Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2012, 03:58 PM

40 posts, read 72,778 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Prior to moving to Austin, I've always been with Farmers for home and auto insurance because of its competitive rate and the super friendly, you can call her 8pm to discuss, type of local agent. Wish I could continue the coverage from her but can't due to her lack of Texas license.

Since moving to Austin, I've been with Amica because of its super low rate on auto (same coverage as with Farmer). Its lack of local office hasn't bothered me until I recently purchased a house here. I want a local agent who I can talk to in person, to discuss the coverage and such. At the same time, they must offer a competitive rate and friendly local services. My record is clean without any claim or traffic ticket. Can anyone make a suggestion based on your experience? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 07:12 PM

1,825 posts, read 2,823,255 times
We used Kathy Elders with MetLife and (Kelders@metlife.com) and had a pretty good experience. She did auto, home, valuable property, and life.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:49 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,334,583 times
We use Germania for home, farm, and auto. Our agent is Gene Buchhorn; he's out of the Walburg office, but handles our Austin property, as well.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:31 PM

37 posts, read 87,776 times
No, do not go with MetLife! They treated people like dirt, putting your policy to a cycle that you need to write up your auto mileages every 6 months for only $50 discount vs. other insurances will just quote you a lower rate. Shop around...Liberty Mutual....there are many good companies would love to have you.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:37 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,519,865 times
We are perhaps 'once removed' from a one-on-one client/agent relationship; but are very happy with the service from Watkins Insurance...an independent agency. They were very helpful with our aunt's home and auto coverage(saving over $400 in one phone call) and we had no problems with our roof claim that was in excess of $20K. The Watkins folks will shop for the best coverage and prices but aren't directly 'connected' to the providers like a 'house' agent would be. I don't have any second thoughts about working with them.

It does seem that having the ability to 'shop' rates and coverages works in their interest and allows them to put together a package that fits the needs of the client(rather than being 'stuck' with the packages of only one insurer). It's not an old-fashioned, have lunch with your agent-type of relationship; but, it has worked for us. Just my .02

Old 04-18-2012, 12:44 AM

37 posts, read 87,776 times
May be or may be not, all agents now are focusing on the initial bonus (new customers) which is sad. But a good company will make it up to you with good policies.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:04 AM

1,825 posts, read 2,823,255 times
I don't have any particular loyalty to MetLife but the rates we got for both home and auto were better even than what we had in the Northeast through USAA, and USAA has always beat everybody I've tried in auto insurance. Dunno why it's not the case in Texas, but Austin insurance for a car + motorcycle (comprehensive on both) is less than what it cost near Allentown, Pennsylvania. Doesn't make sense to me but that's how it turned out.

I don't see anything about verifying mileages every 6 months but that could get tedious. I don't blame them for asking, though, since most people report that they drive 10k miles a year when they drive far more than that!

Old 04-18-2012, 07:09 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,334,583 times
We had an agent who got us the best possible deal, we thought, for years. Then we looked into Germania (because at the time they were one of the few who would provide farm coverage and we were buying a farm), and our auto rates dropped by two-thirds. (This with a teenaged male driver, at that.) They're responsive when we have a claim (which has been very seldom, granted), and come out every five years to make sure we haven't missed making a change that's to our advantage. (And have caught something at least once.)

The difference may be that Germania is a member organization (we even have an account with their credit union), or, as an insurance agent who called us trying to get us to switch said when we said we were with Germania, "They're a different breed of cat." (When we bought the place, we of course got numerous calls from agents telling us they could beat our rates; every time I said we were with Germania, they said, "Oh. Never mind," and went away.)

If only they offered health insurance, we'd be set for life!

Old 04-18-2012, 07:45 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,393,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodforlife View Post
May be or may be not, all agents now are focusing on the initial bonus (new customers) which is sad. But a good company will make it up to you with good policies.
You're wrong. Sounds like you have had one bad experience and painted everyone with the same brush. In fact, agent compensation is very similar for both new and renewal business, so I have no idea what "initial bonus" you're referring to.

In fact, the exact opposite is true. With how competitive the market is right now, the focus is on retention over new business. Every conference, trade show, new discount, etc. is all geared around ways to retain customers longer.

To the OP, there have been a number of good recommendations so far, I'd have to echo the earlier sentiment that an Independent Agent would be the way to go. A good IA will have access to multiple carriers and products that will fit your needs.

What part of town are you in? I can PM you a list of agents to choose from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: