Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 11:24 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,896,347 times

Advertisements

Save downtown Austin's surface parking lots!

Old 02-25-2013, 12:01 AM

181 posts, read 305,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredding_Gnar78 View Post
my neighbor said his realtor got stats reflecting 165+ a day moving here. they'll all want jobs, housing, recreational needs, etc. trying to drive and park anywhere downtown on the weekend is like swimming in molasses

we live off parmer and mcneil, and from what I hear, the Apple building is going to bring in around 4000 new jobs. Well that is for sure going to make the rents and property values go up, as well as the morning Traffic on Parmer, which is pretty much like a highway with traffic lights. That left turn onto Riata gets backed up for days!

I've said it before.... its time to think about leaving. I stated this thread about two years ago:
//www.city-data.com/forum/austi...ve-if-you.html

We got lucky finding our apartment, but there are rumors that the rent is going to go up 10% when our lease is up. Before we moved up here, we lived right near NorthCross mall. Our rent went up 37% in 2 years.

Of course the irony is that my gf and I are both transplants, LOL. If I was an Austin native, I'd just smile and not worry about anything, because they seem to be the most chill, positive and friendly people on planet earth.

I just can't figure out where to go next. We love it here and Austin has been so good to us. But it just seems like there is NO sustainable growth strategy. Build, advertise, sell. Build more!
I absolutely agree. Several of my neighbors are sad that their city is becoming something different than what they known it to be. They want to leave as well but they don't know where to go. No other city is quite like Austin (Portland OR may come somewhat close...).

Being that, I can appreciate different things about a city and still fall in love with it. I'm looking forward to the move this summer.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:32 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
We thought we were helping out the congestion problem by moving to Brushy Creek west of Round Rock in 1995 after living in Austin since 1959.

Oh well.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:55 AM

912 posts, read 1,285,136 times
Quote:
lol.
we live off parmer and mcneil, and from what I hear, the Apple building is going to bring in around 4000 new jobs. Well that is for sure going to make the rents and property values go up, as well as the morning Traffic on Parmer, which is pretty much like a highway with traffic lights. That left turn onto Riata gets backed up for days!
From my understanding of the Apple jobs, they're similar to the types of jobs they already have now, which is to say that the shifts are not 8-5 type shifts. Some people start at 8, some people start at 6, some people start at 10. So traffic may not get as terrible as you think.

I trimmed the rest of your message, but my experience is this: I moved here, practically by accident, at a time when I was young, fun and flirting with hipsterism. At this point, I've lived here most of my adult life and it's home. Maybe it's different for me because I didn't move here just based on the vibe - it was chance and happenstance and eventually life catches up to you and you find you've settled down and into a place. I had always intended to move back to where my family lives after a time - Now they don't live there either. I have no interest in leaving the Austin area, and although I don't particularly like the ostrich strategy employed when it comes to growth, we will deal with it. I have a hard time imagining living elsewhere.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:01 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,979,118 times
Quote:
But it just seems like there is NO sustainable growth strategy. Build, advertise, sell. Build more!
http://www.austintexas.gov/imagineaustin

Old 02-25-2013, 05:37 PM

85 posts, read 129,243 times
Quote:
and now there's a GIANT hole in the ground on Congress, right around 3rd or so. I think its where a roppolo's was, but i can't remember. maybe food trailers?. Looks like another skyscaper. i mean this thing is freaking gnarly
It was a parking lot. Nothing sacred.

Quote:
I just can't figure out where to go next. We love it here and Austin has been so good to us. But it just seems like there is NO sustainable growth strategy. Build, advertise, sell. Build more!
Sustainable based on what? It looks to me like it's sustaining quite reliably. So reliably that people keep wanting to get here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Land-use planning is exactly what gives you overpriced elitist enclaves like San Francisco. That entire document reeks of unicorn farts, lucky charms, and wishful thinking by people with total economic ignorance and a love of power.

Last edited by electricninja; 02-25-2013 at 05:46 PM..

Old 02-25-2013, 11:02 PM

404 posts, read 712,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricninja View Post
It was a parking lot. Nothing sacred.

Sustainable based on what? It looks to me like it's sustaining quite reliably. So reliably that people keep wanting to get here!

WAS a parking lot

after all, who needs a place to park? only everybody in a car downtown.

sustainable based on..oh i don't know, maybe a functional way to commute? or do you enjoy sustaining an existence in gridlocked traffic and 1hr waiting times for breakfast.

well hey - if you're content being inundated with the 160+ new faces moving here each day, i'm sure you'll have a blast at the Austin 2024 Olympics!

Austin's elite ponder an Olympics bid
http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/bl...mpics-bid.html

Old 02-26-2013, 08:21 PM

404 posts, read 712,000 times
Closing time for the South Congress food trailers | The Daily Texan

Closing time for the South Congress food trailers

"Despite the technically temporary nature of the food trailers that reside on the lot between Milton and Monroe Streets on South Congress Avenue, the mobile eateries have become somewhat of an Austin landmark. Visiting tourists from across the country come to sample the smorgasbord of multi-cultural selections the trailers have to offer. Locals peruse the scattered selection to search for something new or to satisfy a cupcake craving. But the iconic lot’s days are numbered.

Shortly after South by Southwest is over, the trailers will be forced to vacate the premises to make way for yet another hotel. "

Old 02-26-2013, 09:03 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,769,834 times
Not nearly enough people in my book. In 2001, when I moved here, restaurants ran the gamut from mediocre to atrocious, with a very few exceptions. There were very few food trucks, and people could quite rightly complain that Austin was a culinary wasteland. No longer. In many ways Austin is now one of the most exciting food cities in the country. Coffee was dodgy at best. There were no wine bars worthy of the name. For great BBQ you had to drive to Lockhart or Luling. No longer. Downtown was an office park by day and an entertainment district by night. Almost no-one actually lived there. Also no longer the case. The Blanton had not yet been built. Austin sorely lacked a world class art museum. No longer. While traffic has undoubtedly gotten worse, by almost every other measure that matters to me, Austin is a whole lot better than it was 12 years ago. Pack 'em in; build a more discerning consumer base; the nebulous spirt of the place still lives - it just keeps moving around. Grow or die: just ask Detroit. If you could fit another 500K or so people between Mopac and Airport, 2222 and William Cannon, Austin would be a truly astounding city!

Old 02-26-2013, 09:50 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,735,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
Not nearly enough people in my book. In 2001, when I moved here, restaurants ran the gamut from mediocre to atrocious, with a very few exceptions. There were very few food trucks, and people could quite rightly complain that Austin was a culinary wasteland. No longer. In many ways Austin is now one of the most exciting food cities in the country. Coffee was dodgy at best. There were no wine bars worthy of the name. For great BBQ you had to drive to Lockhart or Luling. No longer. Downtown was an office park by day and an entertainment district by night. Almost no-one actually lived there. Also no longer the case. The Blanton had not yet been built. Austin sorely lacked a world class art museum. No longer. While traffic has undoubtedly gotten worse, by almost every other measure that matters to me, Austin is a whole lot better than it was 12 years ago. Pack 'em in; build a more discerning consumer base; the nebulous spirt of the place still lives - it just keeps moving around. Grow or die: just ask Detroit. If you could fit another 500K or so people between Mopac and Airport, 2222 and William Cannon, Austin would be a truly astounding city!
I love making up my own history, don't you? It's so much fun! Please..no one has ever called Austin "a culinary wasteland"..I guess that's why you had to stay, you were on a diet!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin