Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 12:02 PM

6 posts, read 43,850 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Austin this summer and would like to build a house. Any recommendations for great builders in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 01:21 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,777,355 times
how much money u got?...

Old 04-17-2012, 04:49 PM

6 posts, read 43,850 times
Looking to spend less than250000.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:58 PM

97 posts, read 417,784 times
This all depends on what you want to do. I don't know alot of the custom builders. To me custom means you can change anything on the floor plan, and they don't build more than 20 homes per year. As far as the production builders go. They are all about the same, they all have a super and a designer that works with you. Some let you change the floor plan a bit or alllmost not at all. And they all build "in my option" a run of the mill not so great home. For instance what is the difference between a 200k production home and a 400k production home? The 400k home has twice as many out of square corners in it.

Do you want a home already built? Do you want to find some land and build on it? Do you want to buy an old home demo it and build a new home in the inner city? All very important questions.

If you want to find some land and build a new home. I would find a cost + 20 builder that builds somewhere in the area of 5-10 homes per year.

If you are wanting a green home. And I don't mean some rip off green washed home that costs 300% more than a normal home. Sadly you have to watch this area of the market. IMO there is nothing better than a green home. They are more healthy, they stay more clean, they have more of a homey feel to them, they cost much less to cool, and they will last much longer than a regular stick home. But if you can't devote the time to make sure your not getting totally ripped off I wouldn't do it. To give you an idea. It's more about the envelop than it is about sticking 60k worth of solar panels on the roof. In most of my experience you can build a real green home for about the some cost as a normal home or 15% more. Here are 3 areas you can take a look at. Search Passive Homes, Built Green Custom Homes here in Austin, and rockyhollowhome.blogsppot.com

If you want a regular production home in this area I would look at Grand Haven Homes or Wilshire Homes. I have worked with and around production builders for the last 13 years and those are the 2 that I would go see. If someone held a gun to my head and told me I had to buy a production home or die.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:39 AM

45 posts, read 143,787 times
I am thinking about moving to Austin in about a year (next August). I am doing research about the area. I haven't made the ultimate decision whether to build or to buy a pre existing home yet. This will be our first house so we don't have tons of money to spend. I was looking at production homes around the Round Rock/Pflugerville area for around 180-200k. I understand the overall quality won't be as nice as a custom built home but you have to start somewhere. Areas just to the east and northeast of Pflugerville seem to be growing rapidly. Does anyone have any advice for builders? I looked at JD powers ratings for 2010 in austin. Standard Pacific and David weekly get the best scores. Those homes might be slightly out of my price range. KB and centex were the next best two (above average). Anyone have any thoughts about them? I've heard worse things about KB than Centex but they were ranked better. Although I know that JD only does buyer surveys right after the sale and no follow up. Are there any other builder rankings out there besides JD? Some website out there have just negative problems and reviews of builders but I would like to see the good vs the bad. Not very many people make posts about a house that was great vs someone who got screwed over. Also, any idea about property tax out in the direction? Thanks

Old 06-24-2012, 11:15 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Tilson is a Texas builder. They have plans but you can customize them.
Had a Tilson home built in 1999 and lived there for 10+years. Had no problems.
They have a website and model home parks.

I chose a Texas builder because of our clay and what it can do with foundations.
They did a soil test and then came back with recommendations regarding my foundation which I took.
A good foundation is imperative if you are building in clay.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:32 AM

45 posts, read 143,787 times
What price range are Tilson Homes?

Old 06-24-2012, 12:45 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,124,507 times
I'd add Drees to the good list.

Old 06-24-2012, 01:14 PM

182 posts, read 694,220 times
Building our new home with Mercedes Premiere Homes. Superior quality.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:30 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodinvilleguy View Post
I'd add Drees to the good list.
I was going to mention Drees until I saw the price range desired.

It will be interesting to observe the quality of the homes in the new Pearson Place(since I live 'across the street'). Grand Haven, Streetman, Pulte, I believe. I sure wish/hope the new homes were/are being designed and built with energy efficiency as a top concern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin