Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2012, 05:52 PM

2 posts, read 3,291 times

Advertisements

Moving to Austin and looking for an affordable place for 1 person in North Austin - let's say, <$700/month. All the online ratings I've seen for apartments are awful - regardless of whether they're $500/month or $900/month! Doesn't ANYONE in Austin like where they're living?? Is it POSSIBLE to find a nice, clean apartment that actually feels like home and doesn't stink of second hand smoke, have bugs, etc. etc.???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 06:36 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,101,771 times
YES!

Remember only unhappy people are motivated enough to go on-line and complain! And some of them are just plain nuts. On-line rankings of apartments are pretty useless.

Get a good apartment locator and you'll be fine.

Old 06-15-2012, 01:34 AM

2 posts, read 3,291 times
Any specific rec's on properties and/or locators?

Old 06-15-2012, 01:37 AM

1,289 posts, read 3,035,624 times
I no longer live in an apartment in North Austin, but I did for decades...different ones...and they all pretty much sucked. None are good. From rats, to bed bugs, to noisy neighbors, car break ins, no insulation, smoke, bad maintenance, yeah all that and more. I would rather be homeless to tell you the truth, at least there I'd get some peace.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:46 AM

207 posts, read 463,641 times
I live in the Renaissance at North Bend which is near the intersection of Parmer/Metric and has 1 bedrooms supposedly available for $715. It may be a bit more North than you wanted but I rather enjoy the place. I actually liked it enough that after living on the East Coast for four years I moved back into an apartment here! My neighbor did a similar thing and agrees that it is one of the best, if not the best, apartment complexes she's lived in.

The grounds are kept in good condition, they have regular pest control treatments, the apartment was clean (smelled of new carpet and paint) when I moved in, maintenance is snappy, and the walls are not paper thin. Yes you can hear neighbors if they are stomping or hear waster rushing if they are showering, but that's just an apartment fact of life. The only quibbles I can see is that parking can be a bit of a bear because they converted the closest spots into reserved spots/garages (so often you'll have to walk a ways at night) and that there needs to be an extra garbage dumpster and recycling drop off placed somewhere as what they have now they can get a bit full over the weekends. The pool and gym are pretty nice too (but they are sticklers about the wristbands showing you are a resident). There's a park within walking distance with a path that connects to Walnut Creek.

I'm not too demanding though. Walls, ceiling, kitchen, internet access, A/C, and generally being left alone are pretty much my major concerns.

Old 06-16-2012, 12:30 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,773,995 times
I'm very happy with my apartment, and it's the only one I've lived in in Austin. Small complex, simple and older but clean and in good shape, and can't complain about mgmt or maintenance. Plus the area around me is hoppin' - new development, a fantastic new food trailer park, and Wheatsville Co-op #2 next year!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin