Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 07:35 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,469,203 times

Advertisements

Listen, I don't agree with a good portion of Ro's post, but he does have a point to some degree. Let's boil the post down more than the gut reaction of "*********, Yankee". Blame the hype machines for why Ro feels the way that he does. Austin is a great city, but it is painted as this Mecca for most things good - jobs, COL, blah blah blah. Reality is a bit of a different story, and I've been here 8 years (and have no intention of moving back, so this Yankee is staying). It's not teeming with jobs...it depends on which industry you work in. Austin has appropriate crime for a city its size...nothing more, nothing less. It does have gangs. It does have 'hoods. Maybe not as bleak as the Fifth Ward, but it has them. And I am not a fan of the school budget cuts at all. I'm laying this out there not as an Austin hater, but as a reality check so that some people will not move with their heads in the proverbial clouds thinking that they should take leave of their senses. If you keep it real, then you'll be a-ok.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:21 PM

8 posts, read 11,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Gee, only 4 posts to your credit here at City-Data and every one of them trying to spread false and unsubstantiated rumours and B.S. regarding how bad crime is here.

You want to back up stats with anecdotal evidence? What crap.

Looks pretty clearly to me that you are intentionally trying to spread lies about an area you know almost nothing about. The data speaks for it self and I have studied it in depth for years. Violent crime of every type is very low in all parts of Austin, even the worst neighborhoods have much lower violent crime rates then most parts of NYC.

Property crime rates are high but almost entirely consistent of petty theft, shop lifting and burglary of automobiles in shopping centers. Actual burglary of residences is very rare.

Austin is not Texas so your efforts to denigrate Austin based on Texas problems are just another reflection of your ignorance. Go crawl back under your rock.
Unsubstantiated eh? You should have read my other posts. Actual burglaries are rare? Please look at the data. Austin ranks amongst the highest in the nation in said category. It is not the highest but it is up there.

" Violent crime of every type is very low in all parts of Austin, even the worst neighborhoods have much lower violent crime rates then most parts of NYC. "

Seriously now? NYC has ten times the population of Austin. The overall murder rate is slightly higher than that of austin (about 15% higher). NYC includes some very nice parts in Manhattan but especially in the boroughs like Staten Island and Queens that have substantially lower murder rates than parts of austin. Notice the wording there. It was very specific. Also note that NYC burbs (long island (nassau, suffolk county), Westchester, parts of CT and Jersey have crime rates so low that they make austin look like a third world nation. Also, The rape rate in NYC overall (yep that is violent) is lower, about 1/3 that of austin. You'll see this on the wiki chart.

"Austin is not Texas so your efforts to denigrate Austin based on Texas problems are just another reflection of your ignorance. Go crawl back under your rock"

What rock. I'm trying to address a legitimate problem. Below are links to substantiate my purported "ignorance." The Raids link lets you set data for a year. Do it. I also included an article on crime in NY. Read it. Learn. Now for the dude who claims we messed up new york and ran away I have some info. People don't leave New York because they hate it. They leave because it is expensive and home ownership is out of many people's reach. That is a product of policies of the fed (low interest rate, easy money, etc). Don't blame us for that.

Crime data for 111th precint in Queens (includes Bayside and others)
http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...s/cs111pct.pdf

General Crime Data.
RAIDS Online: Regional Analysis and Information Sharing

United States cities by crime rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

FBI — Uniform Crime Reports

Old 07-27-2012, 08:33 PM

I would like to point out here that I'm not trying to diss austin. As i said repeatedly, I like Austin. The people here (transplants and locals) have been very good to me and friendly. I don't harbor a grudge and i don't wish to tell you how to run your state but i am disgusted by the crime. It is not okay. I'm disgusted in part because it is unacceptable to me and I'm intend to leave in the next 12 months as a result. I'm sad about that. I'm not happy about it. I like it here but i will not raise a child here when grew up in an area with as close to zero crime as you are going to get with any population.

I further add that crime is Austin is likely to decline because the demographics are changing towards the more affluent. Affluent groups participate less in such activity. I don't intend to hang around and find out whether i am right or not but i do wish the city's denizens the best.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoHSNYC View Post
I would like to point out here that I'm not trying to diss austin. As i said repeatedly, I like Austin. The people here (transplants and locals) have been very good to me and friendly. I don't harbor a grudge and i don't wish to tell you how to run your state but i am disgusted by the crime. It is not okay. I'm disgusted in part because it is unacceptable to me and I'm intend to leave in the next 12 months as a result. I'm sad about that. I'm not happy about it. I like it here but i will not raise a child here when grew up in an area with as close to zero crime as you are going to get with any population.

I further add that crime is Austin is likely to decline because the demographics are changing towards the more affluent. Affluent groups participate less in such activity. I don't intend to hang around and find out whether i am right or not but i do wish the city's denizens the best.
This is a joke post..............right??????
You're leaving Austin due to the 'unacceptable' crime. And you claim you're from NYC, is that right. What little validity you somewhat had is obliterated with this post. It,s frankly full of it. I know of few places in NYC proper that are close to zero crime. Sorry if austin isn't all sparkly for you. Tell me what is the going rate for homes in utopia.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:57 PM

I was born in Queens. I last lived in Manhattan. I grew up from age 10 in the burbs of NYC. I will likely go back to the burbs of NYC, not NYC proper.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:59 PM

Note: I did not have a child in Manhattan. I'd hate to raise a kid in Manhattan. That would be a pain in the rear. Some do do it though.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:18 PM

The burbs of NYC are not NYC. If you are talking about some area of l.i. Or westchester county..again, some areas, that is not a fair comparison. Those places are highly affluent, and even then they are not close to zero crime. You are comparing the entire city of Austin to a few suburbs up north. That,s crazy. Sorry that austin isn't affluent enough for you. I can totally see why many people are saying, go home then.

Personally, I was born and raised in the city..middle classed... And I can tell you that my children have nearly the same quality of life here, if not better, as a kid raised on the island.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:45 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,050,807 times
Quote:
I would like to point out here that I'm not trying to diss austin. ...
Yes you are. It can be proven statistically and anecdotal, right here in this thread.

You've come onto the boards here and successfully ruined your credibility among those of us who have lived here, raised families here, work and play here, own businesses here, and who know Austin to be a safe and friendly city. As good or better than any of its peer cities in almost ever social and lifestyle measure.

What exactly is your beef?

After reading through this entire thread for the first time, it's clear to me that you're uninformed and not at all knowledgeable about living in Austin, not at all knowledgeable about how we perceive, react to, and think of "crime" in Austin. We're doing fine without you sounding the "warning bell", and are not in "denial" as you accuse us of being in one of your posts.

Do your analysis based on whatever measures you deem credible, then find that perfect, safe little pocket of Austin to snuggle into and curl up in. Do whatever you need to do to achieve whatever feeling of personal safety you want, but stop telling the rest of us what we should think or that we should be more afraid than we are.

Steve

Old 11-08-2012, 10:14 PM

Yup Austin has low crime. New stats.

"Austin had the seventh highest property crime rate out of the 33 cities ranked, with 5,235 incidents of property crime per 100,000 people. In Texas, only San Antonio has a higher property crime rate, with 5,967 incidents per 100,000 people."

Note: the Rape rate ain't that low. It is roughly at the national average, itself high. Moreover, there is not a single zip in all of austin, including its purported suburbs, that has authentically low rape rates. The best is about 40% of the national average only in two zips which are austin burbs. You can find 1/4, 1/10, and even 1/20 the national average in civilized cities/burbs

The Austin response to this? Dig your head deeper in the sand and hope the people moving in from the East Coast and other decent parts of the country lower your crime rate.

Austin decreases crime rates across the board | The Daily Texan

Old 11-08-2012, 10:26 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,317,371 times
Quote:
Yup Austin has low crime. New stats.

"Austin had the seventh highest property crime rate out of the 33 cities ranked, with 5,235 incidents of property crime per 100,000 people. In Texas, only San Antonio has a higher property crime rate, with 5,967 incidents per 100,000 people."

Note: the Rape rate ain't that low. It is roughly at the national average, itself high. Moreover, there is not a single zip in all of austin, including its purported suburbs, that has authentically low rape rates. The best is about 40% of the national average only in two zips which are austin burbs. You can find 1/4, 1/10, and even 1/20 the national average in civilized cities/burbs

The Austin response to this? Dig your head deeper in the sand and hope the people moving in from the East Coast and other decent parts of the country lower your crime rate.

Austin decreases crime rates across the board | The Daily Texan
Well its a question of which you would rather have: a higher chance of something getting stolen, or being killed and or beaten? I choose the former.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin