Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 11:22 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,582,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeacePlease View Post
this is a problem in Austin and Texas in general. People buy trucks, and rarely use them for what they are built for. On the way to work, I always see these monster SUVs and pickup trucks with only one person inside most likely driving to work. I would have thought with gas approaching $3/gal cars would shrink but it doesn't seem to be the case here.
Many people are so upside down in these vehicles with 84 mo financing, trade-ins, etc, that switching to a fuel efficient car or even an SUV/wagon crossover would just cost even more overall. Autos are always a losing game.

I used to manage an auto maintenance and repair shop and you'd be surprised the number of 4x4 vehicles that came in. Some had 80-90,000 miles on them with perfectly clean transfer case fluid. In other words, the owners never once switched on the 4x4, and many didn't know they even had it!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 11:32 AM

132 posts, read 540,366 times
The 4wd system on an rx350 is not true 4wd, which is to say it lacks a lo-range. I would get the 2wd if for nothing else the fuel savings.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:17 AM

6,330 posts, read 17,986,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeacePlease View Post
this is a problem in Austin and Texas in general. People buy trucks, and rarely use them for what they are built for. On the way to work, I always see these monster SUVs and pickup trucks with only one person inside most likely driving to work. I would have thought with gas approaching $3/gal cars would shrink but it doesn't seem to be the case here.
Well, I personally do use my truck a lot and would not be able to function without it. But I also have a 10 year old Saturn that I buzz around in for errands and stuff. I bought it specifically to 1) have a spare car when needed and 2) better gas mileage.

I've been tracking my milegae in my truck lately, for the last three fill-ups. It stays at 15 miles to the gallon in the city. On some days, I have to drive well over 100 miles in Austin, which is $20 in gas. Driving the smaller car doesn't save a ton of money but over a 1 year period the savings does add up to more than the cost of owning it.

Steve

Old 10-03-2007, 12:43 PM

3,373 posts, read 9,158,013 times
Like you said its cheaper to get a 2wd, you don't need it in austin, the car will be 200 lbs lighter, there is less stuff to break, and the mpg will be better.

The less stuff to break is a good thing too. It would suck to have something happen to teh 4wd system right when you went to sell it .

James

Old 10-03-2007, 01:47 PM

658 posts, read 1,999,523 times
I drive a Pickup that we bought to tow our RV. When I want to go more than a few miles I drive our Diesel Jetta that gets 43 mpg in city. Neither have 4wd.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:04 PM

791 posts, read 2,216,383 times
If your point is that you're buying a 4WD while living in Chicago for the purpose of driving snow and ice in the city and might you have need of same in Austin, then NO. Use the cash for a diamond, or an oil well.

Old 10-04-2007, 12:24 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,364,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willys View Post
If your point is that you're buying a 4WD while living in Chicago for the purpose of driving snow and ice in the city and might you have need of same in Austin, then NO.
Absoultely right.
In Colorado (where I moved from), 4WD is very handy (even essential) if you want to be able to drive to work every day.
In Austin, you just don't need it. Helpful in heavy rain, but not necessary.
It's one of those culture shocks you'll experience when moving from a cold place.
My 4WD did help me drive thru a lot of mud in the parking area for the Back Yard, saving me from sitting in LONG lines of traffic to get out. That made me happy - but I would never buy a 4WD here.

Old 10-04-2007, 11:17 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,596,033 times
We bought ours while we lived in Colorado, but have to agree that if you are buying a car here, I wouldn't bother with the 4wd. You probably don't even need it to drive the hills around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: