Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 12:54 PM

1,035 posts, read 4,451,209 times

Advertisements

2007 District 25-5A Standings
Won Lost
Westlake 13 1
Bowie 10 4
Anderson 8 6
Austin 8 6
Seguin 7 7
Bastrop 4 10
San Marcos 4 10
Akin 2 12
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 10:22 PM

42 posts, read 157,681 times
Granted it's not in Austin proper but Dripping Springs is a good school too!

Old 09-29-2007, 11:15 AM

6,330 posts, read 17,982,821 times
Quote:
In my opinion...Westlake is just too big.
I have a 9th grade at Westlake. It may seem counterintuitive, but to her, Westlake is not that big. It's so so big it's not big, if that makes any sense. Or as she put it one day when we were discussing whether there are any "popular" kids or not, she exclaimed "Dad, Westlake is too big for anyone to know everyone, so there or not any "most popular" kids". That made sense to me.

She has her lunch crowd of friends and they eat in the same spot with each other every day, just like she did at her small private school. It's big as in "crowded" when walking through the halls, but her social life really isn't any different than it was in her 8th grade class of 25 students.

So far I'm very impressed with WHS and all but one of the teachers. It's very professionally run, more like a small private college in my opinion than a public school.
Steve

Old 12-02-2007, 09:59 AM

2 posts, read 9,248 times
Default Relocating

My husband and I are looking to relocate from Ma. to Travis county area. Our youngest son who is 14 will be in the 9Th grade and we are trying to find a school that fits his special needs plus has a athletic program. His needs are ADHD, reading retention disorder, and dyslexia. He is in classes now, but gets pulled out for support if needed. West Lake seemed so big compared to our Island school system. I was looking into private schools with a good sports program as well. This kid lives to play baseball!! any suggestions as to finding a starting point? Its very overwhelming looking for a new school. Thank you!

Old 12-02-2007, 10:10 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,618,356 times
MVmom my son has ADHD also (severe combo type) and we are in Leander ISD and I have been very very happy with the support that they have given him in all subjects. I would be weary of the private schools unless they are for ADHD because from what I found around here if you have a problem at a private school they may or may not help. Its up to them to decide howmuch they are willing to do for you. When we moved here I talked to some lady at Special services for Leander ISD and some other schoole systems around here and I felt really comfortable talking to them and she did not seem to spacey and seemed like right off the bat she was ready for him and all the gifts he has to offer... anyway if you want to DM me feel free to hard to move when there are issues at hand.

Old 12-02-2007, 10:20 AM

2 posts, read 9,248 times
Default relocating

I don't know what DM means. I am very new to this post. What were your experiences with both private and public and which did you decide on and why?

Old 12-02-2007, 10:22 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,618,356 times
Dm is direct message, click on my name and you can send me a direct message I just sent one to you so if you look in your right hand top of you page you will see welcome MVMom then under that click on messages to look at one

Old 12-09-2007, 04:59 PM

3 posts, read 10,058 times
Westwood by a long shot. No better coach than Bart Bratcher.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:36 AM

7 posts, read 30,704 times
Hi MV mom-this is late in the game but have you looked into Rawson-Saunders? It's pricey but they focus on dyslexia-I've heard good things about it.

Best of luck!

Old 04-09-2008, 10:50 AM

11 posts, read 36,164 times
If you're looking for public, the Liberal Arts and Science Academy at LBJ is EXCELLENT. There are a lot of fantastic dedicated teachers there, and the students have to apply to this magnet school, so they want to be there.

[url=http://www.austinisd.org/schools/website.phtml?id=007]Austin Independent School District : Schools[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: