Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 09:20 AM

5,856 posts, read 11,861,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
This isn't always true of course. I would wager that finding cheaply made Chinese furniture at Costco would be rare. Most of the furniture is pretty nice and definitely better than what you would find around town at a Rooms To Go or Roomstore. Sure, normally it won't be Ethan Allen quality, but for the most part it's pretty good.

They only put a small sample of the furniture that they carry inside the stores on a seasonal basis. They have a much wider variety online with the same great return policy. "Costco.com products can be returned to any of our more than 600 Costco warehouses worldwide."

Costco - Furniture & Decor
You're right - "really cheaply made" was probably not what I should have said. I'm sure it's the same quality as most of the stuff you get in furniture stores today. I just have a bias against certain Chinese made products. That's my issue - I shouldn't project that onto Costco's reputation. I will say I've never been disappointed by anything I've purchased there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 06:25 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,554,061 times
For those interested in getting a more inside look at Costco, CNBC has a recent documentary airing about the inner workings of Costco. It's worth setting the DVR if you're interested.

Costco Craze

SHOW TIMES
Monday, June 4th 8:00PM
Sunday, June 17th 8:00PM
Tuesday, June 19th 7:00PM

Old 06-01-2012, 06:43 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,305,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
For those interested in getting a more inside look at Costco, CNBC has a recent documentary airing about the inner workings of Costco. It's worth setting the DVR if you're interested.
From the description:

"This CNBC Original documentary also explores a “Costco Effect,” the routine tendency of its members to succumb to the store’s discount-chic allure and spend more than they expect, often buying more than they need."

Old 06-01-2012, 07:19 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,471,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
From the description:

"This CNBC Original documentary also explores a “Costco Effect,” the routine tendency of its members to succumb to the store’s discount-chic allure and spend more than they expect, often buying more than they need."
Trying to encourage buying?!?!? Say it ain't so!!!

If anything, Costco discourages my overbuying. I might see something I'm interested in; but don't purchase when I'm not interested in committing to a YEAR'S worth of a product at one time!

I feel a little sorry for folks who can't fend off the conspiracy of stores to actually SELL something to the customer. What a ghastly practice!!

Fortunately, Costco does offer some good prices on single items as well as the gigunzo bulk purchases. Years ago, I started buying NSF shelving from them when the only other supplier was the VERY overpriced restaurant supply stores.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:39 AM

150 posts, read 391,344 times
Been a been a member of Price Club (later merge with Costco) since 1985. Costco is good for certain things and not others. You need to know your prices and what bulk cost is. Bought everything there from clothes, veggies, dry goods, drugs, appliances, TVs, computers, cameras, meats, baked goods, etc. HEB is good to pick something up that you need immediately. Costco is a planned trip.

Good luck in your decision!

Old 06-01-2012, 02:02 PM

719 posts, read 2,660,733 times
if you eat a lot of obscure, premium food that is expensive or hard to find at HEB, that too may make up for the cost. i find that the amount of quinoa alone my roommates and i eat makes up for the membership cost

Old 06-02-2012, 11:07 AM

597 posts, read 1,312,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lndigo View Post
if you eat a lot of obscure, premium food that is expensive or hard to find at HEB, that too may make up for the cost. i find that the amount of quinoa alone my roommates and i eat makes up for the membership cost
Sprouts has bulk quinoq pretty cheaply sometimes.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:26 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,971,970 times
We are a family of just two adults who don't eat much food at all, and we have both a Sam's and a Costco membership. Personally, they're just fun places to shop (if you go at a time when the North Costco is NOT crowded!) and see what they might have that you must buy! The memberships are worth the cost for that purpose alone to me.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:10 PM

172 posts, read 408,441 times
Do you really find that wine is much cheaper at Costco? All of the brands that I buy at HEB they have for the same price at Costco. I do like that they have the ratings on many more of the wines though.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:43 PM

658 posts, read 2,000,695 times
I have a Sam's membership I kept over the Costco membership I tried. Sam's has the best ready to eat roasted chickens, I just love them. I also liked the brand name frozen foods at Sam's over the store name frozen foods at Costco. The Sea Pac Shrimp Scampi is WAY better than the Costco Shrimp Scampi. I like being able to pay with my Discover card at Sam's and at Costco it was cash or American Express only. I get a check attached to my Discover card statement so everything goes on my Discover for the free money (never carry a balance for this to be free money).

Having said all this I am considering a Costco membership just for the food court. We eat over there quite often when my Sister makes a Costco run, the prices are dirt cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: