Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2012, 10:40 AM

4 posts, read 10,317 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am moving to Falconhead in July and was wondering if anyone had experice/advice concerning:
1. Cable (satellite, cable, etc)
2. Electricity vendors in this neighborhood.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 11:04 AM

64 posts, read 131,697 times
Most people will have Time Warner Cable but I do know a few with AT&T

Old 06-01-2012, 11:13 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
I have AT&T U-verse for internet and Directv for TV. Electric is Austin Energy, no choice there.

Old 06-30-2012, 04:07 PM

136 posts, read 328,589 times
You will see horrible reviews online for Time Warner... BUT, in Falconhead (and the area's newer developments), Time Warner is the one to go with, in my opinion. I lived in Falconhead for 5 years, and only had one inexplicable outage for cable & internet. The other few were all weather related.

I'm convinced that most of those bad reviews for Time Warner are due to their infrastructure in older areas of town. For example, when I lived in Lakeway, Time Warner was abysmal due to them not upgrading what they bought from the previous cable provider there. It was so bad, that I switched to DirecTV (before moving out of state.)

I personally don't like dealing with AT&T - though I did have my phone service through them, rather than cable.

Oh... and one more thing... if you're in the original part of Falconhead, watch your propane bill like a hawk. I can't speak for the propane provider in the "new" section of Falconhead.

Old 06-30-2012, 04:32 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
I'm one that will give you horrible reviews for Time Warner. We have them for internet, but only because my husband's company pays for it. And I have still considered getting rid of them. To what Tonyg5003 said, one of the Time Warner folks who came out here to fix a problem one time (I'm in Steiner) told me that the outlying, high growth areas (like Falconhead and Steiner) have horrible service because rather than actually creating new infrastructure like they should, Time Warner just keeps tying in to the old, existing one it has out here. And the old existing one was never intended to handle that kind of traffic. He said it was like overloading an electrical circuit - if you do that, the breaker is going to keep getting tripped. He said it was the technicians' biggest frustration. Now if a Time Warner person is telling me it's bad, then it must not be too great. Also, every time I call, I stay on hold FOREVER. It's ridiculous. Oh, and they were supposed to come out here and bury a cable for us 3 months ago and still haven't shown up. Critters keep chewing it, and their solution in the past has been to put electrical tape over the chewed parts. I guess after getting called out here all the time by us and our neighbors, they decided to bury it (after only a few years). Now just to get them to show up.

We have DirecTV for television and have been happy with them. We have also had Dish Network and been happy as well.

And you don't have a choice about electricity (unfortunately).

Old 06-30-2012, 05:47 PM

136 posts, read 328,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
Now if a Time Warner person is telling me it's bad, then it must not be too great. Also, every time I call, I stay on hold FOREVER. It's ridiculous. Oh, and they were supposed to come out here and bury a cable for us 3 months ago and still haven't shown up.
Yes... I agree with THAT. While I never experienced any problems in Falconhead, I did have major cable issues in Flintrock Falls. There too, as with older Lakeway, the Time Warner tech guys complained about the network - so I can confirm similar conversations. (My main issue was the internet speeds varying wildly.) And at my last Austin home in Flintrock, I had 7 visits from techs - within only a 4.5 month span - that was last winter/spring. It was frustrating that none of the techs were aware of the recurring problems - that is until I had connected with a "good" one who took the problem to management. But, even with my "direct line" to those folks, they still couldn't cure the problem - and then I moved to Seattle.

Unfortunately, AT&T U-Verse wasn't an option in Flintrock Falls. All I know, is I hate dealing with AT&T - other than for wireless.

In any event, I think Falconhead is on a different (and newer) "node" than Lakeway and Flintrock. But perhaps with the addition of Falconhead West, it's gotten worse. I haven't lived in Falconhead since Aug. 2010.

LOL... and as far as burying the cable (new construction) - after numerous calls over a year, I finally just buried the thing myself. Unfortunately, the buyer of my home immediately chopped right into it doing basic yard work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin