Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 08:55 AM

16 posts, read 44,288 times

Advertisements

Hope this is the right forum for this question...
We are relocated to TX and looking for a few things.

A small town within an hours drive or so to either Austin or San Antonio. I want to stay far away from any city traffic! I'd be happy to never see another interstate again

An established Catholic Parish or good community involved school system. We will be raising our young children and hope to find a town where there are also young families.

We love love! Texas and know that wherever we end up we will find the friendly people so I don't even need to ask about that The reason we are moving to TX in the first place. Good people!!!

We have looked at Shiner, TX because of the great Catholic School that is well established there. Looking for other recommendations such as this. Maybe on the other side of 35...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 09:16 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,194,222 times
Buda has an beautiful Catholic church Santa Cruz and a private Catholic school right next to the church. Its a really nice community. In New Braunfels they have a Catholic School and Church Saints Peter and Paul Catholic Church & School.
This entire area from Buda to San Antonio is very pretty, people friendly. Good luck on your move.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:32 AM

thank you cp102!
I was a little leery of the New Braunfels area for fear of too much tourism and traffic but I'm sure there would be outskirts areas that would fit perfectly. I will look into both of those Catholic Parishes.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:59 AM

2,007 posts, read 2,903,046 times
lake mcqueeney, canyon lake, blanco, boerne. but speaking from someone who grew up in various small towns in TX don't avoid the cities all the time Sometimes kids get in trouble when there is nothing to do, not enough culture, diversity, etc. just my opinion, but I admit I'm very biased towards city life now.

Old 07-21-2012, 11:38 AM

Thank you clarksvillemom!
I agree with needing to have an outlet for some of the culture/diversity that cities do have to offer. That is why we think the area between SA and Austin is key. Our children are babies now and we would like to plant our roots and raise them in a small town. But eventually we want to have access and for them to have access to some of the "things" a city has to offer if they desire that. I've been reading that alot of folks think that Boerne is loosing its small town feel..true??

Old 07-21-2012, 11:42 AM

2,007 posts, read 2,903,046 times
that could be true about Boerne (if you;re not from here, it's pronounced Bernie) - there is a lot of money there now and huge houses/developments. Not sure. Also, Driftwood, but there's not even much of a town out there.

Old 07-21-2012, 12:07 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,222,523 times
We recently relocated to the Marble Falls area
I like the proximity to Austin without the city issues - traffic, crime etc.
Can't help on the Catholic church question other than to say there is one here

We really like the rural feel of the hill country and it sure is beautiful

Old 07-21-2012, 12:12 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,275,400 times
I'd second the New Braunfels recommendation. We had friends who moved there just to put their kids in the Catholic elementary, and they loved it. Now, there is even a Catholic HS, which there wasn't when our friends went there.

I'd also take a look at Fredericksburg. Both cities, with a stong German heritage, have solid Catholic and Lutheran populations to this day. Only issue with F'burg is the Catholic school there stops at the 8th grade. The public HS is very well regarded.

Both are bigger cities than Shiner, but are still small towns. Both are also closer to SA and Austin than Shiner. In fact, NB is almost a SA bedroom community, while retaining a small town feel.

My 2¢. Worth what it cost you.

Old 07-21-2012, 01:00 PM

Thank you for all the feedback! It is great
With regards to New Braunfels...tell me- I've been there a few times and of course love love to visit it. But I'm just concerned that it it seems to hug 35. Is it possible to live there and not have to navigate the interstate? Does 35 not run right through the middle of it? Maybe for those local it doesn't seem to be too close..???
To give a little more insight to what I"m looking for. I have great friends who live in Gonzales but looking for a town with a little more character and a little more community feel for families with little ones. I don't want to offend anyone in Gonzales. I love going there!! Just hoping to find the perfect combination for my family.

Old 07-21-2012, 01:15 PM

I lived in Austin a while back and everyone always raved about Marble Falls. We had wanted to stay a little farther south in case my husband ended up working in SA. But we do keep hearing about Marble Falls. I noticed there is the Horse Shoe Bay Jet Center there. Do they fly helicopters out of that airport??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin