Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 01:01 PM

148 posts, read 604,718 times

Advertisements

Thanks, AT and DT, for your insightful and helpful info!

Actually, I jumped in on this thread and asked a question after Croatoan b/c he asked about the area of Austin I have figured was where I would want to be, if and when I move to Austin.

Croatoan has the 'no car' situation, and I have the 'dog' in central Florida now.

In my case, I will be retired, a single female, and like to be around all age groups. Like a combination of hip, trendy, established, traditional (as in 'days of yesterday' homes), avante-garde, artsy...sounds like central Austin. If I get out of Florida, will be fleeing the developer craze mania here and looking for the real neighborhoods that people are starting to want more and more. Can afford $900-I guess $1500 or more if really love something for rentals. Later, would look at the home purchase.

Would probably love the downtown loft scenario, but may be too pricey and maybe I would be a little too old for the young crowd, although I love young people and still feel like it was just yesterday that I was young. More than that, the pooch requires her green roaming range.

Thanks for the feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2006, 05:14 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,668,971 times
Default Southern Austin

I seem to remember apartments along the river bank in southern Austin (not too far from downtown). I don't know how much they are, but it is a nice place to walk the dog and jog.

Deeptrance, what do you know about this area?

Old 09-25-2006, 07:38 PM

944 posts, read 3,954,703 times
AT --- Yes, I know the castle. Didn't know it sold to Robert Rodriguez, that's totally cool! And why is Tarantino so fascinated with Austin? He's always hanging around here. Same with Ethan Hawke and Uma Thurman.

Anyone looking to rent for $400-$600 will have to settle for either sharing a place with roommates or renting a really small place in a marginal neighborhood.

roaring-rox: for your needs, you will find many places that work perfectly EXCEPT for the rent problem. I'd highly recommend you start checking Craigslist, find something that sounds interesting, then tell us where it is and we can tell you what the area is like. Right now I'm renting a room in a house with 2 women who fit your self-description PERFECTLY, and we live across the street from a nice greenbelt with a half-mile loop trail that is lovely and just the right distance for my 16-year-old dog to hobble around. PM me if you want to take over my rental, I'm leaving in a couple weeks. Or I can put you in contact with these women and they'll hook you up with some other possibilities. They're both in their late 50s and are super cool, very friendly, high integrity, good folks to know.

Steel Man -- all I know about rents just south of the river is that prices are going up FAST, but I do think there are a couple of complexes that are still within rox's price range that are pretty nice and you can have a view of the lake and downtown while being in a fairly safe neighborhood within walking distance of downtown. There's a website called Austin Cool dot com that I've used, they specialize in those areas and are good folks, but there are also many other apartment hunters in the area and roxy can just do a search for them.

Old 09-27-2006, 09:56 AM

Default apartments, etc.

Thank you, deeptrance, for info on apts. south of the river in Austin! That helps give me a realistic glimpse of how the Austin market is going.

Since $1500 was top of my range, your response shows me that Austin is moving up in prices fast.

I won't be able to move for a while yet, so have to resign myself to fact that everywhere is getting more expensive.

Raleigh/Durham/CH area has intrigued me also, so on other posts, was happy to read that it is similar to 'old Austin'...somehow, I had a feeling that the RDC area was/is a creative place.

Just a question that anyone can speculate on along with me---is Texas likely to start a state income tax sooner or later (or in a few years)? If they do, then Florida surely will also. Heard talk on here about Texas possibly going that route and think with state employee pensions, etc., the no-tax states may change.

If they do, then at least that would be one less afforbability factor to consider. NC has a 7 % state tax...but if FL and TX change to state taxation, then that is no longer a factor.

Old 09-27-2006, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roaring-rox View Post
Just a question that anyone can speculate on along with me---is Texas likely to start a state income tax sooner or later (or in a few years)? If they do, then Florida surely will also. Heard talk on here about Texas possibly going that route and think with state employee pensions, etc., the no-tax states may change.

If they do, then at least that would be one less afforbability factor to consider. NC has a 7 % state tax...but if FL and TX change to state taxation, then that is no longer a factor.
It's tricky to calculate what your actual cost of living will be in a different state because you also have to consider the effect of property taxes on rents or ownership, the high sales tax rates in states with no income tax, and the hidden benefits and costs associated with all the different forms of state governance. I personally don't think you should base your decision on whether a state has an income tax. remember, you can deduct state taxes on your federal tax return, plus it's a more predictable form of taxation than property and sales taxes. I'm not saying one is better than another, just that it all kind of evens out and wages make up the difference.

Supply and demand, ya know? If it costs more to live somewhere, then they either have wealthy retirees or higher wages or both in that location. But one other thing affects cost of living relative to wages, and that's the intangibles that make people want to live somewhere. People want to live in Austin and are willing to give up a certain amount of income, living space, etc., just so they can be here. So that drives prices up higher than they should be relative to wages. In other words, it's not very affordable here because it's very desireable, so prices are demand-driven rather than being cost-driven.

Old 09-27-2006, 03:37 PM

Default is tricky

Yes, agree, DT, it is tricky to compare states because of variables you mentioned...have been trying to do that to an extent and it probably is futile...better to let it slide and later on make a decision based on where want to live. Would be a more enjoyable way to approach the relocation process.

Old 09-27-2006, 04:29 PM

Roxy Roarer, why don't you use us for processing your decision a bit more? I suggest you list the top ten things you're looking for in your next location. Rank them in importance if you can. Doesn't have to be 10, it might be 3 or 30, whatever matters to you only YOU can say. Then we'll try to help you figure out how to maximize your happiness with the right location!

In case this sounds like a weird suggestion, I should let you know that I've had an idea for a location consulting business since about 1980, but I've just never figured out how to make a living off it. So, here I am offering it for free, but it comes with more ignorance on my part than if I were setting myself up as a professional consultant. Between all the people who participate on this forum, you can get a balanced view of things and it's free, so go for it. USE us!

Old 09-27-2006, 09:35 PM

92 posts, read 673,763 times
Default N vs. S vs. Central/Hyde Park?

I used to live in South Austin and loved it.
But that was a few decades ago, when rent and gas prices were reasonable,
politicians were noble and didn't philander, and youngsters showed respect toward their elders

I've also lived in N. Austin (near Highland Mall), and it just didn't have the good 'old Austin' feel.

Central Austin/Hyde Park? I'd love living there, but no way I could afford it.

East of I-35? Not for me.

Northwest Hills of Austin (kinda near Arboretum area) is very nice, but way outa my price range. (Didja hear about possible expansion of Mopac?)

South Austin still has much more of the "old Austin" feel than does N. Austin, and would LOVE to live there again, but can't afford that, either.
So, I remain kinda settled in just NW of Austin, still knowing I'm close enough that I can readily take advantage of outdoor concerts at Zilker Park, Blues on the Green, Shady Grove, The BackYard, etc.

Old 09-28-2006, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman107 View Post
East of I-35? Not for me.
How recently have you explored it? You might be surprised by how fast it's changing. I'm only talking aout the area between Airport Blvd. and Town Lake, within a half mile of I-35. Puts you in walking distance of UT and/or downtown. Not bad, and still sort of affordable, though getting pricier all the time.

Old 09-28-2006, 07:02 AM

92 posts, read 673,763 times
Default Different parts of Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeptrance View Post
How recently have you explored it? You might be surprised by how fast it's changing. I'm only talking aout the area between Airport Blvd. and Town Lake, within a half mile of I-35. Puts you in walking distance of UT and/or downtown. Not bad, and still sort of affordable, though getting pricier all the time.
I must admit I haven't explored E or SE Austin in years.
So I shouldn't speak of that which I do not know.

Which, in turn, means I should essentially be mute
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin