Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 11:47 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times

Advertisements

next time someone asks about the bugs, we need to remember the swarming flying beetles and crickets.

I was at a gas station at night between houston and austin. When I got out of the car the ground was carpeted with beetles. I couldnt take a step without crunching them. The worst thing is they fly and get in your hair.

while I was pumping gas, a girl drove up. She got out of her car, saw the beetles, screamed and got back in her car. I ended up pumping her gas for her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 06:23 AM

597 posts, read 1,316,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.JT View Post
Funny story....

Last night, I went to Target around 9:30. As I approached the parking lot, I thought Target may have closed early because the parking lot was pitch black. Nope. It was open. Something went wrong with the parking lot lights. I parked and headed to the store. On my way there, I felt something against my leg. Silly me thought the wind (there was no wind) must've blown a piece of paper or something up against my leg. I looked down, and I faintly saw the shadow of a cricket. The parking lot wasn't lit, so I wasn't sure. I mildly panicked, but I went about my way.

On my way out of the store, the power to the parking lot lights was restored. To my horror, the parking lot was FILLED with crickets. I could barely take a step without stepping on one. I looked like a deranged fool screaming and hopping back to my vehicle. That's when it dawned on me...little did I know, allllllllll those crickets were probably there on my way INTO the store, but since there was no light, I had no idea. Ignorance truly is bliss at times.
Was it a Target in Pflugerville? I've seen them inside that store too. I've lived here for years and this is the first summer I've seen this and it was way dryer last year.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:03 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
next time someone asks about the bugs, we need to remember the swarming flying beetles and crickets.

I was at a gas station at night between houston and austin. When I got out of the car the ground was carpeted with beetles. I couldnt take a step without crunching them. The worst thing is they fly and get in your hair.

while I was pumping gas, a girl drove up. She got out of her car, saw the beetles, screamed and got back in her car. I ended up pumping her gas for her.
Are you talking about June Bugs?

Old 06-16-2012, 05:56 AM

176 posts, read 350,479 times
Last summer we had no crickets at all, due to the drought.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:17 AM

554 posts, read 1,745,782 times
Just found 3 live crickets in the kitchen sink at work (central) and one in the bathroom, yuck

Old 06-18-2012, 10:55 AM

2,185 posts, read 6,432,372 times
Anyone know when they retreat? I think it only lasts a month or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin