U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 05:39 AM

4,490 posts, read 10,175,134 times

Advertisements

I think most of you are missing the point entirely. Corcoran has been writing about music his entire career, had a paid gig at the Statesman doing what he loved and now that's gone and he's facing some harsh realities. Jennibc nailed it - you're taking it way too seriously and turning it into a yet another debate about whether Austin is Utopia or hell paved over. And as it was pointed out, he's taking jabs at himself too. He found himself unemployed at 56 and realized that the life he chose here in Austin isn't going to sustain him and he's got to face that fact as well. It's not an attack on Austin or he still wouldn't be here.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 06:12 AM

8,030 posts, read 8,130,895 times
Yes! On the old hipster comment.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:54 AM

2,237 posts, read 8,330,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I thought I recognized that name, he was a music critic for years at the Statesman. Here he is saying goodbye last year. Sounds jaded and burned out. Michael Corcoran's top 10: a music writer says farewell
That quote says a lot. He's a typical middle-aged ex-scenester who doesn't want to realize the scene passed him by without waving goodbye. He'll remember the good ole days in Austin while every generation before and after will also remember their own good ole days in Austin. Every generation thinks they're special and will be the one to make difference. Middle age creeps in and everyone realizes they're not unique and some deal with it and others are bitter douche bags about it.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:08 AM

1,137 posts, read 2,345,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquitaine View Post
Things that were factors for us in moving to Austin:

+ Friends already here
+ Great food
+ Climate
+ Theatre & Music
+ Low cost-of-living
+ Business-friendly
+ Liked proximity to Lake Travis
+ Lots of outdoor stuff to do
+ Diverse "enough"

Negatives:

- Far away from some family and friends
- Climate (it gets on both lists)
- Traffic
- Airport service is OK, not great

Non-factors:

* Zoo
* Sports teams
* Whether or not or to what extent Austin is more desirable than San Diego
* Boring sprawl
I like the airport, but yes, it is lacking. I expect that to change over time and probably sooner rather than later. Everything else is in line with us. We love Austin and it is non-eventful and it keeps us engaged along with other places would like NYC. I think is great.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:02 AM

Furthermore, people seem to think happy equals lazy and complacent but maybe we've created a great place to live. Is Detroit more "real"?

Old 04-25-2012, 11:38 AM

773 posts, read 1,123,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
I sort of get the impression he came expecting something else, or is longing for the good 'ol days.
Interestingly enough, I read "Corky's" column way, way back in the day before I could even get into most of the bars and venues that had live music. And even interestingly enough, he was really "rah-rah!" about the Austin music scene.

When I could finally see bands downtown, I had the same thoughts that he wrote about in this blog. "That's it? So what? Big deal." Even some of the acts that everyone was banging on about didn't enthuse me. Sorry, but I don't dig R & B and I never will, and that's mostly what the city had to offer.

I very rapidly came to the conclusion that TPTB in Austin hyped the music scene out the a**. I think that subsidizing starving musicians with health care is ridiculous. If you move here and experience epic FAIL, you should not get your teeth cleaned for free anymore than an aspiring novelist who moves to NYC or an jobless actor who moves to L.A.

But aside from the point. Corky hits the nail on the head when it comes to his assessment of the music scene. Otherwise? Sounds disgruntled to me. Had I wanted to be continuously entertained by outside stimuli, Austin wouldn't have been the place to live. I just wanted a decent place to live that was within my price range with just enough fun things to do, and it fit the bill nicely.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:05 PM

5,184 posts, read 6,138,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FueledByBlueBell View Post
I like the airport, but yes, it is lacking. I expect that to change over time and probably sooner rather than later.
For the size of the market served, AUS has outstanding service. Unless you are a hub, the flights, both in number and destinations served, is a function of "Origin & Destination traffic" -- O&D. Austin does quite well against peer markets.

If you take the five larger and five smaller MSAs, and throw out the hubs (Charlotte) and huge tourist/convention (Las Vegas), we have both an average number of n/s flights (3,500) and destinations (33). By comparison, Columbus, OH (#32 MSA to our #34) has on 30 n/s destinations. Norfolk (#36) has only 23 destinations, and 3,150 flights. San Jose (#31) has 24 n/s destinations.

We have an airport that is recognized internationally for the quality of the food service. It is spacious and confortable. We have flights that match to the size of the market, and are better than many of our population peers. I don't know what you could do besides be a metro of 4 million people. That cure is worse than the disease.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
For the size of the market served, AUS has outstanding service. Unless you are a hub, the flights, both in number and destinations served, is a function of "Origin & Destination traffic" -- O&D. Austin does quite well against peer markets.

If you take the five larger and five smaller MSAs, and throw out the hubs (Charlotte) and huge tourist/convention (Las Vegas), we have both an average number of n/s flights (3,500) and destinations (33). By comparison, Columbus, OH (#32 MSA to our #34) has on 30 n/s destinations. Norfolk (#36) has only 23 destinations, and 3,150 flights. San Jose (#31) has 24 n/s destinations.

We have an airport that is recognized internationally for the quality of the food service. It is spacious and confortable. We have flights that match to the size of the market, and are better than many of our population peers. I don't know what you could do besides be a metro of 4 million people. That cure is worse than the disease.
Sorry, I should have said the frequency of direct flights is lacking. The airport itself is fantastic.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:45 PM

5,184 posts, read 6,138,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FueledByBlueBell View Post
Sorry, I should have said the frequency of direct flights is lacking. The airport itself is fantastic.
Please point to a similar sized market with enough direct flights. The only way you get what you want is to either be a hub (ask Cincinnati, Nashville or Raleigh how transitory that status is), be Las Vegas, or be a 4.5M population metro.

I fly out and back almost every week. If I wanted to live somewhere that had direct flights, I'd move to Dallas or Houston. That is a cure worse than the disease.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:14 AM

4,490 posts, read 10,175,134 times
I'm confused- why are talking about the airport in this thread?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin