Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2012, 04:26 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,752,792 times

Advertisements

Thoughts on strengths and weaknesses on each for those that have children who go there. I am extending my teacher employment scope to Austin since I am wanting to maximize employment possibilities. I currently live in the Dallas area and YES I AM AWARE of the teacher layoffs and state budget cuts. I just want to apply to more areas to maximize chances with my math and science background.

Also, are there other districts besides those within a 40 mile radius of downtown Austin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 04:40 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,376,890 times
There's also Leander ISD and Round Rock ISD, and a host of Charter schools as well. IMO, all of the public districts are solid, with Eanes and LTISD the "premier" districts. Just about all the districts have fairly involved PTA's.

RRISD and Leander both have gone through a number of rounds of rezoning as they grow. The growth is a positive, with the rezoning a potential negative.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:49 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,178,837 times
There's quite a few ISDs in this area.

In addition to the ones that EzPeterson mentioned, within 40 miles of downtown (downtown to downtown in each case) there's Georgetown ISD, Pflugerville ISD, Hutto ISD, Taylor ISD, Elgin ISD, Manor ISD, Dripping Springs ISD, San Marcos ISD, Hays ISD, and quite a few others. I don't know which ones are hiring or which ones would be a match for you, but there's certainly no shortage of them! Plus, of course, the private and charter schools that might be hiring.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:59 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,752,792 times
Thanks for the info guys! Can anybody list some things as far as strengths and weaknesses that they see to each? That would help me get a better picture from the "outside" so to speak. The school district websites can be extravagant "window dressing" in my opinion sometimes making them appear better than they are. BTW, I am fully certified in Texas and DID NOT go through an ALT CERT program. Certification up through 8th grade in core subjects.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:08 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,060,442 times
Eanes ISD=Highland Park ISD. LTISD=Coppell ISD. Leander ISD at the moment is kinda like Frisco w/ all the growth and "influence". With all their pro's and con's.

Old 04-28-2012, 05:59 AM

709 posts, read 1,394,568 times
Poor Del Valle.

It is bigger and closer to Austin than all of those mentioned above, but always gets forgotten.

Last edited by BevoLJ; 04-28-2012 at 06:07 AM..

Old 04-28-2012, 08:42 AM

326 posts, read 681,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
Eanes ISD=Highland Park ISD. LTISD=Coppell ISD. Leander ISD at the moment is kinda like Frisco w/ all the growth and "influence". With all their pro's and con's.
LTISD is not Coppell ISD. If you want to compare LTISD with a Dallas area school district it would be Carroll ISD.

Coppell is much larger than LT and is only rated "Recognized" by TEA whereas LT is "Exemplary" like Carroll.

The Lake Travis area and Southlake area are eerily similar...

Old 04-28-2012, 08:57 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,699,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeTravisAlum View Post
LTISD is not Coppell ISD. If you want to compare LTISD with a Dallas area school district it would be Carroll ISD.

Coppell is much larger than LT and is only rated "Recognized" by TEA whereas LT is "Exemplary" like Carroll.

The Lake Travis area and Southlake area are eerily similar...
I agree! And LT is obsessed with their football as much as Carroll is too... I mean, you have to be a season ticket holder for high school football in order to see a game!

Old 04-28-2012, 09:26 AM

13,715 posts, read 31,003,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
I agree! And LT is obsessed with their football as much as Carroll is too... I mean, you have to be a season ticket holder for high school football in order to see a game!
I respectfully suggest that this is not true (about tickets). Although the games are popular, for most games you can still get tickets at the door. The football at LT has recently been very very good, but as recently as 2002 the team was winless (0-10). In 2003 they were 3-7.

I'll also point out that although football gets a lot of attention, LT excels in a wide variety of extracurricular programs. The non-football sports are generally very good to excellent (such as girls volleyball). LT earned 8 of the 151 "gold seal" awards at the state-wide Visual Arts Scholastic Event recently.

http://www.laketravis.txed.net/cms/l...ent%204-12.pdf

Last edited by hoffdano; 04-28-2012 at 09:34 AM..

Old 04-28-2012, 11:43 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,699,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I respectfully suggest that this is not true (about tickets). Although the games are popular, for most games you can still get tickets at the door. The football at LT has recently been very very good, but as recently as 2002 the team was winless (0-10). In 2003 they were 3-7.
Though it was partially tongue in cheek, it's also true. My husband and I were invited to a game a couple of years ago because a friend's parents couldn't use their tickets. Not an empty seat in the place. I hardly believe you can just drive up and expect a ticket on game day. They have won 5 straight Championships.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin