Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 12:23 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,288,602 times

Advertisements

now i'm thinking i'm really missing something here...

The Top 10 Green Cities in the U.S.: 2006 (http://www.thegreenguide.com/doc/113/top10cities - broken link)

though i would love to think denver is truly one of the most green and healthy cities in the country, i have to say i am very, very surprised. it may have some nice bike paths, a decent recycle program, and lots of people that love to go jogging, but

1) it seems VERY much about driving for hours into the mountains and through the forests and to the grocery store down the street for a jug of milk, i.e., car - no, SUV - culture, despite having good buses available

2) the light rail is very limited and will be for years, maybe a decade or more to come

3) it is very, very suburbanized/decentralized and low density populated all around denver proper (maybe therein lies the confusion - the poll's not for metros? ... which would be pretty silly it seems to me)

4) it seems to me, at least, like a VERY consumerist population in the metro area

5) not long ago, it was an oil town, and it seems a bit like it

6) the air quality is actually rather poor: there is often a very impressive brown cloud hanging over the city as a result of the above and the abundant sunshine and occasional inversion...

and take a look at this (admittedly many places don't do so well here, as you'll see):

About Your Community (http://www.scorecard.org/community/index.tcl?zip_code=80203&set_community_zipcode_coo kie_p=t - broken link)

what am i missing here?

Last edited by hello-world; 09-25-2007 at 12:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 02:43 PM

264 posts, read 1,094,236 times
Default Very interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
Just enough variety on that list to make sure realtor.com can sell regional advertising anywhere in the country.

That list carries about as much water as those subdivision reviews in the Sunday paper that are written by the developers.
I absolutely agree with you.
Also, the link cited regarding pollution (by hello-world) is very interesting! The data for Williamson county is incredible (bad)!
About Your Community (http://www.scorecard.org/community/index.tcl?zip_code=78681&set_community_zipcode_coo kie_p=t - broken link)
I also looked at King county, where Seattle is, and they say the same thing about air quality though (top 10% worst counties!)...
But the thing that called my attention the most, I know Austin is not Williamson County (mostly), but still, close enough, is that there is no air quality monitoring here!! Is that true? Is it the same case for Travis Co?

Old 09-26-2007, 03:01 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,694,805 times
Yep, you DEFINITELY can find a lot of that green in Austin!

Old 09-26-2007, 03:06 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,688,656 times
What I can't figure out is, where are all the pollutants in Williamson county coming from? There isn't any heavy industry here. Could it be the farming pesticides (my best guess)

Old 09-26-2007, 03:06 PM

It is all about the green$$$ everywhere, isn't it?

Old 09-27-2007, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
What I can't figure out is, where are all the pollutants in Williamson county coming from? There isn't any heavy industry here. Could it be the farming pesticides (my best guess)
is there much traffic?

is your water treatment as effective as it could be?

are building standards effective in this way (containing site runoff, energy efficient, recycling)?

how is energy produced, and is it a source of pollution?

are there landfills?

other sources of particulates such as open burning of things?

are there lots of farms with animal "waste" leaching into streams, soil, etc. or tile draining pesticides and nutrients as you suggest?

is there high technology, so maybe waste from technology production (dell, e.g.)? could some of it be "secret"/defense oriented, so not discussed, but detected?

Last edited by hello-world; 09-27-2007 at 09:14 AM..

Old 09-27-2007, 12:35 PM

The link provided in my previous posting (initially given by another member, but for Travis Co), you can find a list of the 10 worst pollutants of the County. And yes, Dell is one of them according to the site.

Old 09-27-2007, 03:12 PM

Thanks for the list of questions

Old 09-27-2007, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
Thanks for the list of questions
don't live there and don't plan on it! so don't know. but i can only guess many of those questions might be read as answers?

i gotta say, this guy has a bad attitude.

this one too probably

Old 09-27-2007, 08:19 PM

There has to be tons of counties in Texas with similar pollution problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: