Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 07:12 AM

2,093 posts, read 1,926,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Opps, didn't make it that far .

That might be quite true. But I guess my point would be, not everyone comes for the hype. I have been here (or near here) for a long time, and although everyone has their own perspective and priorities, I think of Austin as a place to be outside - a LOT, spring, summer, winter, or fall - playing, swimming, or eating (love patio dining). I am not 'big' into the music scene, but I like going out to Nutty Brown, unplugged at the Grove, and people watching during SXSW.

I like that I feel safe pretty much whatever turn I take in the city. Even the 'seedier' areas seem to have a 'property' crime aura rather than a 'violent' crime aura.

I like that I can strike up a random conversation with the person in front of me in line just about anywhere, and they are usually more than happy to engage while they are waiting for whatever.

Anyway, there may be dozens of places where you can find similar opportunities or places where an aspect important to you is more prominent than here. There may even be a place where I would be happier and I just don't know it, but 'the grass is always greener' is not a good motto to live by, especially when the proverbial grass is far from dead where you are.

Finally, at what point does being mediocre or above in almost everything equate to being exceptional overall?
All those reasons are why its a perfectly nice place to live. Some people thrive off bigger events and amenities, and to them, it may not work after awhile. If good weather, low cost of living, and low crime are tops, then its a great place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 07:20 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,268,154 times
Yes, pretty accurate I would say. But don't let the COA see this one. It speaks truth about their fair city, and as we well know NO ONE in Austin wants the truth. Just the "fastasy" of what they THINK they have which is basically EXTREME mediocity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Must be written by one of our many satisfied relocatees! Ouch.

Welcome to Mediocre, Texas | MichaelCorcoran.net
Only the mediocre are always at their best, someone said, which could be why Austin is so damn proud of itself.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:44 AM

211 posts, read 431,187 times
Only thing that was mediocre was this guys writing...why doesnt he leave if he finds it so mediocre? I live near NYC and avoid it at all cost due to several reasons and have been to L.A (cesspool) before and felt like it was the worst major city that I've visited, never looked forward to getting on an airplane more in my life

Old 04-24-2012, 07:57 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,060,121 times
You guys are taking that post too seriously. Read some of his other stuff.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:08 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Quote:
You guys are taking that post too seriously. Read some of his other stuff.
Nah, not really taking it seriously, he is using some hyperbole to make a point (and not necessarily a point w/o some merit). But his writing is not entertaining enough, and his 'hipster' approach a bit annoying, to warrant me reading other material of his :P

Old 04-24-2012, 08:31 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,060,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Nah, not really taking it seriously, he is using some hyperbole to make a point (and not necessarily a point w/o some merit). But his writing is not entertaining enough, and his 'hipster' approach a bit annoying, to warrant me reading other material of his :P
It's funny - he's a 56 year old - it's hard to imagine him as a hipster.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:50 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Yeah, that is kind of the annoying thing...he is playing hipster by being disdainful of the typical 'stuff'...disdain is just not good reading, to me :P

Old 04-24-2012, 10:45 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
I thought I recognized that name, he was a music critic for years at the Statesman. Here he is saying goodbye last year. Sounds jaded and burned out. Michael Corcoran's top 10: a music writer says farewell

Quote:
I first moved here in 1984 at age 28 and thought I'd found paradise. I'm now 55, and Emo's on a Saturday night holds the same appeal to me as a packed emergency room.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:55 AM

2,101 posts, read 4,527,125 times
Apparently the key to having a world-class city is to be able to impress a crank like Michael Corcoran. How much you want to bet that if he were in New York City, he'd be bitching about that city, too?

Old 04-24-2012, 07:04 PM

1,825 posts, read 2,827,853 times
Things that were factors for us in moving to Austin:

+ Friends already here
+ Great food
+ Climate
+ Theatre & Music
+ Low cost-of-living
+ Business-friendly
+ Liked proximity to Lake Travis
+ Lots of outdoor stuff to do
+ Diverse "enough"

Negatives:

- Far away from some family and friends
- Climate (it gets on both lists)
- Traffic
- Airport service is OK, not great

Non-factors:

* Zoo
* Sports teams
* Whether or not or to what extent Austin is more desirable than San Diego
* Boring sprawl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin