Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 09:00 PM

944 posts, read 3,954,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman107 View Post
You know another topic I've not seen mentioned yet: ALLERGIES
Central Texas has sometimes been called the allergy Capital of Texas.
We've got allergens in the air for all seasons..right now fall elm..soon to be followed by ragweed....and there is ALWAYS mold in the air...daily weathercasts have their "allergy forecasts"...Cedar Park was named because of all of the so-called "cedar" trees, which are in fact Junipers, not truly Cedars.
And so on --- it's all true and not the least bit exaggerated. I know many people who suffer severely from one or more allergies, and some who rarely get a break because all year round there are naughty plants mating and sending out vast amounts of pollen, along with the ever-present mold spores mentioned above.

If you tend toward having sinus and allergy problems in general, stay AWAY from central Texas! And that probably applies to a lot of areas north and east of here too. Another place to avoid is the parts of California with high species diversity like the wine country and Sacramento Delta regions --- there's always a gazillion things pollinating almost any time of year and if one doesn't get you then another one will!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2006, 08:37 AM

1,207 posts, read 6,280,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeptrance View Post
And so on --- it's all true and not the least bit exaggerated. I know many people who suffer severely from one or more allergies, and some who rarely get a break because all year round there are naughty plants mating and sending out vast amounts of pollen, along with the ever-present mold spores mentioned above.

If you tend toward having sinus and allergy problems in general, stay AWAY from central Texas! And that probably applies to a lot of areas north and east of here too. Another place to avoid is the parts of California with high species diversity like the wine country and Sacramento Delta regions --- there's always a gazillion things pollinating almost any time of year and if one doesn't get you then another one will!
My husband's so screwed

I told him over and over that he has a chance to acquire the allergies over time and we should carefully consider Austin, but he refused to listen to me *as usual*....I hope he's just the exception! He never had problems in northern Cal, so we'll see.

Old 09-21-2006, 08:44 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
The last report I saw, Austin was no. 3 or 4 in allergey cities, behing Louisville, KY, and Atlanta, GA. Might have been another, but I forget. Anyway, some people get allergies right away, some get them years later, and some never. I have very mild reaction to cedar, mild enough not to think about it. They do have some new pre-season nasal sprays that have done miracles for some co-works. They went from cedar season wrecks to almost NO symptoms. I am sure all treatments work differently for different people, but it is worth looking into the options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin