Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 12:44 PM

1 posts, read 7,311 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move to a city that is progressive/liberal, has good art & music scene, and not really expensive. Many cities that have those qualities are out of my price range.

Being a single woman who would like a relationship, having more men than women in a city also may make dating a bit easier.

It looks like Austin has those qualities but how is this city in terms of available men in their late 20's/30's? I am 32 and rather not date a guy in his early 20's.

I appreciate any feedback on Austin or if other cities may be better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 03:39 PM

47 posts, read 73,877 times
You should be fine here, but If you were late 30's I might say no.

Join some social groups when you get here and live in an area that is more likely to have younger singles than families.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:42 PM

293 posts, read 730,344 times
You'll have the pick of the litter for menfolk in that age range, Austin is a sausage fest.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:43 AM

2,132 posts, read 2,225,572 times
Wow, that graph is something! I left Austin about ten years ago, when I was in my early 40's, because it seemed like everyone was 28. And I was right!

Old 07-01-2012, 12:49 AM

288 posts, read 717,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spelrod View Post
You'll have the pick of the litter for menfolk in that age range, Austin is a sausage fest.
Where can I view this graph? I would to view other cities as well. Thanks.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:11 AM

293 posts, read 730,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnTraveler View Post
Where can I view this graph? I would to view other cities as well. Thanks.
I got it from a site called //www.city-data.com/. You can type in any city or zip code to see detailed information about it. They even have discussion forums there.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
I got it from a site called //www.city-data.com/. You can type in any city or zip code to see detailed information about it. They even have discussion forums there.
The graph is not visible on the city page:
//www.city-data.com/city/Austin-Texas.html

It's under the housing link for "Austin, TX residents, houses, and apartments details" just under the list of zip codes:
//www.city-data.com/housing/hou...tin-Texas.html

Old 07-01-2012, 01:51 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,276,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeeker View Post
Being a single woman who would like a relationship, having more men than women in a city also may make dating a bit easier.
Then again, it might not:

Quote:
For single people looking to actually find a match, that is not a good thing. Forbes and Kiplinger present volume of daters as a positive, but the research of Sheena Iyengar suggests otherwise. Back in the ‘90s, Iyengar noticed something odd about her local luxury grocery store. Though the shop was “renowned for its huge selection of produce, packaged foods, and wine,” Iyengar “often walked out empty-handed, unable to settle on just one bottle of mustard or olive oil when she had hundreds of options.” The experience fueled Iyengar’s research into the psychology of choice. What she discovered were “neurological limits on humans’ ability to process information” that meant “the task of having to choose is often experienced as suffering, not pleasure.” Iyengar concluded that “the explosion of choice has made it more difficult overall for people to identify what they want and how to get it.”

Like a shelf stocked full with fancy mustards, too many potential mates makes it harder to settle on just one.

Old 07-01-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Then again, it might not:
I read the same article some time back and is why I enjoy eating at Chipotle - just a few options to choose from and I am fine with that.

However, using this argument with dating, and single men trying to find a woman, does not hold up. It makes the assumption that men have CHOICES and some men, like myself, do not have choices. This does not mean I am picky and holding out for a model - hardly. I've been attracted to TONS of different women and many that I've seen in Ausitn. The problem is they are not attracted to me, and thus, it is not a choice.

Women on the other hand, have choice. They can sex it up at a bar and then merely decide who they want to pair off with from the number of men showing interest. With men, they need to present their best case to a woman hope that they are chosen. Choice is in the hands of women, not men.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:05 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,548,407 times
Quote:
Who knew?!?!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: