U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 06:11 AM

1,816 posts, read 2,375,415 times

Advertisements

Because I made a comment in the 'negatives' list about the airport being OK but not great. I apologize.

I absolutely agree that it's simply a function of size and did not mean to critique of the airport. Coming from NYC or comparing Austin to Dallas or Houston, the airport service is not great, but as was pointed out, that is true of any smaller city. Doesn't mean it isn't a negative though.

I've never had an unpleasant experience at the Austin airport, to be sure. Just unpleasant experiences buying tickets.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 06:54 AM

1,445 posts, read 2,923,797 times
OMG are you serious? As a frequent traveller, I can tell you without a doubt that Austin Airport is among the worst airports in the country. It is horribly inefficient from it's rediculous security lines, to it's lack of direct flights, to it's mostly horrible tasting food. It is the 6th busiest airport in the state, and last I checked, several airlines has cancelled routes to Austin because they aren't profitable. San Jose service been cut to once per day, Kansas City has been dropped as of next month and I believe Seattle was dropped as well.

Much easier to make the drive up to DFW.

Internationally recognized? Yes, I believe that. I dont think Austin is internationally recognzied for anything except being the capitol of Texas (maybe not even that)

Next thing you know, you'll claim that the Austin "freeway" system is internationally recognized for it's ease of use and efficiency! Oh wait, what about Capitol Metro (a company that has never made a dime since it's inception) OMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
For the size of the market served, AUS has outstanding service. Unless you are a hub, the flights, both in number and destinations served, is a function of "Origin & Destination traffic" -- O&D. Austin does quite well against peer markets.

If you take the five larger and five smaller MSAs, and throw out the hubs (Charlotte) and huge tourist/convention (Las Vegas), we have both an average number of n/s flights (3,500) and destinations (33). By comparison, Columbus, OH (#32 MSA to our #34) has on 30 n/s destinations. Norfolk (#36) has only 23 destinations, and 3,150 flights. San Jose (#31) has 24 n/s destinations.

We have an airport that is recognized internationally for the quality of the food service. It is spacious and confortable. We have flights that match to the size of the market, and are better than many of our population peers. I don't know what you could do besides be a metro of 4 million people. That cure is worse than the disease.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:23 AM

1,816 posts, read 2,375,415 times
I suppose I should not be surprised to point out that, as a frequent traveler, the Austin airport I use does not fit eepstein's description. It sounds like you are describing Philadelphia.

I believe one airline cancelled a route to Austin during the reecssion. Lots of airlines cancelled routes to lots of places.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:48 AM

12,971 posts, read 25,393,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
OMG are you serious? As a frequent traveller, I can tell you without a doubt that Austin Airport is among the worst airports in the country.
OMG are you serious? As a very high-mileage traveler, I can tell you without a doubt that Austin Airport is among my favorite airports in the country.

Quote:
It is horribly inefficient from it's rediculous security lines, to it's lack of direct flights, to it's mostly horrible tasting food.
Not only is it quick and easy to get to from Central Austin, but typically I get through security faster in Austin than almost anywhere else I travel. Of course, like any smart traveler, I avoid peak traffic periods as much as possible. It would be nice if there were more direct flights, but I don't blame that on the airport, and it sure beats having to drive to DFW. It's (contraction of "it is") ridiculously nice to be able to catch some of my favorite Austin foods on the way in or out of town. Salt Lick for breakfast? With Patty Griffin on the sound system? In a gorgeous, inspiring airport? Priceless!

Old 04-26-2012, 08:27 AM

8,723 posts, read 17,410,224 times
Also a somewhat high-mileage traveler here. As long as AUS has non-stops to NYC, Vegas, Southern & Northern CAL and Southern FL then I'm good.

The food, short security lines, easy parking and good proximity to town are just bonuses IMO.

I do wish the concessions (food, drink, stores) were open a little later, though.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:39 AM

12,201 posts, read 12,011,168 times
Austin isn't to the level of the hype machine, neither is it in any way hellish. It's in the middle. I left NYC for Austin due to love. Maybe that's why I will never be disappointed Many of the relocatees who moved here not because of the excessive hype end up doing very well here because they have other things that serve as anchors, like jobs and spouses. Overall, Austin and the suburbs are great. One thing I could do without are the critters...but that's another thread.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:52 AM

3,765 posts, read 8,225,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquitaine View Post
I suppose I should not be surprised to point out that, as a frequent traveler, the Austin airport I use does not fit eepstein's description. It sounds like you are describing Philadelphia.

I believe one airline cancelled a route to Austin during the reecssion. Lots of airlines cancelled routes to lots of places.
Yes, this! Flying out of Austin is so easy compared to just about every other airport I've flown out of. It has one of the fastest security lines I've ever encountered.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:20 AM

2,633 posts, read 5,833,427 times
Quote:
OMG are you serious? As a frequent traveller, I can tell you without a doubt that Austin Airport is among the worst airports in the country. It is horribly inefficient from it's rediculous security lines, to it's lack of direct flights, to it's mostly horrible tasting food.
As a very frequent traveler, I disagree with your assessment here. You obviously have never flown out of:
San Diego (1+ hour baggage lines, security lines and exactly one "restaurant") Albuquerque (Unbelievable lines, with no bypass for frequent fliers, horrible gate areas)
Fort Myers (same as ABQ)
Orlando (lines and brainless people everywhere, checked baggae takes 45 minutes to get off the plane)
Oakland (unreal security lines and totally inefficient setup, no food anywhere)
Orange County (see Oakland, and add the Disney crowd from Orlando in the summer)

That's just the ones I've hit this month that don't compare to Austin. The food alone at AUS wins, plus a large open bar area to sit and people watch without 100 people hanging over your shoulder!

Quote:
It is the 6th busiest airport in the state
This right here should be used as a rebuttal every time you say anything, ever - this has zero factual basis and is randomly pulled out of your rear, like every other "ranking" or statistic you use. AUS is right there with Hobby as the 3rd busiest, behind DFW and IAH, both pushing right around 4.3 million passengers annually.

Quote:
last I checked, several airlines has cancelled routes to Austin because they aren't profitable. San Jose service been cut to once per day, Kansas City has been dropped as of next month and I believe Seattle was dropped as well.
San Jose is 2X per day, there's also Oakland as well (2X per day) and Seattle is still serviced NS by Alaska. In the past two months, NS service has been announced for a number of cities, including DC, Cancun and JFK. As for your KC citation, air traffic in/out of KC is down 20% in the past 4 years, likely unprofitable for all airlines - not surprised it got cut.

Quote:
Much easier to make the drive up to DFW.
Go ahead! Pay more for your flight, spend 7 hours driving there and back to avoid *gasp* a connection in Dallas? Aren't you always railing against all the roads and driving in TX? Maybe it's your approach?

Quote:
Internationally recognized? Yes, I believe that. I dont think Austin is internationally recognzied for anything except being the capitol of Texas (maybe not even that)
One of 14 airports WORLDWIDE to receive the ACI Roll of Excellence, consistently ranked by air travel associations like ACI in the top 10 in the nation (#4 last year)

Bottom line, you need to check your hate and resentment for your own choices that have led you to a place that you're obviously not happy in - facts, real facts, don't agree with what you're seeing.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:45 AM

8,030 posts, read 8,133,442 times
Is the airport really that big a deal?
Unless you are a frequent traveler to overseas, should the airport example even be relevant?

Old 04-26-2012, 09:57 AM

2,633 posts, read 5,833,427 times
I know this thread has totally taken a left turn, but...

For me, personally, my "home" airport can be a big deal. I fly once per week domestically, pick the wrong "home base" and I've added potentially hours of hassle to my life. At ABIA, I can get from my front door to the plane in under an hour - just about any time of day or any time of year. That's with a 30 min drive and parking in the long term lot. Some days/times that means leveraging the toll roads and fly-by lanes, but that's worth the extra few bucks to me to save the hours of hassle.

I guess it all depends on how often you need the airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin