Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 03:06 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,839,394 times

Advertisements

The recession badly hurt the new housing construction industry, so few new houses are being built. Meanwhile thousands of people continue to move to Austin every year, so apartment occupancies are at an all time high and will probably stay that way for a good while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 07:15 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,274,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
Rental supply is extremely tight right now, and that's driving up prices. The tight supply is due to several factors: lack of apartment construction over the last 5 years due to the recession, high numbers of transplants moving to Austin, and the wildfires of last year which destroyed a large amount of housing stock in the Austin metro area.
And you can add, a large number of people being forced into the rental market due to foreclosure and eviction from their homes.

The latest figures show Austin's rental occupancy rate at 96% right now, so all the rents are high. Even studio apartments are running $100/mo higher than they did last year.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:32 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,378,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
And you can add, a large number of people being forced into the rental market due to foreclosure and eviction from their homes.

The latest figures show Austin's rental occupancy rate at 96% right now, so all the rents are high. Even studio apartments are running $100/mo higher than they did last year.
Eh, I wouldn't be so quick to jump on the foreclosure piece as a contributing factor - only 1 in 3100ish homes is in foreclosure in Travis county, about 20% of the national average of 1 in 600.

But rents are way higher. 5 years ago, I was renting a place off 620 for $700/mo that they're getting $1150/mo for now.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:52 PM

648 posts, read 1,957,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
The cheapness of Austin, and the popular/desireable cities [areas] in Texas for that matter as you've discovered, is exaggerated.
Agree 100% with bracketed edits.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:55 PM

773 posts, read 1,254,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticalDream View Post
What, I would like to know is if there is something I am missing? Where and what is the cheap housing in Austin I keep hearing about? I've looked at other supposedly cheap Texas cities, and I have noticed the prices are not all that low either, but lower than Austin.
Keep driving north/south/east/west away from Austin, and you'll find what you're looking for. Generally speaking, the further away from Austin proper you are, the cheaper the rent.

I grew up in a smallish town that many people now refer to as part of "North Austin." It really isn't, but if it makes people happy to think they're living "in Austin," then whatever. There are a lot of nice, spacious homes for $900 or less. Caveat: It's an hour-and-a-half drive from Austin on most days of the week.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:09 PM

13,437 posts, read 15,347,491 times
There are no "large houses" in the suburbs that are $900 / mo. I live in northern Pflugerville, and generally everything is $1100+ (for the smallest homes in the neighborhood).

Old 04-11-2012, 03:17 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,547,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
There are no "large houses" in the suburbs that are $900 / mo. I live in northern Pflugerville, and generally everything is $1100+ (for the smallest homes in the neighborhood).
Agreed. The rental occupancy rate theory is interesting, but it just doesn't make sense for single-family homes to rent at that $900 price point because the landlord couldn't even break even on the mortgage payment/property tax/homeowner's insurance/maintenance costs. You're just not going to find homes worth under $130K and the Austin suburbs are too new to have a lot of people with rental homes that are already completely paid off with no mortgages.

If the rental occupancy rate drops down to 75% for some reason, will all the landlords be fine with losing $400 per month to keep a rental property or will they just sell it at that point? Not being able to rent a large home for $900 per month is due to value of the homes and not the occupancy rates.

It sounds like EZPeterson was getting an incredible deal on a single-family home for $700/mo off 620. The landlord was probably losing money on that deal.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:34 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,274,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
The rental occupancy rate theory is interesting, but it just doesn't make sense for single-family homes to rent at that $900 price point because the landlord couldn't even break even on the mortgage payment/property tax/homeowner's insurance/maintenance costs.
Although that's logical, in real life it is not always the case. I know several people who are taking a monthly loss on properties they own, due to some circumstance or another, like renting it now because they can't get the sale price they want at the moment, or because they're holding it as a long-term investment, or even holding it for a child to live in later.*

Rental rates are subject to market pressures and market swings. Landlords wind up responding to those swings even if occasionally prices are too low to break even.

*Edit: Just remembered another... friend bought a house to retire to some day, currently lives elsewhere, rents the house out in the meantime, prices it per the market, not always above break-even. But he's building equity long-term.

Last edited by OpenD; 04-11-2012 at 03:45 PM..

Old 04-11-2012, 03:38 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,839,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
When I first put our 1300 SF house into the rental market in 2003 we surveyed the market prices in the SW part of town and set the rent at $1050/month which includes yard maintenance services. This year we raised it to $1300.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:03 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,547,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I know several people who are taking a monthly loss on properties they own, due to some circumstance or another, like renting it now because they can't get the sale price they want at the moment, or because they're holding it as a long-term investment, or even holding it for a child to live in later.*
Good points. I do think that these reasons would be considered exceptions and not the standard. I personally don't know how people can handle having a negative cash flow on a rental property unless it's in an area with a lot of future promise (rapid gentrification for example), but I know that people do it. I certainly wouldn't be lining up for that type of deal in a far out suburb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin