Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2012, 03:00 PM

3 posts, read 5,574 times

Advertisements

My husband will be going to Scott & White (Temple TX) for a medical fellowship. We currently live in Fort Worth (eagle mountain Saginaw isd). I have been searching the schools vs. his commute time. I do not want my kids in Temple isd just from the ratings I've seen. So I am seeking advice on Salado because it's the quickest commute for my husband. My kids are 4th grade, 3rd grade (mainstreamed) & 1st (special Ed). It's nice that the schools are small for a better student-teacher ratio but will my kids feel left out as newcomers? I also have two children with autism (one non verbal and one who is mainstreamed but has behavior issues/ADHD), will Salado have the resources? Georgetown is a longer commute but when I looked at Cedar Park/Leander ISD, its almost the same as Georgetown. The schools seem better in Leander isd. I feel bad for hubby driving but i really need good school especially for special needs. Our current school is ok, it's Exemplary, and it's the best in this district but it doesn't match up to Keller, Colleyville, which is what we should have chosen. When we moved here we should have rented/tested out first before buying. So I don't want to make that mistake again. Even though it will only be for three yrs we want to be able to resell when he's done with fellowship. My husbands commute to work now is 13-20 minutes compared to Keller which would have been hell on 35north. He gets to come home for lunch sometimes and eat with the kids at school. So it's a give & take. Some teachers are good and some are lazy. We've had both & i know that varies school to school even in the best areas. I know TAKS scores are more of a school economic environment kind of thing & unfortunately there are 2-3 months where the kids practice TAKS and leave science/social studies to the side. It's not only TX. In this school I also noticed after we moved, on greatschools.com, which is my #1 source now, that there is 35% economically disadvantaged. I don't mind some but that was too high & you could tell with some of the parents & students.
Anyway these are my criteria: (not really in order of importance)
1. Commute time
2. Schools with strong academics & strong special Ed program
3. We would probably buy if we can sell our current home but we need to seriously downgrade with my hubbys fellowship salary. Homes priced $180,000-$250,000.
4. Prefer new home with at least 4 bedrooms.
5. I like to see cows & horses which is like where we are now. Developments but still some farms.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 03:31 PM

172 posts, read 564,003 times
I grew up in Temple & graduated from THS, so it's really sad to see those school ratings. I have several friends who still live there and have chosen to stay in TISD. Apparently, THS has a very good baccalaureate program which has enticed them to continue w/Temple schools.
Have you considered Belton? I also have several friends who made the big move from Temple to Belton for the schools. It's smaller than Temple (although growing) and I've heard good feedback about the schools. Don't know much about Salado, but I'd probably go a bit further to Georgetown instead. There's also several private schools in Temple that have good reputations - Holy Trinity & Central Texas Christian Schools are worth checking out.
Good luck w/your move - S&W has grown leaps & bounds since my Temple days.

Old 06-01-2012, 04:51 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,693,254 times
I'd never been to Belton before until last weekend. We were there to go to the Lake and we passed several nice looking neighborhoods that were close to the Elementary school. It looks like a nice town, cleaner looking than Temple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin