch if you need any practical advice on settling in.

Old 09-14-2007, 08:21 AM

2,722 posts, read 5,470,817 times
It's illegal in TX.
I would prefer to be able to do that and wear have to wear a helmet rather than not have to wear a helmet and not be able to scoot past traffic jams.

Old 09-14-2007, 09:50 AM

6 posts, read 17,421 times
Nice one.
Very excited about coming to live in Austin.
Seriously thinking of getting a Lambretta while Im out there. Definetley cheaper to buy Innocenti original 60s scoot in the US than in the UK!!

Old 09-14-2007, 09:59 AM

2,722 posts, read 5,470,817 times
reading my own post hurt my head. Sorry about that. Coffee then post.

Old 02-16-2008, 11:55 AM

27 posts, read 97,588 times
Hey charlie,
any update on scooter clubs in Austin? I have a genuine Buddy, modern and zippy but definitely not a sports bike. My boyfriend and I would definitely like to hang out with other scooterists when we get down to Austin.

Old 02-16-2008, 12:02 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,059,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie_g View Post
Hi everybody,
I am relocating from the UK to Austin in 3 weeks time and was thinking of getting a motorbike to commute to work on to try and shorten my commute time. I was interested in the SW Austin area but have been told the commute to work will be pretty hideous.

What is the stance on lane filtering on a bike through slow moving / stationery traffic in Austin?

Am I likely to get in trouble with the law or other irrate car drivers?
A friend of mine looked into this exact subject - and don't know where he found the info (some bikers' site probably) but he told me not only is moving between stationary vehicles illegal here, it also raises the hackles of the more redneck drivers enough for them to 'accidentally' open a door or shift a wheel into the path of the weaving biker. So, maybe not a good idea...

Shame tho. You can go helmet-less but no lane-splitting ????

Old 03-09-2008, 09:48 AM

17 posts, read 43,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
Shame tho. You can go helmet-less but no lane-splitting ????
It is a shame. Two-wheeled Texans are working politically to have filtering/splitting become legal in Texas, but it's a long, uphill battle.

Scooters are great for Austin as long as you stay off the big highways (I-35, 183, Mopac, etc.) Only something big like a Bergman that can comfortably maintain 70mph would be safe on those roads.

Of course ATGATT.

(All The Gear, All The Time)

Old 03-09-2008, 10:20 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
It raises my hackles, but not because I'm a "more redneck driver" - because I'm an old biker chick from decades ago (though the bikes were Triumphs, Nortons, Goldstars and Vincents, not Harleys, and the attitude and attire was somewhat different), and I HATE when someone does something dumb like that and gives motorcycles and their riders a bad name.

Old 03-09-2008, 12:19 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,550,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south side chap View Post
Having arrived from London some six weeks ago and also having been a Vespa & Lambretta owner in the UK (albeit a few years back), I've been considering buying a scooter here in Austin. I've seen a surprisingly large amount of vintage Vespas around, and at least two shops catering to their needs. Yet to see a Lambretta. .

Boy does that bring back memories of running a paper route on the back seat of my brother's Lambretta 125. This would have been mid-60s...Columbia,SC.
Scooter even had a built in fire extinguisher. Nothing under 500cc for me after that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: