Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 11:39 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,897,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanwannabe View Post
I can still get my point across in Italian, but it isn't fluent any longer I really have no-one to speak it with so that is a major drawback. I moved to Palermo, because the hospital where I work as a nurse opened a Liver transplant hospital in Palermo (Ever heard of UPMC?). I was chosen as one of the nurses to train the Italian nurses on pre/post liver transplant care in the ICU. So learning Italian was not an option, it was a MUST! Thank God for the translators who worked 24/7 in the hospital! In the beginning it was rough! Most of the nurses could speak broken English (they didn't have a choice in the matter either...they HAD to learn English), but the patients were a whole different story!
Interesting. My cousin got a job 9 years ago in New Zealand as a perfusionist and has never come back(except to visit). She makes fantastic $$$ and living in New Zealand has changed her life...I should have gotten into health-care

BTW Does Pittsburgh still have an authentic Italian population or has it been watered down like everywhere else? Most of my family is from Altoona, and that place had a lot of Italian immigrants working for the railroad back in the middle of the 20th cent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2007, 08:26 PM

791 posts, read 2,222,689 times
Try Austin Community College, Continuing Education - Non Credit courses

ACC Continuing Education Course Schedule (http://www3.austincc.edu/schedule/wcell/celac.htm - broken link)

SPNL 9001 Conversational Spanish I (21.0 hours/$120.00)
An interactive introduction to basic vocabulary and language structures. Promotes speaking and listening skills for personal needs. Requires no knowledge of Spanish. Text required: Open Door to Spanish, Level 1, Madrigal (Lessons 1-10).

Old 09-22-2007, 10:36 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,370,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
Interesting. My cousin got a job 9 years ago in New Zealand as a perfusionist and has never come back(except to visit). She makes fantastic $$$ and living in New Zealand has changed her life...I should have gotten into health-care

BTW Does Pittsburgh still have an authentic Italian population or has it been watered down like everywhere else? Most of my family is from Altoona, and that place had a lot of Italian immigrants working for the railroad back in the middle of the 20th cent.
Yes, absolutely...there is a huge authentic Italian population in Pittsburgh. Most of them came over on the boat! My best friend is 100% Italian and she grew up in South Oakland (where UPMC is located) and the entire street was nothing but Italians. Also Plum where I live now has a huge Italian population. Another friend of mine whose parents also came over on the boat...they only speak Italian in their home. I love going over there to visit! They still make sausage down in the basement and cook their sauces and make their meat balls!! My pizza guy, Luigi, used to live in Sicily (he grew up there and his family ...mom/siblings...all still live there) Anyways, whenever I go into his shop to order a pizza (because it is the best in town), he makes me order it in Italian!! He knew that I lived in Sicily for 1.5 years, so he makes me speak it in his shop!
Yes, healthcare is the way to go...you always have a job! When I move to Austin next Summer, I will be doing a travel nurse position. They will pay my wages (~$30-33 $$/hr) plus they will provide me with a furnished apt and pay my rent in a very nice complex in Austin. Not too bad of a gig, huh?

Old 09-22-2007, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willys View Post
Try Austin Community College, Continuing Education - Non Credit courses

ACC Continuing Education Course Schedule (http://www3.austincc.edu/schedule/wcell/celac.htm - broken link)

SPNL 9001 Conversational Spanish I (21.0 hours/$120.00)
An interactive introduction to basic vocabulary and language structures. Promotes speaking and listening skills for personal needs. Requires no knowledge of Spanish. Text required: Open Door to Spanish, Level 1, Madrigal (Lessons 1-10).

Thanks a bunch! We will most certainly look into that. Very affordable as well

Old 09-22-2007, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanwannabe View Post
Yes, absolutely...there is a huge authentic Italian population in Pittsburgh. Most of them came over on the boat! My best friend is 100% Italian and she grew up in South Oakland (where UPMC is located) and the entire street was nothing but Italians. Also Plum where I live now has a huge Italian population. Another friend of mine whose parents also came over on the boat...they only speak Italian in their home. I love going over there to visit! They still make sausage down in the basement and cook their sauces and make their meat balls!! My pizza guy, Luigi, used to live in Sicily (he grew up there and his family ...mom/siblings...all still live there) Anyways, whenever I go into his shop to order a pizza (because it is the best in town), he makes me order it in Italian!! He knew that I lived in Sicily for 1.5 years, so he makes me speak it in his shop!
That's awesome. Italian would be first on my list if I thought I could use it every day. Spanish is SO much more practical and I'm planning on more trips to Mexico City.

It's funny how the Italian culture is so much more intact in Pittsburgh than in Cleveland(only two hours west). Cleveland has a lot of Italians for sure, but most of them live out in the burbs and don't speak anymore Cleveland's known more for its Eastern European thing(Slavic, Croat, Serb, Hungarian, Czech etc...)

Old 09-23-2007, 11:06 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,370,519 times
I actually plan on learning Spanish as well, after I move to Texas. With my job and the high number of Mexican immigrants living and working in Texas, it would benefit me if I could speak with them in their native tongue. Italian is so close to Spanish, that I can sort of understand what is being said in Spanish.

Old 09-23-2007, 03:18 PM

9 posts, read 28,257 times
You can try this to speed up the process:

Free Translation and Professional Translation Services from SDL International

You can start with small phrases and sentences and work your way up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: