Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 10:26 AM

16,787 posts, read 48,839,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
I don't disagree with the opinions above, but be aware that Texans have a disagreeable habit of parking on the sidewalks and blocking them for people who really need them. Even in residential neighborhoods, if a driveway already has cars in it, they will many times pull in behind and take up the sidewalk, rather than parking on the street. In the other states that I have lived in, I have not seen this as a common practice. I'm not saying that Austin is not accessible, just noting this one habit of Texans that you (and all of us) will have to deal with.
I just wanted to emphasize this, for the sake of educating people about it, because so many do not seem to understand that it is illegal to block the sidewalk with your car like this. No that sidewalk is not on your property, it is in the public right of way. People with disabilities and children walking and on bicycles need to be able to use it without being forced to walk out in the street or down the driveway ramp to get around your car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 03:47 AM

176 posts, read 355,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhutter33 View Post
All and any help would be very much appreciated. I am lookingtorelocate from Boston, MA which is extremely inaccessible. Is Austin more or less accessible than San Antonio?
San Antonio, Texas is more accessible. Sidewalks are being built left and right. In Austin we get these bold face lie on our electric bills stating "The City Is Complying with the Americans With Disabilities Act" CPS Energy doesn't lie to us like Austin Energy does, and according to Delores Gonzalez City Of Austin ADA coordinator, it is not illegal for Austin Energy to mislead the public with that information. Look up Delores Gonzalez Liar Liar Pants on Fire and the City of Austin is Not Complying with the Americans with Disabilities Act on YouTube, you will get the hint.

VIA has provided payphones at bus stops, Capital Metro has not. Via has lower fares for persons with Disabilities. $15 monthly vs. $32 monthly. 25 cent off peak fare (9AM to 3PM) and free on weekends for qualified medicare card holders and persons with disabilities. You are making a big mistake moving to Austin, where the Elitest get what they want. VIA has indoor waiting facilities with restrooms, Capital Metro does not. I am leaving Austin permanently in 2013! Sure SA is backwards, but they are beating Austin in the area of access. PS, I had to stand in the street of Braker Lane to catch the bus from the Shops At Arbor Walk, after getting harassed by Veolia bus driver on route 392, and calling Capital Metro recording them and posting it on YouTube, I finally got sidewalk installed at that bus stop. I shouldn't have had to do that!!!!

Being green is more important to Austin than catering to the needy. Austin's City Government has demonstrated that time and time again. You want a post office with a ditch and no sidewalk, look no further than Jollyville Station, where the nearest bus stop is over 1 mile away!!!

I miss San Antonio, Texas!!!! Nacodogches Rd and Loop 410 NOW THAT IS A SIDEWALK, I SOON TAKE SOME PICS NEXT TIME I GET DOWN THERE!!!

sorry to shout, I am just exited about COSA's improvements!!!

Oh, one more thing Great Hills Apartments on Morado Circle, no bus, and sidewalk not to ADA standards. Presented the case to Austin City Council last Thursday that brought tears to Council member Laura Morrison. I am still waiting for accessible service here in Austin, but if I hold my breath I will perish because I waited to long.

Apartments:
You have Bella Claire on Danbury and Nacodogches
Woodbury Square
Aquila Oaks on Nacodogches (if you are a non smoker, there model home smells like stale cigarettes I must warn you) I smoke, and I could smell the odor in it. That is unless they changed there model apartment since 2011.

North Star Mall and Transit Center, A++++ Sidewalk connectivity.

Old 08-05-2012, 04:04 AM

176 posts, read 355,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2NAC View Post
I agree with the others. As a former transportation engineer, I have personally inspected many pedestrian elements on our roads, mostly in north Austin. The intersections with pedestrian elements do an excellent job of meeting ADA standards. I also see the city bus system picking up individuals in wheelchairs all the time as well. They have a special contraption for lifting the chair. Although maybe you have a specially made vehicle that you can drive around town as well? Either way, Austin is a very outdoorsy city with a lot of sidewalks & ramps, even in the more suburban areas of Austin. You will do great here!
Have you inspected Braker and Mopac? Why does the sidewalk abruptly dead end at the rail road track bridge?

Ever walked to the McNeil and 183 Academy? Where the side walk dead ends at a tree? Guaranteed to give a blind man a concussion.

How about 183 and Braker to Great Hills Trail? Guess what they lack? Sidewalk, just a short strip of sidewalk from the 24 Hour Fitness sign, and ends at the property line of Saltgrass steakhouse.

Ms. Inspector, I am awaiting your answer. Google 10300 Morado Circle and Morado Cove, you will see the At&T telephone box in the middle of what should be a completed sidewalk. While I am struggling to catch a bus that won't stop, I await your answer to this.

Last edited by LongLiveCassettes; 08-05-2012 at 04:08 AM.. Reason: type mr. instead of ms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin