Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 04:07 PM

239 posts, read 518,042 times

Advertisements

Wave or not.....just GET OFF THE FREAKIN' PHONE and PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR DRIVING!!
&@!!%^!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 04:40 PM

3,787 posts, read 6,997,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbchitown View Post
Wave or not.....just GET OFF THE FREAKIN' PHONE and PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR DRIVING!!
&@!!%^!!

Second that! I cannot believe how many people I see texting, looking down, NOT looking at the road. When I watch them drive they appear to be drunk. A few days ago someone almost ran me off the road because they were texting and weaving...sideways into me.

I won't apologize for it: I advocate stopping and fining them.

How about making it so the phone will not activate while driving, or how about voice activation, so no need to text? Seriously, what are people thinking texting while driving????

There has got to be a solution to this problem.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:43 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,286,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
People do it without that all the time, brat.
There's that Southern common courtesy I love so much.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:02 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,098,252 times
I certainly agree that everyone on the road is more in danger since the advent of cell phones and texting, considering that many people can't restrain themselves from these activities when they should be paying attention to the road. Not that there weren't distractions before cell phones, but they were less ubiquitous.

Old 05-19-2012, 07:45 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
There's that Southern common courtesy I love so much.
Care to clarify?

Old 05-19-2012, 12:06 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,772,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Care to clarify?
Yeah, that made no sense whatsoever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
I'm not saying waving is not a nice gesture. I do it here too, since that's just the way it goes in Texas. I even do it for a while when I get back to the Northeast if someone lets me over, until I realize that people there don't need to be coddled as much every time they do a favor on the road for someone they don't know.

Letting people in when appropriate, MOVING OVER, and actually paying attention to other people on the road are simply necessary to keep things going in more dense, fast paced places. There is no thanks needed. Up there, you can't just zone out with your thumb in your butt, drifting across the fast lanes at 20 miles below the speed limit like you're the only person on the road and are entitled to not care that other people need to get places. Nobody would ever move.

It's just kind of funny that people here need a wave to feel like a special little snowflake for doing something they should do anyway, and if you don't do that you might as well have spit on their mother's grave. I mean, grow up.

But that's just my opinion. I wave here-- got the memo.
That's the best rationalization of New England driving I've ever heard!

Old 05-19-2012, 01:47 PM

1,825 posts, read 2,826,725 times
I am a special little snowflake but I hereby grant you dispensation not to wave to me.

Old 05-19-2012, 03:38 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beardown54 View Post
The worst traffic I hit when travelling thru Texas was I-35 in Austin. Jammed, bumper-to-bumper for a few miles. I didn't have any slowdown driving thru the DFW area for comparison.
Try taking I-35 northbound into downtown Dallas at rush hour and attempt to merge to the right lanes to get off for the tollway up to Addison. Talk about slowdowns.

Old 05-19-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
I certainly agree that everyone on the road is more in danger since the advent of cell phones and texting, considering that many people can't restrain themselves from these activities when they should be paying attention to the road. Not that there weren't distractions before cell phones, but they were less ubiquitous.
Saw a soccer mom this afternoon in a minivan yakkin' on her frickin' cellphone blow right thru the 4-way stop intersection at Pocono & O'Connor up here in Brushy Creek. She never slowed down a bit.

Old 05-19-2012, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHenrySDM View Post
I grew up in New Hampshire and we made a point of waving to all the out-of-state drivers. To save time, though, we waved with one finger.
So that meant y'all were #1?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin