Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 10:12 PM

7 posts, read 10,201 times

Advertisements

Hello All! Although I've read through some of the postings, this is my first time writing one, so please bear with me. My wife and I (Both in our 30's, no kids, dont want them, financially secure, both college degree's and 7+ years of experience in our respective employment fields) are moving to Austin in June/July timeframe from AZ. We have done a good deal of research on Austin (housing costs, unemployment ect) however due to the distance from Austin, we both have been turned down for jobs because we don't live in Austin currently. As such we are going to have to move without having jobs. We've been saving and will be moving with around 25K, so we will have a little cushion once we get there(it sounds like it should be enough, thoughts?). To the point, although its one thing to read and visit a city, it is a whole other experience to live there, with that being said, what is the employment/unemployment really like there?! I work in Human Resources and she's in Accounting....anywho, any and all constructive feedback is welcome! Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 10:35 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,736,986 times
You're not going to get a good job lead until you get an Austin address. The market here is saturated with applicants applying to general or entry-level positions. You will have much better luck to specialized IT and accounting positions. From my experience, you have to be very persistent. Assertive, but not aggressive. Do your due diligence on every application, even if you feel you are marginally qualified. You never know who might hold on to your resume or refer your name to a potential employer. Best of luck to you both!

Old 04-19-2012, 10:35 PM

293 posts, read 730,459 times
I love Austin but I wouldn't ever give up two jobs just to move here.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:10 AM

7 posts, read 10,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spelrod View Post
I love Austin but I wouldn't ever give up two jobs just to move here.

We live in an area that has an unemployment rate of 26.4%;and they are continueing to lay off city wide more and more....

Old 04-20-2012, 06:06 AM
cm4

94 posts, read 256,192 times
I think you will do fine. I applaud your efforts.

Austin can be very expensive if you choice an expensive lifestyle. Plenty people here like Austin and are living on the cheap. $25K would last decades for some thrifty individuals, especially if you are willing to take some temporary employment while you look for something permanent.

In your fields, there are probably a lot of people with degrees, training and experience hanging out in Austin looking for those same jobs you are. Lots of students just stick around doing whatever they can instead of moving out of Austin. But with time and determination, you will find what you like. Just be flexible to get your foot in the door.

It's a good city and you will enjoy living here. Good luck.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:23 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,574,303 times
My wife and I did that type of move back in 2006 with similar degrees/experience levels. We both found jobs within about 2 months. Even with savings, we went the cheaper route and rented a 1 bedroom apartment in a nice apartment complex near the Arboretum for 6 months before buying a house.

The apartment was $700 at the time so I'm sure you could rent something similar now in the $800-$850 range. The only difference is that we had more specialized tech and bio/chem research backgrounds. I'm not sure how HR/Accounting translates here for the job market. Being from AZ, at least you'll be accustomed to the heat. The difference is that it doesn't cool down here at night during the summer like it does in AZ. Good luck.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:29 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,052,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving_to_Austin View Post
We live in an area that has an unemployment rate of 26.4%;and they are continueing to lay off city wide more and more....
Is that the main reason you're trying to move?
Or is it because you have friends/family or some other connection in Austin?

Old 04-20-2012, 07:14 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
The difference is that it doesn't cool down here at night during the summer like it does in AZ. Good luck.
It doesn't cool down in AZ at night unless you live up in the mountains near Flagstaff. Phoenix is very warm at night in the summer.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:25 AM

5,867 posts, read 11,926,362 times
You might want to consider joining some local groups on Linked In. There's one for high tech that I belong to and they have networking happy hours. In the mean time, you can join their discussion and jobs boards and start getting leads. With your experience, I think you'll be fine.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:25 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,574,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
It doesn't cool down in AZ at night unless you live up in the mountains near Flagstaff. Phoenix is very warm at night in the summer.
Interesting. I figured it would be similar to the deserts in CA like the Mojave. If we would go camping out there (CA desert), it would be 105 degrees during the day, but drop down to about 80 at night. It seems like it stays in the high or mid 90's in the Austin area when it gets over 100 during the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin