U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2007, 02:21 PM

51 posts, read 117,028 times

Advertisements

Hello Austin-faithful,

Another post from an individual considering a move to Austin... I know I know, "just stay where you are". But there's got to be a reason why so many people are moving there. I've read through many of the posts on this site and I've gotten a vague appreciation of the city. However, is there anyone out there who could answer a couple of targeted questions?

1. How is the job market for a recent college grad who currently works in the legal field? Not an attorney, but staff level. What's the job market like for 20-somethings and are there any tips on finding jobs in the Austin area (i.e. good staffing/placement services, craigslist, etc.)?

2. How dog-friendly is Austin? Is the weather such that you can take your dog out at most times during the day? Or do you have to avoid the heat mostly (meaning the dog goes out at night or in the morning - I have a black lab)?

3. What is the nightlife like? I hear its amazing. How are the people? Is it a "college town" at the core or is it cultural enough that watching the local fraternity boys puke their guts out is rare?

4. Can you recommend decent neighborhoods for a couple of guys aged 25 and 26 (straight, like to drink, like clean areas)? Not looking to buy. Renters.

5. Most important: Is it worth the move? I currently live in Seattle and the weather makes me depressed. Its true, the weather in Seattle is awful. You have to be able to handle it, and I cannot. I've lived all over the country (East Coast, West Coast and in the middle) and I particularly liked Denver. Lots of sun, outdoor activities, young crowds, good bars, good food, stores, neighborhoods, and the like.

Thanks! Any and all feedback is appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2007, 03:42 PM

8,239 posts, read 16,521,000 times
Well, not to discourage you...but you'll be competing with a whole bunch of UT Austin grads who want nothing more than to STAY in Austin. It's a great town, though- getting more crowded, more congested and more expensive. Good luck.

Old 09-29-2007, 01:28 PM

25,153 posts, read 51,967,592 times
Try houston or dallas. those cities RULE! heck even san antonio is awesome.

Old 09-29-2007, 02:17 PM

9,248 posts, read 25,426,992 times
Denver has more similarities to Austin, but Houston may be better in the job market category, and its cultural scene is broader. There are colleges there, but it is not a "college town". Dallas would be like that too., Although I think Houston has a more relaxed sort of vibe than Dallas. Both have cool neighborhoods with a good nightlife scene. Austin, of course, has a good night life scene.

Old 09-29-2007, 02:19 PM

22 posts, read 102,750 times
the ut austin thing is something to consider. youre getting 1000's of kids graduating each year and it def floods the job market. and from what ive seen, employers love to snatch up the recent grads, esentially cuz they are recent grads and they dont have to pay them as much. craigslist is great.
austin is super dog friendly. tons of parks, unleashed even. its hot, but i dont think it will kill your pooch to take him on a walk mid day.
nightlife is awesome. you can find something to do any night. and theres so many small cool lil venues, i think youd have a hard time even scratching the surface. and not just bars and music though. festivals and special events, or even the 2am bicycle ride group.
since ut is in the middle, you get a lot of college town feel there, and if you wanted to see some frat boys puking just go down to 6th street. but i live in south austin and its a whole different vibe. and its maybe 10 minutes away. very diverse this city.
everything you listed as perks to denver apply here too.
good luck!

Old 09-29-2007, 07:08 PM

1,618 posts, read 6,369,438 times
So what's stopping you to go to Denver if you enjoyed it?

Here is my take and I will keep it simple.

Austin is not that big of a city, we have a lot of colleges here and graduates that don't leave. Lots of students come out of college to work here in Austin and not really get great pay. The reward is lifestyle and activity. You can make it here big, but can take some time to show the employer that you are important asset. I see plenty of cocky kids come to interviews thinking that just b/c they go a MBA or Bachelor degree that they should be paid big. NOT SO FAST, slow it down SON !!!! So if you come to Austin and expecting to make big $$ just b/c your a graduate, don't count on it! Congratulations that you got a degree. Now just go get a job and climb up the ladder. The reward at the end is living is Austin is PRICELESS!! I even had to climb up that broken ladder.

As for jobs, they are not hard to find or come-by IMHO.

Love-Roses really explained what I meant to say

Old 09-29-2007, 09:31 PM

2,184 posts, read 6,105,876 times
I moved here from Seattle seven years ago. I hear you about the depressing weather. I was happy to get away from it. The sunshine is wonderful. It does get hot, but the winters are great.

Old 09-30-2007, 12:15 AM

11 posts, read 25,455 times
Default just moved here and I'm a recent college grad

Not to discourage you...but finding a job here is NOT easy (despite what I've heard). they do not pay well at all! They say starting sallary for a college grad is mid 20's...I moved from Phoenix, where my friends and I were getting job offers for high 30's to low 40s.

I finally found somthing, but it took about 2 months.

There are just so many UT grads who love it here...you gotta compete with that. not easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin