Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 07:32 PM

38 posts, read 135,327 times

Advertisements

Someone recommended Dans for great, greasy burgers. I went there today (Manachaka St.) and LOVED it! I highly recommend it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 07:56 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
It's spelled Manchaca, which isn't very hard to find out, and pronounced Man shack, which is a little harder to find out. But it's one of the local pronunciations that every newcomer has to learn.

Here's a recent thread that discusses this.
//www.city-data.com/forum/austi...unciation.html

And here's a recent thread that discusses a lot of local hamburger restaurant favorites:

//www.city-data.com/forum/austi...ound-rock.html

There are plenty more that you can find for yourself using the Search function.

Last edited by OpenD; 07-11-2012 at 08:30 PM..

Old 07-11-2012, 10:28 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,869,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
pronounced Man shack
NO ITS NOT! NO ITS NOT! NO ITS NOT!

Its pronounced as it is spelled.... man-cha-ca!

Its a spanish word. I'm mexican. Spanish is my first language. I should know.

Also. Guadalupe is pronounced as it is also spelled. Goo-ahh-dah-loop-eh Not goo-ahh-dah-loop. Every spanish word is pronounced almost exactly as it is spelled.

But yes, Dans Burgers are awesome! Frans too! Once had the same owners... but then there was a divorce or something like that... not sure. Anywho....

Old 07-11-2012, 10:34 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,399,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post

You would think that, but no. Pronounced manshack (also heard manchack a couple times, guess that's a compromise or something). Check the link in OpenD's post - there's a story behind it.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
You would think that, but no. Pronounced manshack (also heard manchack a couple times, guess that's a compromise or something). Check the link in OpenD's post - there's a story behind it.

here we go.

From the link:

"The judge started doing some research and he turned up evidence the road was named for Jose Antonio Menchaca (prounced main-CHAH-kah), a colonel in the Texas Army, a hero of the Battle of San Jacinto and a veteran of battles with Indians in the young republic."

The whole gripe of the article is the misspelling and how its mutated to what it is now. All Bob Perkins wants is to have it spelled as it originally is intended "Menchaca". The pronunciation will stick with "man-shack" even though its not the correct pronunciation.

And again... I would know. I speak spanish to my father every single second I speak to him. Menchaca is how we've alwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ays pronounced it.

Yes, Dans Burgers are great!

Old 07-11-2012, 10:45 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post

Its a spanish word. I'm mexican. Spanish is my first language. I should know.
But you don't know, because you're in San Francisco, and simply don't understand that the local pronunciation in Austin is non-standard for a LOT of place names.

Elgin - Manor - Guadaloupe - Mueller and many more are names that trip up newcomers because they're pronounced differently than you might think in Austin.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:51 PM

Quote:
But you don't know, because you're in San Francisco, and simply don't understand that the local pronunciation in Austin is non-standard for a LOT of place names.

Elgin - Manor - Guadaloupe - Mueller and many more are names that trip up newcomers because they're pronounced differently than you might think in Austin.
I lived in Austin for 13 years. My parents still live there and so does my sister, her husband and two little cute toddlers. I've only lived here in SF for 1 yr and 4 mo. Yes, I would know. Please understand that at the very least, the very correct spanish pronunciation is "men-chah-kah". You could pronounce it however you want but don't give anybody any gripe about having them pronounce it "man-shack" because its the wrong pronunciation and its demeaning to a spanish speaking person when a anglo-speaking person is now trying to correct them when they speak.

It's Menchaca. Thank you.

Also, try the fried mushrooms at Dans. They're awesome!

Old 07-11-2012, 11:07 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,399,291 times
For one. Bilingual as well here, so get off your "oh, it's demeaning" high horse. And who's the one giving anyone any grief? You're the one who jumped in here trying to correct people.

For two, if you walk around pronouncing it as it is spelled, you get really tired of people asking you where you're talking about. I gave it about 5 years, and gave up.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:25 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,773,995 times
Quote:
Or perhaps you're the one who doesn't know/understand, since your location is listed as Volcano, Hawai'i Whoops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleavelle View Post
Someone recommended Dans for great, greasy burgers. I went there today (Manachaka St.) and LOVED it! I highly recommend it.
It is excellent, now you need to try Fran's (Dan and Fran were once married ) and decide which you like better! Also, we have a handy little thread here where you can suggest or look for restaurant recommendations.
//www.city-data.com/forum/austi...t-you-ate.html

Old 07-11-2012, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
For one. Bilingual as well here, so get off your "oh, it's demeaning" high horse. And who's the one giving anyone any grief? You're the one who jumped in here trying to correct people.

For two, if you walk around pronouncing it as it is spelled, you get really tired of people asking you where you're talking about. I gave it about 5 years, and gave up.
haha this is funny.

Not true at all. OpenD was the first who opened the topic of the correct pronunciation. If someone's going to be giving grief about the pronunciation it should be spanish speaking people here. You should know better. tsk tsk tsk

And if it bothers people being corrected then why correct in the first place?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin