Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 01:18 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,049,590 times

Advertisements

Scranton to Austin - YouTube

Since money will be tight with Jim working in the start-up with Darryl, and Austin is the perfect stay-at-home mom town for Pam, and they’ll need good public schools for the kids, I predict Jim and Pam end up in Pflugerville.

It’s reasonably close to downtown, has some good schools, and recently, in an article I read, was referred to as “becoming hip”. Hmmm.

Old 06-09-2013, 01:38 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,759,138 times
What realtor promotional website referred to Pflugerville as "becoming hip"

Old 06-09-2013, 01:38 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
That would work!

Old 06-09-2013, 01:50 PM

They're chasing a dream that doesn't exist anymore. Jim and Pam no doubt aspire to be 78704. They want a beautiful neighborhood that is connected to the city. But 78704 hasn't been affordable for a long time and neither have the zip codes near it (unless willing to go to something horrible on East Stassney).

If they're willing to downsize AND swallow a huge monthly rent, then they can rent for a while, live on savings from house and build their careers and maybe a few years down the line, buy a condo or look to gentrifying areas near the central core (if any are left).

They could maybe try to buy into a gentrifying area on the East side and go the private school route - this is what I would advise.

My guess is after hunting around Realtor.com and realizing the choice is between something ungodly expensive or a ticky tack DR Horton home in the suburbs and face nasty commutes and high transportation costs and then looking at the miniscule paycheck that a start up will pay Jim here - they quickly rethink coming - especially when all they know about the city is it's hot and the tacos are for real.

Old 06-09-2013, 02:17 PM

361 posts, read 1,163,402 times
I talked to Jim and Pam's realtor yesterday. They are moving to Mueller and plan to send their kids to Ridgetop for Spanish immersion.

Old 06-09-2013, 02:42 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,049,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenPlastic View Post
I talked to Jim and Pam's realtor yesterday. They are moving to Mueller and plan to send their kids to Ridgetop for Spanish immersion.
That's plausible I guess.

Komet, I can't find the article. It was one of those "100 best small cities" and Pf was #43 or something. /it said it was "becoming hip". I kid you not.

But with two area codes, the transportation mess, etc., it's just a different place now. Better or worse depending on perspective. But where do young couples like Jim and Pam belong, that they can afford and fit in as parents while still feeling like they a a part of Austin and its "vibe"?

Steve

Old 06-09-2013, 02:51 PM

They should immediately drop the dream of a SF detached near hip and cool areas - it's not going to happen for them. Time to get real.

The good news is - there are options for people who want to live centrally and who aren't tied to a big yard and a 3 car garage and all that crap. Mueller is a great option - but not if they're looking at the SF detached homes as those start in the 400s and quickly go up to a million.

But there are really nice, really spacious new construction town homes and Mueller House condos that can be had for much more reasonable sums. And yeah, they give up a yard (that is expensive to maintain anyway) they still get personal outdoor patios and such and access at nearly their doorstep to about 150 acres of parks all maintained by city/poa.

If I were their realtor, I'd tell them if they want to be in central Austin (and I would tell them they DO in fact, want to be in central Austin) to not even consider looking at SF detached. They can get the vibe, still be parents, and enjoy all that Austin has to offer and all they they have to do is rethink the importance of a lawn.

Unfortunately, there are very few options like Mueller for Jim and Pam. Mueller is very much the exception and not the rule as most the the city has made development that dense to be illegal. Even if they wanted to go into a condo or townhome there are very very few options available - Downtown is priced out of reach, there are very few lots in Austin zoned MF and the SF3 zoning has so tied up the rest of the city under the McMansion ordinance. So they can find a run down place, a renovated place (very expensive) or a new place in Mueller. Otherwise they're shuffled off to the suburbs, which, no doubt is where most realtors will end up taking them (look at this nice spacious home in Cedar Park - don't worry about that hour long commute each way and that they nearest restaurant is a 10 minute drive to a Chucky Cheese - you'll get use to it).

Last edited by Komeht; 06-09-2013 at 03:04 PM..

Old 06-09-2013, 02:52 PM

318 posts, read 669,981 times
I think they'll end up in Cedar Park. Good 'hoods and schools for Cece and Philip, close enough to the city for Jim's commute, reasonably priced homes for their needs.

(Not knocking Pflugerville, just haven't had any experiences with it.)

And, I love that Pam and Jim live on.

Old 06-09-2013, 03:26 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
What realtor promotional website referred to Pflugerville as "becoming hip"
The one who frequents the only indoor gun range in the area. I think he meant 'Shoot from the hip' (Not allowed at that range, BTW)

Old 06-09-2013, 03:28 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,275,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
The good news is - there are options for people who want to live centrally and who aren't tied to a big yard and a 3 car garage and all that crap. Mueller is a great option - but not if they're looking at the SF detached homes as those start in the 400s and quickly go up to a million.

But there are really nice, really spacious new construction town homes and Mueller House condos that can be had for much more reasonable sums. And yeah, they give up a yard (that is expensive to maintain anyway) they still get personal outdoor patios and such and access at nearly their doorstep to about 150 acres of parks all maintained by city/poa.
I realize all that works for you. But Kohmet, I think you make a real mistake when you underestimate the value of your own fenced yard when you have kids. And I think you over estimate the importance of being a ten minute drive to Rainey Street vice thirty minutes.

I will, dangerously I admit, presume that your livelihood doesn't depend upon persuading people. Like Austin-steve, mine does. And I've learned that people do things for reasons that make sense to them, and not to you. Maybe Jim likes working in his yard, and you hate the thought. Maybe Pam wants an enclosed yard for Cece and her brother, while you'd be happy letting them play in a park. Maybe after you have kids, your mind will change as well. Maybe won't. But the continuing demand for just those types of housing means that is a popular choice - as opposed to raising a family in multi-family housing. No matter how hip the neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin