Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 03:56 PM

75 posts, read 282,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair44 View Post
Unless your intent is to bargain down the monthly payment, why would you want to drop that much cash up front?
I wouldn't do that, it's just not monetarily wise! You should figure out first if they have any way to run a credit check or other forms of verification for internationals...I'm sure there are means of accomplishing such a thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 05:14 PM

653 posts, read 1,793,881 times
With rents going up, house prices are going down (at least in my neighborhood).

It is such, that I can rent my house out for enough to cover the full payment.
However, someone could buy my house, and would get a slightly lower interest rate than I got, leading to a lower payment than I have (assuming same down payment and a similar 15 year loan).
So basically, if one has the down payment, and plans to stay long enough to make it pay off, buying is cheaper than renting.

I haven't been here long enough to make having bought pay off. I planned to stay longer.
I had no idea the company would do a significant down sizing this year, and offer me such a good early retirement package.

If I sell right now, I do at a loss.
If I rent my house out, I can continue to just make the payments (of which about half is equity).

Old 06-19-2012, 05:51 PM

399 posts, read 1,802,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eileenkeeney View Post
With rents going up, house prices are going down (at least in my neighborhood).
Which part of Austin is that?

Old 05-22-2014, 12:58 PM

404 posts, read 712,000 times
so i just checked... its been +23% in 4 years at the first place I lived at

my current place is offering a lease that has gone up +10% since we signed in august 2011

i just looked at the rents in LA and San Diego and they seem comparable

Austin is freakin expensive... and no matter how much 'inventory' they build, its not going to keep up with the 170ppl that move here everyday

having seen downtown change so much in the last few years, its one big overpriced clusterf**k. but we live 18 miles north of downtown, off parmer. and all that beautiful open space is going to be developed soon.

definitely looking for a solution. i'd like to leave but i can't because of work

Old 05-22-2014, 01:20 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredding_Gnar78 View Post
so i just checked... its been +23% in 4 years at the first place I lived at

my current place is offering a lease that has gone up +10% since we signed in august 2011

i just looked at the rents in LA and San Diego and they seem comparable

Austin is freakin expensive... and no matter how much 'inventory' they build, its not going to keep up with the 170ppl that move here everyday

having seen downtown change so much in the last few years, its one big overpriced clusterf**k. but we live 18 miles north of downtown, off parmer. and all that beautiful open space is going to be developed soon.

definitely looking for a solution. i'd like to leave but i can't because of work
Prices will continue to go up because people can get the money for them.
As long as Austin remains on the top 10 "hot cities" people will continue to come here and pay higher prices.

I convinced my son to do the Blinn/A&M route over the ACC/UT route and so he moved to College Station 2 years ago. He works to pay his rent/utilities/food/spending. His rent is $600 for a nice complex with a workout room/pool/BBQ area and cable/internet included. He just renewed his lease with no increase.
It's a one bedroom on the A&M bus line. He gave up his truck when he moved and is able to either walk or take the bus everywhere.

So glad I convinced him to move. I figured he couldn't make it on his own if he stayed in the Austin area.

Old 05-22-2014, 01:32 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,374,893 times
The Blinn-A&M path is a much better choice with a lot closer coordination--you directed him well.

Old 05-22-2014, 04:16 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpurcell View Post
The Blinn-A&M path is a much better choice with a lot closer coordination--you directed him well.
And College Station is quite the nice city. Busy during the school year but not overly so.
The town was layed out very nicely with the main shopping along University or Texas Ave.
Lots of nice mom & pop eateries and all the big name stores are there.

I go down there every other week to do my food shopping (HEB fan here) and there's always somewhere new to go for lunch. My son has found so many unique one of a kind places that are cheap and good.
One benefit of BCS being a college town above all is that prices remain pretty low and stable.

He broke his hand last year and we got to go through the Scott & White health system there and I was pretty impressed with the facilities and staff.
A 10am appointment really happened at 10am

Old 05-22-2014, 04:42 PM

404 posts, read 712,000 times
blogs.marketwatch.com/capitolreport/2014/05/22/texas-dominates-ranks-of-fastest-growing-cities/

The Census Bureau released Thursday data on population growth by cities, and three located near Austin, Texas, were among the fastest growing of cities with populations over 50,000. San Marcos, Cedar Park and Georgetown all were in the top 10, and Austin itself gained more people — 21,000 — of cities with less than 1 million residents.

Old 06-13-2014, 02:20 PM

3 posts, read 3,165 times
I pay $510 a month for a 2 bed/ 2 bath plus utilities in College Station, TX. Great place, furnished, new furniture and laminate floors.

Old 06-13-2014, 02:25 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlaku95 View Post
I pay $510 a month for a 2 bed/ 2 bath plus utilities in College Station, TX. Great place, furnished, new furniture and laminate floors.
Heck of a commute to Austin, though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin