Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 09:38 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,981,726 times

Advertisements

If you've permanently moved your family to a new city, why not embrace the new city and all that it offers instead of moaning about what you don't have or how things aren't as good as wherever you came from? I hear those same moans all the time from friends, and it really gets irritating. If things were so much better back home, then go back home. Otherwise, embrace Austin/Central Texas/Texas/the Southwest and acclimate. It really isn't as bad as you might think once you open your eyes and see all the possibilities out there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 09:46 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,048,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
There are actually 3 in Austin's extended area, strung along I-35, in Round Rock, Buda, and San Marcos.
Outside of Round Rock occasionally, I'm never out in those areas so I guess I just never noticed. I remember seeing several on I-10 in the southeast US.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:52 AM

73 posts, read 191,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleavelle View Post
I see several posts from those moving to Austin, or thinking of moving here to Austin. My wife and I made the move six months ago to get back into a career we had been in for fifteen years but left for three (residential childcare). I had always thought about living in Texas because I'm a conservative, Christian, that hates the cold, ice and snow. So here are my thoughts in hopes they may help. Some of these are complaints, sorry Austinites. I don't hate it here no matter how some of these sound lol.

1) Traffic here is nuts during rush hours, holidays, etc. Yes, it may be that way in every major City but it's as bad here as anywhere during peak hours. They simply haven't kept pace road construction wise with the boom in population. From 4:30-6:30pm it might take you over an hour to go 10 miles. Live near where you work and plan ahead and we have no problem. After DC traffic this is a breeze imo.

2) If you don't like BBQ and Mexican food you're going to starve. I thought there would be more "meat and potato" style resteraunts here but there aren't. Austin doesn't have a Cracker Barrel or Bob Evans for example. The locals think I'm nuts, but I miss that kind of "down home" food. If you love Texmex and Tacos you'll be in heaven though! I can't even find good bread! No potato rolls, one brand of Italian bread (store bought, sliced bread I mean), very few brands of store bought ice creme, very limited brands of store bought pastas, very limited brands of potato chips. I think the pizza available here is pretty bad, I've found ONE place that has pizza I like. (Brooklyn Pie Company) MMMM BBQ, Bob Evans gross no thanks there is a cracker barrel in Buda. Okay yeah I miss potato rolls i'll give you that oh and I want rye lol. Have you been to central market? the bread is awesome. It's all about blue bell and amys for ice cream. Store bought pasta ick make my own. What's your potato chip? Pizza your fault try others. The way the wife and I look at it this is a great cooking city the produce is amazing here. I don't think we have bought more than a dozen canned good's in the last 6 months.

3) If water sports/activities are your thing you will LOVE it here! If they aren't, you might be a little bored.(Note-if public nudity bothers you, do NOT go to Barton Creek Pool!) I grew up in the back woods. I mean a TINY little area. However, we had a ton of lakes, swimming holes, and ponds. We had a ton of trails and paths through the woods too. I was hoping to live in the "concrete jungle" for a change, but Austin is more about Rivers, lakes, trails, and wooded areas. There are no amusement parks what so ever. We wind up going to San Antonio all the time from Six Flags, Sea World, The River Walk, The Zoo, and Schlitterbahn Water Park (not in San Antonio, but closer to S.A. than it is to Austin). Don't be a prude oh no topless women run for the hills. Want a concrete jungle go to NYC or LA. Im glad we don't have amusement parks.

4) So many homeless! At nearly every intersection you will find someone with a sign begging for money. The only place I've ever seen more homeless is Baltimore. Yeah that is true.

5) If you like Burger King or Arbys there are few of them here. Not a big deal, but as someone who likes both it's something I've noticed. Gross on both.

6) In the same way as the roads haven't been kept up to speed with the amount of people moving here, neither have many establishments. Grocery stores, malls, post offices, etc. are often packed to the gills with people and service is slow because it seems to me that the establishments are too small for the amount of people frequenting them. Such is life

7) There doesn't seem to be such a thing as "fast lanes" down here. People drive the same speeds in all lanes. If you're running late, and think getting in the far left lane means you'll travel a faster pace, forget it, it doesn't happen. People down here "mosey." In the same light, if you think this is Texas, friendly people live here, so bad traffic may not be as annoying....forget that too. Few "natural born Texans" are in Austin. The roads are full of mostly Southern Californians then anything else. You have to learn to drive aggressively or you'll never get around in Austin. Adjust

8) Massive crowds everywhere. Understand this is my first City, but if you plan to do something like attend a movie on opening night, you better buy your tickets days in advance, and then get in line a minimum of two hours early if you don't want to sit in the very front rows. That's normal everywhere oh and again why go opening night.

9) The local arena doesn't often get in big name acts/performances. Austin is FULL of "live music" but they are unknown artists and cover bands. Normally, if you want to see a big name act, you're going to have to go to Dallas. San Antonio doesn't get many either! I find that fascinating and frustrating. I thought that surely Austin would get a TON of big name country stars come to town, but so far, none at all, and none of the horizon. Larger venues in the other cities and try new music out.

10) Public transportation is horrible. Bus service is poor, taxi service is limited. Be prepared to drive everywhere you need to go unless you live in the center city and find a job and grocery store you can walk to. This isn't Philly, you're not going to easily take a bus anywhere you need to go. You said it not Philly drive your self.

At first I hated it here because it was such an adjustment, but I'm getting more used to it. I still prefer San Antonio to Austin at this point, we'll see if that changes. I just wish there were more things to do with our kids (5 teen girls) than swim and boat. I LOVED Barton Creek pool, but women whipping their tops off as they see fit just doesn't sit well with and my wife. I hope this helps someone, and again sorry if it's sounds like a bi**h session. I wish someone would have told me these things before we moved. I would have still moved down, it just would have been nice to know.
Move to San Antonio sounds like you will be happier you have 5 teen girls and worried they will see anatomy they have.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:54 AM

73 posts, read 191,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RooCeleste View Post
If you've permanently moved your family to a new city, why not embrace the new city and all that it offers instead of moaning about what you don't have or how things aren't as good as wherever you came from? I hear those same moans all the time from friends, and it really gets irritating. If things were so much better back home, then go back home. Otherwise, embrace Austin/Central Texas/Texas/the Southwest and acclimate. It really isn't as bad as you might think once you open your eyes and see all the possibilities out there!
That's what we did 17 months love the weather and life style.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:55 AM

239 posts, read 518,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Honestly, when I read something like this, I just scratch my head and wonder, is this person actually even IN Austin?

Austin is a foodie destination, home to more celebrated restaurants than cities many times its size. Whatever flavor you want, you can find it in Austin. Oh, yeah, that's right, there's actually no Afghan restaurant, but other than that...
Sorry, but Austin is a foodie destination only in the minds of Austinites. Sorry, that's just the way it is. Sure, there are a couple of good offerings and hopefully more to come, but most establishments in Austin - even those that are supposedly "superb" - just don't measure up to those of us from cities that actually are "foodie destinations". The phrase "one man's ceiling is another man's floor" comes to mind.

I'll point out that Olive Garden and Panera bread made their way onto last year's Chronicle "best of list"...btw

And to differ with another poster....there is NO good Italian in Austin.

My 2 cents.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:58 AM

239 posts, read 518,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RooCeleste View Post
If you've permanently moved your family to a new city, why not embrace the new city and all that it offers instead of moaning about what you don't have or how things aren't as good as wherever you came from? I hear those same moans all the time from friends,
Wow...if you hear complaints ALL the time...maybe, just maybe there's something there?

Old 07-09-2012, 10:11 AM

1,157 posts, read 2,651,276 times
You know, I think I do agree with most on here- if you've been to WF or Central Market the chips are there. I travel to PA often enough to know that I see the same things here now that I see there and I've even toured the Utz factory!

You will also find the same pasta at CM and WF and now at many HEBs.

If you've lived in North Texas you'll know that country isn't as big here as you think it is... and as big as it is there.

We do have a ton of great restaurants and in fact, are known as quite the foodie destination for foods other than Mex/Texican/BBQ. You simply haven't tried.

I certainly think Austin is becoming on par with most large metro areas in terms of food, music and culture. I moved from NYC and can definitely start to see similarities.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:37 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbchitown View Post
Sorry, but Austin is a foodie destination only in the minds of Austinites. Sorry, that's just the way it is. Sure, there are a couple of good offerings and hopefully more to come, but most establishments in Austin - even those that are supposedly "superb" - just don't measure up to those of us from cities that actually are "foodie destinations". The phrase "one man's ceiling is another man's floor" comes to mind.

I'll point out that Olive Garden and Panera bread made their way onto last year's Chronicle "best of list"...btw

And to differ with another poster....there is NO good Italian in Austin.

My 2 cents.
I'm thinking of all the absolutely-credentialed foodies (Anthony Bourdain, among others, who said, ""Listen, I'm not going to kiss your ass too much but it is not hard to find good food and a good time in Austin.") who come to Austin and love it for its foodie mentality, and wonder just what you're talking about.

Is it NYC? No, it's not, and it doesn't (and shouldn't) aspire to be. But I'd be willing to put Bourdain's experience of foodie destinations up against yours any day of the week.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:45 AM

156 posts, read 331,155 times
People are crazy. Austin has a great food for a town its size. It's no San Francisco or New York City, but it is easily the best foodie city in Texas (only competition would be Houston) despite being smaller than other cities.

As for Italian, I've had meals at Asti that rivaled/was better than the stuff I ate in Tuscany.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:53 AM

737 posts, read 1,582,036 times
Many people love Austin because it offers what other cities do not and vice versa. We lived in SA. The grass is always greener.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin