Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2012, 07:13 PM

25 posts, read 41,655 times

Advertisements

I have been looking through old threads only to find many rental suggestions being listed are for apartments and condos. I am looking fr a site that list home rentals. The only one I have found thus far is Rentals.com, and there were very few listed. Are there just not many homes out there to rent or am I looking in the wrong spots?

Ideally this rental home would allow a dog and be somewhere outside of the city, with a tad bit of land. Icing on the cake would be to have well water, but since this is only temporary housing its not necessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 07:55 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,215,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubredvelvet View Post
I have been looking through old threads only to find many rental suggestions being listed are for apartments and condos. I am looking fr a site that list home rentals. The only one I have found thus far is Rentals.com, and there were very few listed. Are there just not many homes out there to rent or am I looking in the wrong spots?

Ideally this rental home would allow a dog and be somewhere outside of the city, with a tad bit of land. Icing on the cake would be to have well water, but since this is only temporary housing its not necessary.
For houses:
Austin real estate search (http://www.austinhomesearch.com/Static/homeset.aspx - broken link)

Old 04-21-2012, 03:51 PM

30 posts, read 93,267 times
Found our newest place by driving through the neighborhood. Lots of places with rental signs that weren't listed anywhere.

We also came close to getting a house that we found on hotpads.com. It was a fairly helpful website.

Lastly, we used Austin Real Estate | AustinHomeSearch | Austin Realtors | Austin TX Real Estate. Do a search for leases. Lots of houses there.

Old 04-21-2012, 05:32 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
Are there just not many homes out there to rent or am I looking in the wrong spots?
You're putting too much faith in online resources. Much of it simply never hits the web.

Old 04-21-2012, 06:25 PM

597 posts, read 1,317,062 times
Go to Pflugerville drive around and right down the numbers in front of the yards, tons of rentals.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:29 PM

25 posts, read 41,655 times
I will definitely check out the two websites and will just continue to drive around. Part of the problem with that though is we don't know where to drive to since we are trying to find houses not in neighborhoods and more off the beaten path. Will definitely try that though as I feel it probably is the best way to find stuff!

Old 02-17-2015, 02:12 PM

1 posts, read 808 times
Quote:
I will definitely check out the two websites and will just continue to drive around. Part of the problem with that though is we don't know where to drive to since we are trying to find houses not in neighborhoods and more off the beaten path. Will definitely try that though as I feel it probably is the best way to find stuff!
Hello Rubredvelvet,

I'm in the same boat you were just a few years ago, looking for a more semi-permanent solution...i work from home with my own business & he works @ a hospital mid-west Austin...We'd prefer to move into a house/cottage/cabin, off-the beaten path, couple of bedrooms to start a family, i dont want to live in the suburbs and apartment life is no longer suiting our needs...would rather pay for more space including outdoor area for dogs than a fancy pool, other amenities we dont often use, etc....i just wanna know how well your final search went and where you ended up finding your humble abode...any advice to a young couple getting started with building a life together? (kind of, we've been together 9 yrs, in April i'll be turning 27 & he'll be turning 30)

feel free to email me if you have any helpful ideas, would be greatly appreciated because searching online for us is running into dead-ends as well... [email]akyrasroses@gmail.com[/email]

Old 02-17-2015, 03:33 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,736,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleidaskape View Post
Hello Rubredvelvet,

I'm in the same boat you were just a few years ago, looking for a more semi-permanent solution...i work from home with my own business & he works @ a hospital mid-west Austin...We'd prefer to move into a house/cottage/cabin, off-the beaten path, couple of bedrooms to start a family, i dont want to live in the suburbs and apartment life is no longer suiting our needs...would rather pay for more space including outdoor area for dogs than a fancy pool, other amenities we dont often use, etc....i just wanna know how well your final search went and where you ended up finding your humble abode...any advice to a young couple getting started with building a life together? (kind of, we've been together 9 yrs, in April i'll be turning 27 & he'll be turning 30)

feel free to email me if you have any helpful ideas, would be greatly appreciated because searching online for us is running into dead-ends as well... akyrasroses@gmail.com
Rubredvelvet, kaleidaskape,

Best way to find home listings would be a drive around North and East Austin areas. Many landlords in these areas are not online and simply have the FOR RENT sign in the front yard. I have found rents to be sometimes substantially lower than average because they are not in the hot, trendy areas and the landlords are often elderly or live out of town and are not aware of the escalating average prices.

Old 02-17-2015, 04:23 PM

416 posts, read 588,271 times
We contacted a realtor because we were from out of state and didn't know the good from the bad areas. It worked for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin