Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 01:41 PM

33 posts, read 70,356 times

Advertisements

I need to find a high quality pre-school for my 4 yo daughter in Austin. I will be working downtown but am not sure where I'll be living. The location of a good school may dictate where I live to be close to that and work. Close meaning maybe get to the school and then to work in 30 minutes or less.

Thanks!

Joel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 11:35 AM

319 posts, read 737,008 times
We have been highly satisfied with St. Matthew's Episcopal Day School in the Northwest Hills area. We live near downtown also. Cant say enough.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:17 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,903,948 times
St David episcopal, child's day, all
Saints episcopal, first English Lutheran , primavera montessori

Old 06-18-2012, 09:08 PM

33 posts, read 70,356 times
primavera montessori is full for the Fall :-( Thanks for the suggestions so far. I was hoping more people would reply.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:36 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,627,381 times
There are a lot of high quality preschools, depending on you definition. Do you want parochial or non-parochial? Is cost a factor? Without SOME geography limits, you could run into potential hundreds of schools, many of which would not have a 'representative' on C-D.

In general, if you want a professionally run place with specific accreditation, then the chains are all generally good - Primrose, Children's Courtyard, and Bright Horizons are all national chains and although there are probably a few disgruntled parents for each, I personally know pretty particular people that are happy at each of those in at least one of their locations in Austin. These are all pretty much non-religious (by policy), so you may find a wider variety of kids there. I have heard some good things about the Stepping Stone school near us, but don't know anyone there and we did not visit it, so can't really say.

On the other side, the parochial schools tend to be cheaper (60-75% of the cost, I would estimate) and can be excellent, as well. I can't think of the name of it (maybe Abiding Love?), but I know the Lutheran daycare down the street got rave reviews from the one person I know that went there.

Really can't help you much, though, on specifics. Have you thought about whether you want the daycare close to work (easy to get to if they get sick) or close to home (minimize time in the car for the kids)?

Old 06-19-2012, 08:15 AM

319 posts, read 737,008 times
Agree it depends on what you are looking for...

What do you mean by "quality"? If you mean private Pre-K to K programs that feed the "better" private schools in Austin, then I still say that the Episcopal preschools (I am not Episcopal by the way) - St. David, Good Shepherd, St. Matthew's, etc. are some of the "best". All this is relative. They are also the most expensive and difficult to get into...in our experience any way.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:54 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,098,988 times
St. Francis School has a well-regarded pre-K program for 3 and 4 year olds. Not sure if there is space and only runs during the school year. Open Door Central is very close to downtown, NAEYC accredited, and high quality. They also have two eastside locations.

First English is good.
Many places are going to be full for the fall -- although finding care for a 4 year old without much notice is much easier than doing it for a 12 month old!

good luck

Old 06-19-2012, 01:12 PM

87 posts, read 376,220 times
Default Preschool

Both of my kids attended The Corner School from the time they were 6 weeks old. The Corner School was formerly only for the employees of the Texas Association of School Boards, but now accepts kids from the community.

It is a fabulous school - accredited, well-run, well-staffed, well-supplied. I can't say enough great things about it! Unfortunately, I no longer have any idea about costs or availability since my kids are gone.

You can find out more here: TASB Tour of Child Care: The Corner School

Old 06-21-2012, 08:07 AM

101 posts, read 218,920 times
what are you looking for in a preschool? thats the key question. do you want full learning which will mean a private school environment, some learning likely to be a montessori or structured play with a small amount of learning - most of the parochial schools we have seen. we have a 3 year old and we wanted a full academic offering including languages which most of the schools mentioned dont offer at his age but which some schools do offer.

i think if you can decide how much academics you want that will be important and then try and find a school with space.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:55 AM

73 posts, read 241,912 times
1. The Pre-K 2 (Ms. Maria's room) in Children's Courtyard @ William Cannons is very good. Kids love and listen to Ms. Maria, and they learn a lot from Ms. Maria's class.

2. Lake Hill Montessori (in 78733) may have openings in Fall. They are gonna open a new primary room (age 3-6) in this Fall.

3. The Child's Day is nice too and close to downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: