Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 12:40 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,773,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Off topic, sort of, but why do people keep comparing kids and dogs? Human children are not the same as companion animals. And I have/had (in the case of a dog) both.
Because in the context of this conversation, both dogs and kids have the potential to be an annoyance at restaurants, so it's a perfectly valid comparison when figuring out what restaurant might suit someone's wants/needs. No one is saying that they are "the same".

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay39 View Post
So I have to wonder....why would people who don't like dogs (or don't like them on restaurant patios) feel the need to jump in to a thread on a conversation asking only which restaurants are dog friendly?
It's a virtual inevitability for a thread topic like this. In fact, I'm pretty sure I read this exact thread several months ago- it tends to perpetuate itself and is one of those topics where everyone likes to share their [strong] opinion, and it's pretty much the same people who feel compelled to jump in each time this topic comes up.

To answer your original question, I'd recommend Red's Porch, on South Lamar, as a great restaurant with a nice dog-friendly patio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 01:11 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
All I asked was where the dog-friendly restaurants were in Austin.
Yeah, but public forums are like a box of chocolates... you never know what you're going to get.

Quote:
My dog does NOT beg at the table, jump, slobber.
Maybe not, but your dog does pose a known health hazard to other diners, which is why dogs are prohibited by law inside restaurants. Sorry, most dog owners I know are in deep denial about this, but unfortunately it is true.

Here's a little light reading on some of the zoonotic disease risks involving dogs
Human Health Risks Related to Dogs’ Social Lives – Preventing Zoonotic Disease Transmission (http://www.avma.org/animal_health/disease_risks_dogs/people_risks.asp - broken link)

Quote:
Too bad some people have to an innocent question as an excuse to bash dogs and dog lovers.
I think there were legitimate issues raised. Supernaut112, for instance, has an allergy to dogs, as do I. Others have various aversions for other reasons. Not all dog owners are considerate, nor are all dogs are well behaved. And perhaps some eyes were opened from this discussion about the fact that although a restaurant may allow your dog, that doesn't mean that everyone else will be happy about it, any more than you are happy about people smoking out there.

For myself I'm left puzzled, because I've read the Texas health code now, and it forbids any live animals (except service animals)(oh, and fish in a tank) on a restaurant's premises, and it states elsewhere that outdoor dining areas are considered part of the premises, so I'm unclear where the exception to allow dogs "on the patio" comes from. Perhaps it is not legal after all.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:18 PM

3,075 posts, read 3,262,375 times
The California Pizza Kitchen at the Domain allows dogs on their patio (though I've only seen rather small dogs, don't know if this is a rule or just a coincidence). The Steeping Room in the Domain also allows dogs in their outdoor area. Some of the other Domain restaurants _may_ also allow dogs since the Domain in general is a relatively dog friendly place (makes sense because of all the apts).

Old 04-13-2012, 01:19 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,771,123 times
Quote:
Then lets be fair. I will keep my dog off the patio when all of you smokers stay out of restaurants! Or at least you bathe, wash your hair and wear un-smoke-stinky clothes before heading out into public. Because the stink DOES affect my dinner, shopping, enjoying an evening at the theatre, etc. Deal?

All I asked was where the dog-friendly restaurants were in Austin. My dog does NOT beg at the table, jump, slobber. But I know many people who do belch, pass gas, blow their nose at the table, swear, smell, etc. Now if only we could ban THEM, dining would be better for me and my dog!

Too bad some people have to an innocent question as an excuse to bash dogs and dog lovers.
Great: Let's fight intolerance with intolerance!

Old 04-13-2012, 03:48 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,100,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Off topic, sort of, but why do people keep comparing kids and dogs? Human children are not the same as companion animals. And I have/had (in the case of a dog) both.
I think that they are compared in this thread only in that both can disturb one's meal. I would not read a real value judgement into that. There are lots of things that can disturb a meal - all the smells and events listed, plus construction noise, bad weather, etc. I am not a dog owner, but I do not mind at all having a well behaved dog at the next table. I consider that to be part of eating on the patio. Similarly, I do not mind having well behaved children at the next table. The problems happen when either is disruptive. Although I like to have a nice, quiet meal, however, I know that the world does not revolve around my needs, so I try to make allowances when I know people are trying to be considerate.

Old 04-13-2012, 03:55 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,773,571 times
I find it amusing that there is so much dog-germ paranoia (despite the fact that the animals never get near where the food is prepared) but there seems to be utter naivete regarding the myriad of other ways your food is probably compromised at restaurants (dropping food on floor, improper preparation, unclean kitchen/utensils, bad hygiene of cooks/servers, etc etc...just use your imagination). Unreal.

Old 04-13-2012, 05:08 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnLion512 View Post
I find it amusing that there is so much dog-germ paranoia (despite the fact that the animals never get near where the food is prepared)
To paraphrase the old joke, it's not paranoia if they really can make you sick...

Old 04-13-2012, 05:09 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,879,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernaut112 View Post
Actually, this thread is very helpful, because I've learned which restaurants I might want to avoid in the future.
Agreed. I'm desperately allergic to both cats and dogs - and one time I accidentally walked into a business where the owner kept her cat inside during business hours - and I started sneezing even before I knew the cat was there. It's good to know which businesses cater to animals, so I can avoid them - so thanks for this thread.

Old 04-13-2012, 05:29 PM

100 posts, read 258,393 times
It's unfortunate that you are allergic to dogs. I do feel your pain. I have other allergies that sometimes prevent me from doing everything I want to do.

Personally, I like the fact that I can bring my dog out to a nice patio where she can enjoy being outside. She's well behaved, doesn't beg for food, and will only beg for a belly rub if you come up to her with a smile. Mostly will just sleep there. Will never bark, even at other dogs.

I'm against people bringing their rowdy, poorly trained dogs out in public (whether it's a patio, dog park or somewhere else), because they're a danger to other dogs and to people, in addition to being really annoying.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:05 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,100,141 times
Was just in Italy! Exceptionally well-behaved dogs everywhere! Including restaurant patios. Must have seen at least 150 dogs during the time I was there and I saw exactly ONE poop pile, amazing (and I was looking). I also heard two dogs bark at each other, and one snarl at another, that was it! Most amazing dogs. People seem to just take them everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin