Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 03:32 PM

979 posts, read 2,954,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindseyrepp143 View Post
Now that we own a home, I'm sort of....I don't know. Over it. It wasn't as big of a deal as I thought, and I thought I'd really be over the moon about it, but I'm not. I wonder about the environment out here in the suburbs for the kids, and wish they were getting exposed to different things. I know people really dig on the whole suburb living (REALLY don't want to start a suburb vs. city debate) - so I guess I will say that after living here in Steiner, I've come to miss living in a city and feel like we're much more city folk than suburb folk.
Well, it sounds like you've made your decision. Why not go for it?

One thing to note is that Redwood Shores is very suburby (not quite as suburby feeling as Steiner, but very suburby for the peninsula). If you move out there, why not move into San Francisco and do some city living while your kids are young?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 05:11 PM

32 posts, read 135,218 times
Well it's not just about me, heh I keep the families growth as a whole in mind.
Austin is great, don't get me wrong. Everyone is so friendly, we find people with similar values much more than in Seattle, people seem more relaxed and just have enjoyed exploring our new city.

I know nothing about the San Francisco area - I often wonder if the city is worth the cost, or is it just a place that's great to visit vs. live there full-time.

We want to do what's best - but it's hard to compare a city we just got to vs. a city we know nothing about yet.

Old 09-13-2007, 05:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,945 times
We've lived in the Bay Area for 10 years now and have lived in Austin for 5 years back in the late 80's early 90's. San Francisco is a fantastic, vibrant, cultured city and I enjoyed living there for 4 years. I now live in the Oakland Hills for better weather and affordability. Keep in mind a couple of things:
1) If you do not own anything with the high salary you will be offered you will be slammed with incredible State and Federal taxes.
2) The SF school system is very troubled with many inner city problems. You will most likely choose to put your children through private school (certainly for middle school and high school).
3) Although not rainy like Seattle, the coldest months of the year are the summer months due to the fog. We used our fireplace in SF more in July than any other time of year.
4) Even though you won't have a mortgage, the cost of living here is very high. We've done the research for ourselves and on average it is 20% higher here then Austin (not including housing). Don't forget that California has State Taxes.
5) I'm assuming your husband would commute to Redwood Shores from the City since you are wanting a more urban lifestyle. Keep in mind the Peninsula (what the locals call the area south of SF to San Jose) is very suburban as well - (strip malls, chain stores, tangle of highways).

In many ways we are considering the same things you are in reverse. I love the area but the costs are becoming overwhelming and I'm not thrilled with sending my kids to private school in part because it significantly adds to the cost factor. We've given ourselves a year to make a final decision.

Old 09-14-2007, 06:38 AM

39 posts, read 154,063 times
I'll have to qualify my opinion by stating up front that I am not a city person. I live outside of SF now and I don't understand why people say that SF beautiful. The restaurants and entertainment are wonderful but I would never want to live there. SF is dirty, crowded, the traffic is atrocious and although BART is a life saver the 'BART funk' gets into your clothes and you can't get that smell out no matter how many times you wash them. SF is a wonderful place to visit but we're moving just outside of Austin next week.

Old 09-14-2007, 08:27 AM

2,722 posts, read 5,469,243 times
I am a Frisco baby. I would pick SF in a second... if I didn't have a kid.

I don't think SF is a good place to raise a kid at all. It's a major reason I moved to Austin.
You don't mention kids, so I would assume you haven't got any.

Austin is cool and all but it gets rather boring and really redundant.
I never once got bored in SF.

Old 09-14-2007, 08:49 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,286,495 times
Is this question a joke? Have you been to SF? San Francisco is a beautiful, captivating city filled with character. The Big Sur Coast is one of the most awe-inspiring natural areas in the world. Austin is in TEXAS and is basically just flat, dry scrubland full of generic suburbia with a tiny kernal of "cool" in the middle of it. "Nature" is dried out, trash strewn streams and brown hills. MY GOD, GO TO SAN FRANCISCO IF YOU HAVE THE CHANCE!

Old 09-14-2007, 09:13 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,896,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
Is this question a joke? Have you been to SF? San Francisco is a beautiful, captivating city filled with character. The Big Sur Coast is one of the most awe-inspiring natural areas in the world. Austin is in TEXAS and is basically just flat, dry scrubland full of generic suburbia with a tiny kernal of "cool" in the middle of it. "Nature" is dried out, trash strewn streams and brown hills. MY GOD, GO TO SAN FRANCISCO IF YOU HAVE THE CHANCE!
Big Sur is 120 miles south of SF. I love SF as well and if given the chance, would choose it over Austin. But I don't know if I would characterize all of Texas as "flat, dry scrubland full of generic suburbia" I mean, there are some pretty cool areas in West Texas and the sky is very beautiful in these open areas. And there is plenty of generic suburbia in the Bay area. But SF is definitely more diverse in its "materials."

The great thing about SF though, is you have ocean, mountains and city all in one area. Not to mention all of the micro climates. If it's too dreary and foggy, just cross the Bay to Berkeley and it's 85 and sunny.

Old 09-14-2007, 09:34 AM

87 posts, read 383,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
I think someone needs to defend Austin, so I will. I think Austin is just a bit more than a kernal of "cool". There is something called the ACL festival this weekend which draws 60k a day and over 150 bands. Then there is SXSW festival which is also nationally known, plus many other "cool" events that go on through out the years.

Tell the people who live in west and southwest Austin that it's flat and dry scrubland. Go to Mt. Bonnel and tell me that's not awe-inspriring as well.
While San Francisco is a gorgeous place, I think Austin has a lot of qualties and scenery that attract people to central Texas and who would actually choose to live here over San Francisco.

Old 09-14-2007, 09:54 AM

90 posts, read 185,376 times
Actually since there are so many folks from CA moving to Austin already, I would have to say that SF is the greatest city on earth! You don't want to move to Texas..you want to stay in CA where everything is better...better...you're getting sleepy now...stay in CA!

Old 09-14-2007, 10:12 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,944,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogramjet View Post
I've lived in both places - currently in Austin. If you are a city person, and money and homeownership are not an issue - in my book, San Francisco wins hands down, no contest. I don't mean to rag on Austin, but it's not even remotely in the league of San Francisco, which is generally regarded as one of the most beautiful and interesting cities in the United States. Plus, your kids will be exposed to much greater cultural diversity there. And the weather is superb most of the year. Why aren't you packed yet...!
I agree! SF area is a great place to live.

BTW, I know a number of people that live in the Bay Area on less than 100K without a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin