Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 12:03 PM

499 posts, read 1,305,879 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the explanation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
This isn't being considered, is it? Just a small wire at the top of a pole connecting two already-existing wires?
Based on the map in the article, I assumed some places--like parts of Mesa where there are only light poles and buried wires--would have new wires strung between the poles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 12:06 PM

3,787 posts, read 6,997,228 times
Thank you balor123. We appreciated the time you took with your explanation. I was not raised in a home where ALL religions were taught. Quite the opposite. It wasn't ok to even talk about other religions. Times have changed for sure. I think it's important to learn about each one. To be better informed is never a bad thing in my opinion.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:07 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
Quote:
The problem with much of the opposition
As for this particular item, I haven't seen any opposition.

Sorry, oldtoilets, I (incorrectly) inferred you were looking for the short answer .

Although Wiki is not the end-all/be-all, it does have this statement that I suspect is true:
Quote:
The definition of public and private domain is related to its relative amount of enclosures, not on strict ownership. It should be noted that this is a particularly complex area of law, as the legal definitions of private and public domains are intricate, although clear. Background knowledge, and definitions, of domain types must be understood before one can fully understand the laws of transference in this context. This law is often referred to as carrying. This is a misnomer. Carrying within a domain type is perfectly permitted. It's the transference between domain types that is considered a creative activity for the purposes of Sabbath observance.
The 'full' orthodox Jew has an incredible (imho) number of requirements, and only a few of them am I aware of or have any knowledge of. This whole eruv thing is news to me .

I gather that there will not really be any new wires suspended between poles, simply ones across the top of each pole that is not a continuous wire. Ofc, I could be wrong, but that is what I gathered from the article's statement:
Quote:
"In other spots where the wires do not cross the top of the poles, there will need to be an arch or wire attached that crosses the top of the pole."

Old 06-15-2012, 12:43 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
Thank you balor123. We appreciated the time you took with your explanation. I was not raised in a home where ALL religions were taught. Quite the opposite. It wasn't ok to even talk about other religions. Times have changed for sure. I think it's important to learn about each one. To be better informed is never a bad thing in my opinion.
FWIW, the upbringing that I'm speaking of occurred in the 1950's in East Texas. Times have changed, but this was in the Olden Days.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:47 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
Funny, I remember the Methodist, Catholic, and Baptist ministers/priest all getting along quite dandy in G'town Texas back in the day. They literally fished together, IIRC. They were also all sports fans. OTOH, I don't remember the non-Christian religions having any overt presence in G'town, although I am sure they were there. Jehovah's Witness' were about as 'out there' as there was, at least visibly.

Old 06-15-2012, 01:18 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,735,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
Interesting. Curious, what is the percentage of Austin population that is Jewish?
OD
I'm not sure what percentage. I do know that that I read somewhere in Git Nu that Austin had the 2nd fastest growing Jewish population in the South, behind Atlanta.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:53 PM

709 posts, read 1,400,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visceral View Post
Not a fan of any kind of recognition on that level of any religion. Seems not so good for people not of that faith and just drives home the perceived "exclusivity" of their faith. Can you imagine the uproar over a Christian or Muslim area being set aside for such things? No sir, not a fan.
Given that one of the 4 original Austin parks was paved over and on it a massive Baptist church that takes up the entire block was constructed, I can hardly see cause to complain about a wire connecting a couple utility poles.

Old 06-15-2012, 06:06 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Which park was that, BevoLJ?

Old 06-15-2012, 06:59 PM

709 posts, read 1,400,836 times
The one at Trinity and 10th St where the First Baptist Church now sits. 30.27022,-97.737572 - Google Maps

Originally there were 4 parks in Austin in the plan Waller made. Two 4 blocks east of Congress and two 4 blocks west of Congress on 5th and 10th Streets. The two to the west are Republic Sq Park on 5th and Wooldridge Sq Park on 10th. Both of which are still very nice parks today. To the East is Brush Sq Park 5th which has the historic firehouse and O. Henry Museum built on it on the 5th street side and parking for the old firehouse and some open park space on the 4th street side by the convention center. And then the First Baptist Church on the 10th street sq that I linked in Google above.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:16 AM

954 posts, read 1,549,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnFiya View Post
I'm not sure what percentage. I do know that that I read somewhere in Git Nu that Austin had the 2nd fastest growing Jewish population in the South, behind Atlanta.
Jews compose only about 2% of the national population and it's highly concentrated in the NorthEast with
fully about a third of it in the NYC metro area, so Austin Jewish population is probably negligible, possibly not even 10 K. However their wealth and influence are remarkable given their small number: > 10 % of the US Senate is Jewish, 1/3 of the Supreme Court is Jewish, and probably a third or more of this countrys billionaires are Jews. Pretty impressive, huh ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin