Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 06:07 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,050,022 times

Advertisements

Public Transit System Rankings - New from Walk Score

A little surprised at being below SA. Austin is between KC and Sacramento. Dallas and Houston are next to each other as highest in the state, but not high overall for the US.

I'm personally not that concerned over the "bad" ranking (public transit is good if you live university or very central) but wonder if others are, and if so, what are their thoughts on this newest list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 06:28 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,879,027 times
I know a couple cities on the list are already complaining about their ranking and the methodology used to create these rankings. Here's their methodology: Walk Score - Helping homebuyers, renters, and real estate agents find houses and apartments in great neighborhoods.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:34 PM

1,445 posts, read 3,267,358 times
Capitol Metro is pretty much the laughing stock of the nation with regards to it's efficiency, planning, and operating budget. (SHHH, no one tell the COA) It is one of the few transportation agencies in the nation that have never made a dime since it's inception. Other cities with that dubious distinction would be Topeka Metro Transit, Mountain Metro Transit (Colorado Springs), and FAX (City of Fresno Transit). Those are the ones I know off the top of my head, but there are likely more.

As was stated below, unless you live within a 5 miles radius of downtown, Cap Metro is pretty much useless. And the laughable metrorail aka "throw down something cheap to shut up the poor people" continues to have very low ridership. Sure, some people are riding it, but the freeways in Austin are more congested than ever and it has proven to be yet another complete WASTE of tax payer money. Similar to the concept of SQUEEZING another lane onto Mopac for people to pay (AN AUSTIN ORIGNAL)

Some of my past co-workers up at RTD and SACTO are always asking me what capitol metro has screwed up this time. They always get a great laugh, and the big shots over there generally try to do the OPPOSITE of what Cap Metro does with regards to operating budgets and overall planning issues.

Unfortunately a life was recently lost because of the unsafe practices of the MetroRail. Obviously it was just an accident waiting to happen along the crossing areas where vehicles are. Very sad indeed. Hopefully some more precautions will be taken at these mostly dangerous intersections.

No question that Austin belongs on the bottom of the list within the state of Texas and very low within the country as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Public Transit System Rankings - New from Walk Score

A little surprised at being below SA. Austin is between KC and Sacramento. Dallas and Houston are next to each other as highest in the state, but not high overall for the US.

I'm personally not that concerned over the "bad" ranking (public transit is good if you live university or very central) but wonder if others are, and if so, what are their thoughts on this newest list.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:48 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,050,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah62 View Post
I know a couple cities on the list are already complaining about their ranking and the methodology used to create these rankings.
Oh, I'm sure they are. Probably not the ones toward the top though.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:56 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,428,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
As was stated below, unless you live within a 5 miles radius of downtown, Cap Metro is pretty much useless.
Actually, Arboretum and Tech Ridge are both well served, and they're about 10 and 12 miles from downtown.

Quote:
And the laughable metrorail aka "throw down something cheap to shut up the poor people" continues to have very low ridership.
Actually, ridership is running ahead of original projections.

Quote:
Unfortunately a life was recently lost because of the unsafe practices of the MetroRail.
Actually, it was an ungated crossing on private property. Unfortunately the driver of the car apparently did not obey the stop sign.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:46 PM

63 posts, read 127,691 times
I wish the MetroRail ran a little later during the week. I can't even take it downtown for the day and come back after dinner or something because the last one going North is at 6:34. That's too early.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:05 PM

7 posts, read 16,369 times
I was at a Social Media Club Austin panel the other day. They had some representatives from CapMetro there. I think that they are at least starting to be forward thinking in the way that they are looking to use social media to improve the experience for commuters in Austin. The panel was on transportation and the representative there was well spoken on the initiatives that CapMetro has in the works. Anyone can complain, but IMO we should encourage the efforts that they are making to improve the system.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:10 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,428,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittenlittle View Post
I wish the MetroRail ran a little later during the week. I can't even take it downtown for the day and come back after dinner or something because the last one going North is at 6:34. That's too early.
Hey, at least they already added runs until midnight Friday and Saturday. That was unexpected, this early in the game. If ridership keeps rising there will be more justification for expanding service.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:51 PM

125 posts, read 293,841 times
Capital Metro has been a real bad organization for years. I always imagined a seminar on public transportation and the bus people on one side and train people on the other. Cap metro folks really wanted to cross the room and would have sold their soul for a train. Any train.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:00 PM

1,445 posts, read 3,267,358 times
You are not kidding sir!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
Capital Metro has been a real bad organization for years. I always imagined a seminar on public transportation and the bus people on one side and train people on the other. Cap metro folks really wanted to cross the room and would have sold their soul for a train. Any train.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: