Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 06:37 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,880,361 times

Advertisements

Yep. Besides, there was just someone around these parts a few days ago who was worried about Texas reminding her family of Lyndon Johnson!

(My only painful Texas association is that Harry Butt Jr guy who had those awful one-minute spots on KLBJ radio.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 10:24 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,126,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah62 View Post
Yep. Besides, there was just someone around these parts a few days ago who was worried about Texas reminding her family of Lyndon Johnson!

(My only painful Texas association is that Harry Butt Jr guy who had those awful one-minute spots on KLBJ radio.)
Florence butt (founded the original grocery)
Howard Butt (named it HEB)
Howard butt Jr (laity lodge and the one minute spots - they are on 2K stations)

Old 05-03-2012, 07:15 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,808,870 times
Abercorn International in Lakeway does Spanish and Mandarin. It's not immersion, but they do the lessons everyday.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:41 AM

101 posts, read 218,944 times
there are several options for schools that offer mandarin in austin including magellan and abercorn international. meggie was a teacher at abercorn when they started i believe. neither school offers immersion but I think parents supplement with either chinese nannies or extra classes if the mandarin is that important to them.

i think austin has a lot more to offer than houston as a city and the private schools are as good or better. its also a much nicer place to live.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:46 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,051,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsc2 View Post
there are several options for schools that offer mandarin in austin including magellan and abercorn international. meggie was a teacher at abercorn when they started i believe. neither school offers immersion but I think parents supplement with either chinese nannies or extra classes if the mandarin is that important to them.

i think austin has a lot more to offer than houston as a city and the private schools are as good or better. its also a much nicer place to live.
I would disagree that it has a lot more to offer as a city, unless you are talking some specific outdoorsy things. In fact quite the opposite, these are two totally different tier of cities and to assume otherwise is a bit ridiculous. I don't know much about private schools there, however.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:47 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,420,310 times
All things being equal, I would probably prefer to live and raise kids in Austin. (That is not to say that one and one's kids can't have a great life in Houston.)

However, it is also true that there are many more opportunities in Houston to interact with people from China, as well as enjoy aspects of Chinese culture. Also, the new Mandarin Language Immersion school here will be located in Bellaire, which is a nice and convenient location.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:34 PM

58 posts, read 256,194 times
I second Abercorn International in Lakeway. Mandarin is a part of their curriculum from the earliest age. I don't know to what degree though, you would have to contact the school and ask. If the food served at the school is important to you, you will be happy to hear that Abercorn only serves organic food to all the students, prepared by a local eatery on a daily basis. We took a tour of the school a while back, and was impressed. It is expensive, about 15k a year. There is a sibling discount of some sort. We haven't decided yet what to do about education for our own children, they're still toddlers, but I consider Abercorn to be a great alternative to homeschooling, which is my current wish and plan.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:58 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,617,568 times
Quote:
On the other hand I would come home from school and watch tv for 2-3 hours - totally wasted time.
Really, that was like me now I wish my parents had FORCED me to go to Chinese School instead of park me in front of a TV.....and we lived in Urbana, Illinois where there were tons and tons and tons of Mandarin speakers so that Chinese School was *big*.

Austin is somewhat like Urbana, Illinois where you have a large population of Mandarin speakers drawn to a university so that should bode well for the Doss Chinese immersion program. I always thought it was kind of weird that there was the Magic Dragon Chinese immersion preschool but no elementary level Chinese immersion available...until this fall I think.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:49 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,126,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhugeliang1 View Post
Really, that was like me now I wish my parents had FORCED me to go to Chinese School instead of park me in front of a TV.....and we lived in Urbana, Illinois where there were tons and tons and tons of Mandarin speakers so that Chinese School was *big*.

Austin is somewhat like Urbana, Illinois where you have a large population of Mandarin speakers drawn to a university so that should bode well for the Doss Chinese immersion program. I always thought it was kind of weird that there was the Magic Dragon Chinese immersion preschool but no elementary level Chinese immersion available...until this fall I think.
there are many people that speak mandarin but almost none that are in the elementary education field. Chinese school in urbana was taught by the wives of professors. Very much old style chinese teaching methods.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:18 AM

1,690 posts, read 3,617,568 times
Quote:
there are many people that speak mandarin but almost none that are in the elementary education field.
Actually that is starting to change. Well, no, now that I think about it, my first advisor in special ed was a Mandarin speaker from Taiwan and that was about 15 years ago!

Quote:
Chinese school in urbana was taught by the wives of professors. Very much old style chinese teaching methods.
Actually, I did know many of the Chinese teachers in the Urbana school. Not very many were wives of professors, most were wives of graduate students or were students themselves teaching on weekends. Old style back then, yes, but the weird thing is they gave me a set of their textbooks from 1986 and I actually use them with my own kids now. My kids are teens, they didn't like the content of most of today's textbooks, said they were silly and babyish. So I cracked open the box of old style textbooks and presto! old school textbooks for the....uh...new age.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin