Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 07:00 AM

40 posts, read 149,149 times

Advertisements

we are currently considering moving to Austin. But I must warn you - I was born in California (Cringe!) -- grew up mostly & reside in CHarlotte, nc though..

Austin seems like a laid back music & arts friendly town.. Something Charlotte lacks.
My Fiancé & I are looking for a more laid back but event oriented town. We love music and shows.. I'm am musician (experimental, electronic stuff) & graphic designer. Me Lady is in hospitality/writing. Would Austin be a fit for us?
Can you recommend any other towns?

thanks!

Old 09-27-2007, 07:15 AM

99 posts, read 485,834 times
Definitely not a warm-weather town but for some reason Minneapolis came to mind after reading your post. Good music and art scene (Guthrie, Loring Theater, Walker Art Center), good tech town/graphic design (Target headquarters gives a lot of business), nice size downtown for hospitality, plenty of events in and around Minneapolis/St. Paul, and lots of lakes to relax next to. Wages are higher than Austin (at least in the tech sector) and housing about the same--they do have state income tax though.

We lived there for 10 years and liked everything except the long winters. If you can get over those, or even embrace the change in climate, it could be a nice fit for you.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:31 AM

Interesting - we'll have to check it out!! thanks.!
The only think I would miss would be the ocean.

Living in charlotte, as we do now - we can easily plan a weekend trip that way, so thanks again for the advice.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:43 AM

264 posts, read 1,094,387 times
Austin Texan, wow! how much anger and bad feelings in your letters. Not good. Not good at all. Remember, we are all just U.S.Americans, as in one country that belongs to all, no matter where you come from your ARE an citizen already and therefore should be treated with respect. If we cannot move freely inside our country without being labeled with all the things we have to say about californians, bostonians, newyorkers, seattlelites... then, what can we expect of the rest of the world? We start right here, on our house and then try to spread tolerance and peace to the rest, not the other way around.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:48 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,062,322 times
Wow, so hateful.

I seriously hope a moderator deletes this, because it doesn't make Austin (or the people in it) look very good.

Switch "Californians" for any ethnic minority... and you have an uproar. This is similar. Judging someone because of where they currently live... talk about simpleminded.

Perpetuating hate, in any form, is disgusting.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:56 AM

445 posts, read 1,810,187 times
I agree Jenbar!!!!! To say "Californians" are the root of all evil is CRAP!!! I am a native californian, one of the few here (as one stated people from california are not even usuaully from here) and i am not a crappy person.....

Funny i live in a small town (temecula) 21 years this year, and no it is definatley not what it was 20 years ago, maybe like Austin, BUT change happens everywhere. We all want for other things, better lives and places to raise our kids, that should not be something that is negative!! Whether you are from california or anywhere else...

You seem very angry, hopefully you can get past it, and move forward in your life...put your energy into something else rather than being ugly and negative of this forum....

Old 09-27-2007, 07:59 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,062,322 times
I have to say, the Austin "vibe" isn't presented very well on this forum, and it's not like I have experienced on a day to day basis.

We, here on CD, have a lot of hate mongering and bashing of suburbs, California, and the people who live in both, chain stores etc.

It makes it seem like Austinites are nasty, angry people. I haven't met ANYONE like this in real life, in this area. It's kind of sad.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:00 AM

i like nice people

love&light

Old 09-27-2007, 08:03 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,148,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
Wow, so hateful.

I seriously hope a moderator deletes this, because it doesn't make Austin (or the people in it) look very good.

Switch "Californians" for any ethnic minority... and you have an uproar. This is similar. Judging someone because of where they currently live... talk about simpleminded.

Perpetuating hate, in any form, is disgusting.
The thing is...for everyone with the nerve to say what the OP said, there's probably 100 people in Austin thinking the same thing.

I caught carp in Austin when I lived there because I'm from Dallas. I was an outsider too. I was mostly acceptable, though, because I'm at least from Texas. What the OP said is nothing I haven't heard before...A LOT...from other Austinites. It's a very common viewpoint...much more common than a lot of people realize.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:04 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,333,088 times
Yes, this thread is totally inappropriate and the OP is definitely trolling, which is not allowed here (hint: read the rules!). I am not deleting this thread but am closing it. The replies the OP received shows the true class of the members here (and I bet a few of them are even from California ).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin