Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2012, 07:39 AM

99 posts, read 207,442 times

Advertisements

Yesterday as I was mowing the lawn, I noticed what looks to be like the Crazy Raspberry Ants that I've read about online. They were smaller and lighter in color, and moved around in very fast and strange patterns. I also heard my a/c condenser unit cut out and come back on within a few seconds multiple times. Hope it's not because of the ants. I live in north east austin near 183 & 290

For those who don't know about the problem, they are new ants that aren't really affected by traditional ant bait, are difficult to kill because they have multiple queens and are attracted to electrical equipment. When they short out the equipment and die, they release chemicals attracting many other ants to rush over causing more problems.

Rasberry crazy ants starting to appear in Williamson and Travis counties
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 08:44 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,777,163 times
We got them in briarcliff...

Alien Invasion: Rasberry Crazy Ants on the Move « Travis County in Transition

Old 07-20-2012, 08:57 AM

101 posts, read 193,412 times
In Alabama, we had whatever species of fire/crazy ants take over the neighborhood. (They interbreed.) Eradication was hopeless -- they build interconnected cities underground. Kill one mound, a new one pops up next to it the next day.

The one nice thing is that they do eat termites and roaches.

This is probably what it looks like under your back yard.

Last edited by catholicdad; 07-20-2012 at 09:07 AM..

Old 07-20-2012, 09:12 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,102,284 times
I haven't seen them in SW, although that doesn't mean they aren't here. By the way, the correct spelling of these ants is Rasberry. I know that is incorrect, if you are naming them after the berry, but they were named after an exterminator, Tom Rasberry, who first identified them as a problem. At least that's what Wikipedia says.

Old 07-21-2012, 07:21 AM

709 posts, read 1,401,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
By the way, the correct spelling of these ants is Rasberry. I know that is incorrect, if you are naming them after the berry, but they were named after an exterminator, Tom Rasberry, who first identified them as a problem. At least that's what Wikipedia says.
Glad you mentioned that. I had naturally just assumed an aggie had named them.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:50 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
Apparently they don't bite, and they kill fire ants.

So I guess I say welcome to our crazy new ant friends. If I have to protect my electrical wires more, I'm OK with that to never have to worry about a fire ant bite again.

Old 07-21-2012, 06:08 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,777,163 times
I saw both ants today living side by side having a grand ole time...

Old 07-22-2012, 05:53 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,052,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Apparently they don't bite, and they kill fire ants.
Really, they kill fire ants? Bring it on then!

But no, I haven't personally seem them yet.

Old 08-19-2012, 05:34 AM

1 posts, read 1,883 times
Default Crazy Ants in South Austin, Buda

We live close to Manchaca and Buda on 5 acres. A year ago we had fire ants everywhere. Today, nothing but crazy ants. They got into the electrical system in our well house and office. In the last 3 weeks we have spent over $400 using a traditional pest control company. They sprayed 3 separate times. But we still have crazy ants everywhere. They even got into our cars and they multiply very quickly. One day they created a nest under my husband's briefcase in his car in just a few hours. We are now working with a company called Chem Free. They are going to come every 8 weeks and the initial visit cost $200 but all the subsequent visits will be $80. They are confident they can control the ants enough to keep them out of our structures. I hope so because one night my 13 year old son woke up in the middle of the night covered in ants. He refused to sleep in his bed for days. The Terro ant baits with boric acid work best indoors. They swarm the bait for a few days but then are basically gone from whatever room you put the boats in. I hear they also can wipe out honey bees and other wildlife. I would take fire ants anyway! But it is too late for that. They are here to stay. All we can do is knock down their colonies enough to minimize damage. So far, I think Chemical Free with there less toxic approach is working the best. They seem to have a clear understanding of the ants behavior and nesting patterns to control them with the least cost and harm to the environment. I wish I had called them first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin