Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 10:37 AM

1,157 posts, read 2,652,589 times

Advertisements

Anyone have a fridge they love (make and type)? We are about to buy a new one as well and would love to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 10:55 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times
Our 8 year-old KitchenAid side by side is running just fine; although, we had to replace the nylon door hinge guide/stop as have many other owners. Actually an easy, almost fun project that DW helped me with.

The Maytag bottom-drawer-freezer unit we 'thought' we needed has been running just fine in the garage for 4 years. Gotta be careful that the neighbor kids actually CLOSE the freezer drawer after getting a push-up .

On the subject of clothes washers, our top-load Bravos was the most efficient top-loader when we got it four years ago. Running great but doesn't 'tumble' clothes the way a front loader does. Easier to add the stray sock or t-shirt after the cycle has started, less bending and searching for clothes compared to the front loader. On our Kenmore front loader in the previous home, we swiped the water off the gasket each time and left the door just 'cracked' open...no musty problems at all.

If you're not buying a full gruppo of matching appliances, I'd just find a good deal on a reputable brand from a reputable dealer and have at it! Seems like everyone makes models that don't live up to the 'brand reputation' and others that exceed expectations. True that if you read about consistent problems with a particular model, the odds are not in your favor; however, without a large number of reviews of any model, it's a bit of a crap shoot.

We got our Maytag w/d and fridge with some pretty good discounts, free delivery and install and gift card rebates AND it was a 'no tax' holiday sale for Memorial Day back in '08. Not sure if anything like that applies this year, but a Memorial Day sale is almost guaranteed! You might also check the new Sears Outlet on 183 near Anderson Mill Rd.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:28 AM

181 posts, read 429,653 times
New house, all appliances are Whirlpool and would not buy Whirlpool if they need replaced. The double door stainless refrigerator has needed 6 service calls in less than a year. The last one they had to replace the freezer door. Yes like someone else said the ice dispenser does not work well, shoots ice and chips all over the place and they can't adjust it. We don't use it because it makes a mess.
The apartment dishwasher got the dishes cleaner than the new Whirlpool.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:56 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Since the quality of products produced by a company can change over time, I always check Consumer Reports before making a major purchase. Even if you are not a member, they often have relevant articles available free online.
Consumer Reports

You can also google for something like "refrigerator reviews" and find lots of good information.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:06 AM

1 posts, read 1,555 times
Which one do you think is better....Samsung or Whirlpool? We are quite confused!!

Old 01-08-2014, 01:08 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Two years later I'll add... this is not really an Austin topic, and probably should be moved to a different forum.

Old 01-08-2014, 04:46 AM

77 posts, read 124,059 times
4 years ago when I outfitted all appliances in my house I did extensive research and settled on Kenmore (I think they are made by Maytag or Whirlpool anyway). Have had zero issues. At the time LG and Samsung were having lots of issues. Not sure about now. Make sure to research the model number online for reviews. Always helps. Can depend on the model.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:12 AM

91 posts, read 176,003 times
Whichever brand you choose, I suggest adding the extended warranty. We've had bad luck (?) over the years with refrigerators, different brands, needing repair within a couple of years of purchase, so we always factor in the cost of the extended warranty, if only for peace of mind. Our last refrigerator purchase was in summer of 2012 and was for a Whirlpool french door/bottom freezer model. The 'frig has been great, but we recently had the ice maker replaced (the kind that is in the freezer, not in the door), so the $99 we spent on an extended 4-year warranty has already paid for itself. Now, if they still made appliances like my 20-year-old, bare bones Maytag washer and dryer (my first "adult" purchase when I graduated from college), there wouldn't be a need for extended warranties!! I will mourn the day they die on me.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:16 PM

45 posts, read 132,366 times
We got a samsung french door refrigerator (quite expensive at ~$2200) recently and have been very *unhappy* about it. Too much noise and after 4 technician visits, we still have the issue. The technicians either cannot fix it or continue to insist the noise is normal. It is like an old motor making noise which can really be irritating. I did see that there are others who have complained of similar issues on this model.

So this is something which you would want to research on before picking a model. Search forums and youtube and see if people have complained about it. Noise complaints can easily be categorized as compressor noise by manufacturers and they will wash their hands off the issue even though it might be quite a bit of noise.

Some of our neighbors have LG and they seem to indicate they have no issue. Anyway, it might eventually be your luck once you purchase a refrigerator irrespective of the manufacturer. If extending the warranty for an extra year is cheap, I would highly recommend that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin